• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

H4 Hid Or Led

sira

Question

Dear Friends

I'm planing to replace my EK3 head light bulbs with HID or LED. can you all let me know what is the best HID kits and Price of them

I checked the Philips got good stuff and looks they are expensive -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-PHILIPS-H4-Hi-Lo-Beam-6000K-HID-CANBUS-Conversion-Kit-/262081036086

Also now LED Head lights are available. how about them ? are they more efficient then HID

Please advice

Sira

HIDs have no filament. There's an arc of electricity flowing between two electrodes, which illuminates the gas inside the bulb, a la standard "tube light" style. You can't change the shape of an arc, so the light dispersion pattern is changed by a solenoid operating a metal cover that blocks a portion of the light. It is because the light is in an arc, rather than a straight filament, that HIDs are incompatible with Halogen reflectors.

Edited by terrabytetango

I have tried those bi-xenon H4 HID, wasnt great! Like terrabytetango mentioned HID doesn't have filament. When you switch on the high beam the bulb just moves upwards pointing the light at the distance which leaves out the road close to the vehicle dark. and of course it doesnt focus the light properly, it sends the light upwards and towards the sides reducing the amount of light focused on the road.

HIDs have no filament. There's an arc of electricity flowing between two electrodes, which illuminates the gas inside the bulb, a la standard "tube light" style. You can't change the shape of an arc, so the light dispersion pattern is changed by a solenoid operating a metal cover that blocks a portion of the light. It is because the light is in an arc, rather than a straight filament, that HIDs are incompatible with Halogen reflectors.

My bad, i meant arcs

I have tried those bi-xenon H4 HID, wasnt great! Like terrabytetango mentioned HID doesn't have filament. When you switch on the high beam the bulb just moves upwards pointing the light at the distance which leaves out the road close to the vehicle dark. and of course it doesnt focus the light properly, it sends the light upwards and towards the sides reducing the amount of light focused on the road.

There are dual arc variants, but most common is the shield moving type you are referring to (FYI bulb doesnt move, the shielding does).

So my father was complaning with the Narva 100/90w bulbs its hard to drive in the rain at night, which is the case these days.

i didnt wanted to switch back to 100/90W bulbs too

So decided to go for a set of 60/55w Koito Whitebeams. Koito's Equalant to the Osram Nightbreakers, and they are really good

jbGPLK2.jpg

* Note the pictures doenst do much justice to the actual color temp..

Also: even though it seems theres a difference in color temp when comparing.. you will not notice any difference once both are installed.

QSbOjDy.jpg

ypG8VDt.jpg

Xo2lGcG.jpg

aanrNZp.jpg

MTlJDue.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks whmsujith

If I need to order from Ebay ?

The type of the bulb is probably written on the connector, else you can identify it by the shape and size of the bulb, but its little bit difficult because some bulb type may appear very similar. Alternately you can let us know your car model, maybe some member could help you out.

Some common bulb types

2l8xbf4.jpg

• Like 2

The type of the bulb is probably written on the connector, else you can identify it by the shape and size of the bulb, but its little bit difficult because some bulb type may appear very similar. Alternately you can let us know your car model, maybe some member could help you out.

Some common bulb types

Its written on top of the headlight most of the time

Sometimes you can see the writing from outside through the headlight housing

• Like 1

Bought if from a shop called Janatha Motors in kandy. it was 2200/= for both bulbs

Got myself a pair of Koito white beams from delkanda for the same price. Extremely happy with the results. Not too much or too little but just the right amount of light to see the road without agitating oncoming traffic. I'd say bang for the buck. Thanks for sharing the details Schiffer. :-)

Got myself a pair of Koito white beams from delkanda for the same price. Extremely happy with the results. Not too much or too little but just the right amount of light to see the road without agitating oncoming traffic. I'd say bang for the buck. Thanks for sharing the details Schiffer. :-)

Nice, Glad i could help buddy :)

Some common bulb types

Its written on top of the headlight most of the time
Sometimes you can see the writing from outside through the headlight housing

Thank you very much for the suggestions

I have Lancer CS3 , very recently brought ( only 10 days), As Asroc mention I notice that bulb connector has bulb type embose.

My one head light is H4 90/100W but left side light does can not have similar name on bulb connector. Some time bulbs may be different.

Even two bulbs have different intensity, Right one which has this H4 90/100 is more brighter than Left side light.

Is H4 90/100 is the correct bulb for Lancer CS3 ?

If I need change this to Osram Night break do i need to match same watt capacity

thanks

Amila

Thank you very much for the suggestions

I have Lancer CS3 , very recently brought ( only 10 days), As Asroc mention I notice that bulb connector has bulb type embose.

My one head light is H4 90/100W but left side light does can not have similar name on bulb connector. Some time bulbs may be different.

Even two bulbs have different intensity, Right one which has this H4 90/100 is more brighter than Left side light.

Is H4 90/100 is the correct bulb for Lancer CS3 ?

If I need change this to Osram Night break do i need to match same watt capacity

thanks

Amila

It's fairly certain that the previous owner has changed the original bulbs from 55/60W to 90/100W bulbs(bulb). I wonder if the previous owner was an idiot to use the 2 bulbs with different wattages. Get and fix a pair of Osram Night Breaker Unlimited H4 55/60W (If Osram rocks your boat). You can order them from eBay. It usually takes 5 to 15 days to arrive from UK based sellers.

I have bought Osrams from these UK sellers

http://www.ebay.com/usr/driven2automotive

http://www.ebay.com/usr/upgradebulbs

A friend of mine bought a set of Nightbreakers having seen my posts about them here, and was concerned with the colour of the light because it wasn't white like HID or LED. So I'll clear up any doubts about Osrams or Phillips, or any other high end halogen bulbs; they will never provide the colour of HID or LED bulbs. They are simply brighter, have more consistent light spread and will generally maintain at least 80% of their brightness during their life time. The Osram Nightbreakers have an "unofficial" colour temperature of 3900K, which is the closest to white they can do.

I've read about drivers getting stopped by our cops who rigged up their own laws when it comes to legal compliance of lighting

to the point where cars with factory fitted HID head lights were taken to court.

so don't ask for trouble, . unless you've got a good lawyer!

When it comes to aftermarket HID kits,reliability is a major issue,.. Sure they look cool , but you want them to work at night when you drive home after a'few too many !

LED's produce comparatively less light - although they have advantages over their HID counter parts.

bottom line,..

Reliability above all,..

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1