• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Both ABS Warning and Hand brake warning indicators on

madushan.a

Question

I'm using a Mazda Familia BJ5P year 2000 model (daily office drive in Colombo). I'm using this car for 3 years and serviced/ maintained properly and serving me as a reliable, rock solid way so far. Next service is due in 200 kms.

Few weeks ago it indicated the hand brake warning (!) on the dashboard. The oil level in the brake oil container was little lowered and after filling it problem solved. No more warning signs.

BUT, today (after few weeks) BOTH hand brake warning (!) and ABS warning (ABS) on the dashboard were  indicating during driving (no blinking, both warning lights on during the entire journey).

(1) What can be the possible causes?

(2) Is this a serious thing to pay attention immediately? If so, what actions should I take immediately?

(3) Should I visit a proper place like Ma**a Motors or is it ok to check this with a nearby "under the mango tree" type of garage?

Please give your recommendations. Thanks in advance.

11 answers to this question

This is a common issue in Mazdas and Fords. Usually happens due to a bad ABS sensor but can also be due to dirt on the ABS sensor or even a complete failure of the ABS system. You should get a scan done first to check the error code. Once the error code is cleared, it might even go away. In any case, take it to Mazna or somewhere. Mango Tree guy will only take u for a ride.

How does dirt get into the wheel ABS sensor? My Vios' had a rear wheel hub replaced, which included the ABS sensor and it was a sealed unit. I had a hell of a time taking the old one apart to take a look at the unit itself, it's very well sealed.

Edited by terrabytetango

ABS sensor replacement is a very small job. but you should go to a place at least equipped with a scanner.

I can recommend Ma*na motors because they are well equipped and they have spare parts in their stock (for some repairs they are expensive but OK for this kind of jobs ).

genuine ABS sensor would cost you around  12k-14k,labor charge +scan around 1k.

Thanks all for your quick replies. When I'm coming back from the office it was ok. None of the warning lights were indicating on the dashboard. Also I tested the brakes few time by applying sudden heavy presses on the brake paddle. Seems it was ok. 

This is quite wired. May be some dust or dirt on ABS sensor. (Btw, there were some several road construction works on my way to office)

Anyway I will keep eyes on this and update in case any changes. 

Thank you again for useful quick replies. 

2 hours ago, madushan.a said:

Thanks all for your quick replies. When I'm coming back from the office it was ok. None of the warning lights were indicating on the dashboard. Also I tested the brakes few time by applying sudden heavy presses on the brake paddle. Seems it was ok. 

This is quite wired. May be some dust or dirt on ABS sensor. (Btw, there were some several road construction works on my way to office)

Anyway I will keep eyes on this and update in case any changes. 

Thank you again for useful quick replies. 

This is the way it starts,even after few Km drive, if you switched off and switch on, then ABS indicator goes off as normally.but next day it might return.

once i experienced this same problem, the same way you experienced.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/16145-mazda-323familia-abs-diagnose/

13 hours ago, terrabytetango said:

How does dirt get into the wheel ABS sensor? My Vios' had a rear wheel hub replaced, which included the ABS sensor and it was a sealed unit. I had a hell of a time taking the old one apart to take a look at the unit itself, it's very well sealed.

It's not that the sensor itself isn't sealed, it's that the sensor is not inside a sealed chamber in some vehicles. In such cases, dust and dirt to get in between the toothed wheel and the also cover the tip of the sensor. 

Other than the sensors and rest of electronics there is another possible cause that can result in ABS indication. It is the diameter of the wheel. If you use wheels of different diameter for front and rear for example their rotational speeds differ for the same vehicle speed. Depending on the tolerances coded in the ECU and hence on the sensitivity to such differences, you may get an alarm. Happened to notice a similar situation in a Honda CB600 bike with ABS (here the front and rear diameter are different anyway but that is already taken into account by the ECU). Of course the sensitivity margin for wheel speed in a bike could be much narrower than that in a car.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, jayanathkarunarathna said:

I have no idea about the issue but it is serious and must sorted immediately because it is related to brakes. There are experienced, professionally qualified mechanics among  "under the mango tree" mechanics. So no point of wasting extra money for the *NAME*

Normally I'd ring the 'under mango tree mechanic' bell right along with you but when it comes to ABS issues I'd head to the dealer/agent. No point messing around and trying to save money when it concerns the ABS. As many members have suggested : Take it to a well known place, preferably the agents for this repair.

Also a quick google on abs and handbrake light stays on seems to confirm that the issue would indeed occur when there is a faulty ABS sensor / speed sensor. Proper diagnosis will require an ABS diagnostic tool, so again my recommendation as made multiple times above by some of the other members; is to head to a well known place that will have this equipment or to the agents for this repair.

Edited by Kavvz

Seems like a common problem in bjs, I had this too but didn't need to replace the sensor. The speed sensing ring on the hub had gotten loose in my case. You might want to check this before replacing a new sensor, maybe cleaning the rings will help.