• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

(Decided) What To Buy - Opinions Appreciated

Supra_Natural

What to Buy?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. You suggest....

• Grand Vitara
    • X1
    • Mazda 6
    • Premio
    • Prius
    • Vesi
    • Kias
    • C Class
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Question

I've already had this chat with some of you chaps offline but I figured I would throw the question open to the AL hive mind as well and see what comes up.

After a solid 4 years of reliable service it's time to bid adios to our much loved Civic FD4. Total budget for a replacement is an absolute maximum of 5.6 Million and it will be used as a daily driver by the household (driven by a driver mostly) which means it will basically be in town traffic a lot and endure lots of stop starts and such.

The major priority to be honest is a car that will be pretty reliable with minimal unexpected problems cropping up I don't mind figuring out how to fix a car and getting it done but this can't be a rolling project as my hands are full enough with those :) . So something made within the last 4 years or so is where the focus lies as the .

Fuel economy is not a major concern but it can't be on a level that will cause thel hingannas to have coronaries either as I already have something in the stable that does that part quite well. So something that does around 7-8 in town is all right. Oh yeah, needs to be automatic as well and it would be a bonus if it is at least somewhat fun to drive (this is not essential though). Saloons or SUV/Crossovers preferred and I want something that has side and curtain airbags and all modern safety kit ideally.

Will look to keep it for four years or so and it would be nice if it retains some value at the end of that.

So now you have the background, let's meet the contenders.

2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara - 5.56 Million brand new ex stock at the agents.

Pros - 4 year/80K warranty, it's brand new, these are rugged and fairly solid trucks

Cons - Model is ancient/being replaced this year, 4WD not available, only two airbags, bit of a truck really, likely to depreciate heavily.

2011 BMW X1 S Drive 18i petrol - Approx 5 mill from BMW pre-owned. 41k on the clock - One specific vehicle in this case

Pros - Nice to drive, much better kit list than the average X1, versatile, basic N4x series petrol engine said to be better long term than the diesels, all the safety kit.

Cons - Inspection report highlighted quite a lot of repairs needed included a leaking power steering, owner has agreed to cover the cost of getting it done at the agents but I feel that is likely to be only the start.

2013 Mazda 6 2.0 - Going rate seems to be the 5.5 million range.

Pros - Looks good, comfy, fun to drive, surprisingly economical, should be reliable, will have about 1 year of agents warranty left.

Cons - Hard to find as owners hang on to them - there are only two cars on the market right now and owners are both doctors so they are being very stubborn on their price (5.7 and 5.8 in both cases - since their is a transfer tax i need to take that into account), Not 100% sure about the long term reliability of the SkyActiv tech.

2013 Toyota Premio - 5-5.5 Mill

Pros - Probably will be trouble free over the four years, comfy, economical, will be worth something when it's time to sell, surprisingly OK drive, simple to maintain.

Cons - Not exactly an exciting choice, Model will be replaced soon, Weirdly old tech in some areas (Like rear drum brakes)

2010 Mercedes Benz C Class - 5.5-6 Mill

Pros - Seems to be back to old school form for Merc in terms of quality, decent drive, comfortable, solid.

Cons - Not sure how it will hold up over the next 4 years, Going prices are somewhat higher than budget.

2014 Toyota Prius - Prices vary but there seem to be unreg choices in the 5-5.5 range

Pros - It's a Prius

Cons - It's a Prius

Annd the final choice (the one I would really rather avoid)

2013/2014 Honda Vesi Vezel - Seem to be available between 5 and 5.5

Pros - It's actually an fairly ok little crossover, nice interior, quite economical

Cons - It's a Vezel.

So there you have it, those are what I've looked at, let me know what you think and any other options I may have missed.

Cheers

Edited by Supra_Natural

Forgot two more options that are also in range, these were not at the top of the list because we already have one Kia, a 2011 Sorrento Petrol so something different is preferred.

2011/12 Kia Sorrento Diesel & Sportage Diesel

Pros - Good power, well kitted, decent drive

Cons - Don't know how they will last long term, not a lot of independent mechanics know them well yet, agents are overloaded and not great.

Why I picked the Premio

• It will be used as a daily driver by the household (driven by a driver mostly) which means it will basically be in town traffic a lot and endure lots of stop starts and such.
  • The major priority to be honest is a car that will be pretty reliable with minimal unexpected problems cropping up
  • Will look to keep it for four years or so and it would be nice if it retains some value at the end of that.

• Like 1

It's the Mazda for me.Sure the others might be better cars allround and hold their value.To be honest I've never even sat in one and have no idea how it drives...But it has a certain pazazz to it and you know me machan,I always follow me heart.

If not,The Merc.

• Like 6

2014 Toyota Prius - Prices vary but there seem to be unreg choices in the 5-5.5 range

Pros - It's a Prius

Cons - It's a Prius

Annd the final choice (the one I would really rather avoid)

2013/2014 Honda Vesi Vezel - Seem to be available between 5 and 5.5

Pros - It's actually an fairly ok little crossover, nice interior, quite economical

Cons - It's a Vezel.

So there you have it, those are what I've looked at, let me know what you think and any other options I may have missed.

Cheers

rofl.. nice reasons :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004:

I voted for vitara, since its new, warranty and reliable

may I suggest few others too.

Toyota Harrier

XTrial

Rav4

Definitely the Mazda 6!!

Reasons:

· One of the most well refined and engineered cars in the world.

· Tops all the reviews where it appears on.

· Should be reliable and sporty due to the Mazda pedigree.

· It’s damn HOT!!! If it was a babe, you’ll bang it daily !! :)

• Like 2

Thanks guys, your views are much appreciated. The Mazda 6 is the leader by a country mile in my personal view but I can't seem to find a bloody car! The only ones that are for sale at the moment are both owned by doctors who won't budge an inch on the price!

@ Crosswind - Looked at the ecosport machan, within budget but rather crap. The fact that is aimed at "developing" markets is very obvious, doesn't feel like other Ford products. Would have liked a new Focus but they are 6.5 mill apparently!

The Premio is to be fair the most hassle free choice in budget. With all the attention the two "fun" cars require it would be nice to have hassle free lol.

How about a 2015 Mazda 3, for 5.3m ? :)

Where? would prefer the 6 if I can get it but certainly won't discount the new 3. Is it that price brand new?

There is always a certain Laurel if you are interested.

DO NOT SELL THAT LAUREL, even to me! :P

Hey so called Mr.Natural!!!!...I swear if you buy that Premio I'm never ever speaking to you again.On top of that I'm not sending you them funny cat pictures I found on the internet.Oh yes,one even has a kitty dressed like Bilbo Baggins...So there!Don't tell me I didn't warn you!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, your views are much appreciated. The Mazda 6 is the leader by a country mile in my personal view but I can't seem to find a bloody car! The only ones that are for sale at the moment are both owned by doctors who won't budge an inch on the price!

@ Crosswind - Looked at the ecosport machan, within budget but rather crap. The fact that is aimed at "developing" markets is very obvious, doesn't feel like other Ford products. Would have liked a new Focus but they are 6.5 mill apparently!

The Premio is to be fair the most hassle free choice in budget. With all the attention the two "fun" cars require it would be nice to have hassle free lol.

Check ur PM

Mazda 6.

Because Every morning you wake up and look at that and you smile.. You buy anything else it will just be some car.

Grand Vitara - Dashboard is made out of a melted down dustbin

X1 - Really crampy back seats.

Premio - not a bad car but eeyyaaaa

Prius - Chikeyyaa

Vesi - Its not bad, but its a Vezel.. Nikan ane manda

C CLass - Amazing car. And Probably the best to be driven around too But the Mazda 6 Just feels/looks Better Specially interior space wise

I would Add The Honda Grace to that list though. its a pretty decent car. Specially the EX Grade

Mazda 6.

Because Every morning you wake up and look at that and you smile.. You buy anything else it will just be some car.

Grand Vitara - Dashboard is made out of a melted down dustbin

X1 - Really crampy back seats.

Premio - not a bad car but eeyyaaaa

Prius - Chikeyyaa

Vesi - Its not bad, but its a Vezel.. Nikan ane manda

C CLass - Amazing car. And Probably the best to be driven around too But the Mazda 6 Just feels/looks Better Specially interior space wise

I would Add The Honda Grace to that list though. its a pretty decent car. Specially the EX Grade

The Grace does appear to be rather interesting, must check it out also. I'm wondering whether it will have less space than the Civic FD inside though.