• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

8 hours ago, GWX777 said:

RON 95 = 91 Octane

6 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

RON (Research Octane Number) 95 = MON (Motor Octane Number) 87

Pump Octane Number = (RON+MON/2) = 91

Does that mean it's safe to pump 92 Octane?

4 hours ago, C_J said:

Does that mean it's safe to pump 92 Octane?

Don’t even think about that on the 1L. Trust me.. I’ve had my EX Tech Pack since 2018 and I pumped 92 at our sheds just twice or thrice during the fuel crisis. The engine knocked so badly and my fuel economy was horrible. Never again. There’s a lot of info on this thread over the years btw.

• Like 1

Hey folks! How’s everyone doing? Ok so an update after 5 years of ownership.

1) Still going fine with 0w20 Motul and following the maintenance minder - 38k km on the clock

2) Continental tyres feel nice and comfy - good thing I got them before the prices shot up!

3) On my 2nd Amaron EFB battery - about 1 year in so far. Idle stop works fine at a max of 45sec. More than 1min with the ac off

4) I scratched my side mirror :( thanks to this security guard at Tea Avenue guiding me right into a tree. He had the audacity to later lecture me about folding mirrors when reversing - 8k on that paint job upcoming as it has an ugly patch. The panel came off, but managed to fit it back

5) My steering wheel has developed pretty bad scuff marks with the faux leather peeling off. I think it got worse over time thanks to hand sanitizers! Need to get a cover done

6) My ceramic coating from Meguiar’s (M688) seems to have finally given way. Will be going with an Artdeshine one after some paint touch ups

7) The repaired AC compressor is still holding strong! The AC chap was amazed and pretty proud of himself as it’s the first one he did that lasted this long. May need a recharge of R1234yf later

Also no more rats!! Apart from car wiring, I also sprayed my whole garage and surroundings with the Marderspray from Liquimoly. Works a charm. Need to get more.

Still love the car 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, misnad said:

Still love the car 😀

Nice to hear that after 5 years 😀 So, no idea to depart from it in the near future? (just ping me if you do 😁)

Is there any difficulty in finding spare parts for this model due to the import ban? 

On 8/3/2023 at 4:00 PM, matroska said:

This is the best I got almost 24 KMPL this was on the southern expressway. 

Is this by driving alone?

9 hours ago, misnad said:

Hey folks! How’s everyone doing? Ok so an update after 5 years of ownership.

1) Still going fine with 0w20 Motul and following the maintenance minder - 38k km on the clock

2) Continental tyres feel nice and comfy - good thing I got them before the prices shot up!

3) On my 2nd Amaron EFB battery - about 1 year in so far. Idle stop works fine at a max of 45sec. More than 1min with the ac off

4) I scratched my side mirror :( thanks to this security guard at Tea Avenue guiding me right into a tree. He had the audacity to later lecture me about folding mirrors when reversing - 8k on that paint job upcoming as it has an ugly patch. The panel came off, but managed to fit it back

5) My steering wheel has developed pretty bad scuff marks with the faux leather peeling off. I think it got worse over time thanks to hand sanitizers! Need to get a cover done

6) My ceramic coating from Meguiar’s (M688) seems to have finally given way. Will be going with an Artdeshine one after some paint touch ups

7) The repaired AC compressor is still holding strong! The AC chap was amazed and pretty proud of himself as it’s the first one he did that lasted this long. May need a recharge of R1234yf later

Also no more rats!! Apart from car wiring, I also sprayed my whole garage and surroundings with the Marderspray from Liquimoly. Works a charm. Need to get more.

Still love the car 😀

Hi Missad

On the maintenance minder would you know if the notification for drive belt change would pop up when its time to do so? I too have had mine for the same period of yours and wondering if that's going to be the next big repair. 

3 hours ago, C_J said:

Nice to hear that after 5 years 😀 So, no idea to depart from it in the near future? (just ping me if you do 😁)

Is there any difficulty in finding spare parts for this model due to the import ban? 

So far I havn't experienced any difficulty- on regular wear and tear items.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWD said:

Hi Missad

On the maintenance minder would you know if the notification for drive belt change would pop up when its time to do so? I too have had mine for the same period of yours and wondering if that's going to be the next big repair. 

Hey RWD - yup, it is covered as code 4. I’m dreading the next big service for me with the CVT fluid change 😣 https://www.performancehondastore.com/honda-maintenance-minder-codes/

4 hours ago, C_J said:

Not in the near future 😀. Had an issue with the import ban when my AC tech asked me to change the compressor… so he repaired it.. glad he did cos that saved me over 150k at the time 😀. No other issues so far, touch wood!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tinyman said:

Guys sad news, my left side mirror lens got stolen last night near Wellawathe Foodcity. 

Don't know how much it's going to cost, Any ideas?.

Insurance needs a police entry it seems.  

WhatsAppImage2023-08-09at9_13_19AM.thumb.jpeg.bfe36f51159e06e9f20ccabf56997ab1.jpeg

sorry to hear about it- same thing happened to me a few months ago and its quite common these days. 

if yours come with blind spot monitoring- each lens costs around 60K and can be found at Teck Motors.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 9:57 PM, C_J said:

I guess I have to update the range in this case, this is the best I came across so far.

Outstation: 15-24kmpl

Well 23.8 was the best I got but 20+ is anywa possible on expressways 

On 8/7/2023 at 11:00 AM, tinyman said:

Isn't a non-hybrid mid-sized car achieving 24kmpl something unbelievable? 

I was surprised myself - of course this was under favorable conditions on the expressway in the morning with cruise control on. In a facebook group dedicated to the model several other people posted photo's of their fuel economy figures so I'd guess under ideal conditions the car does get 20+ gas mileage. 

(The picture was from my car after doing 72km's on the expressway and the car returning 23.8 - the reply was from another owner who claimed 25.8 ) 

image.png.d9c5f185094e1da862b56445f969e9be.png

8 hours ago, C_J said:

Is this by driving alone?

nope. had the wife onboard. 

Anyways bear in mind these are under ideal conditions - so the figures may vary : Fuel figures are very very subjective and do not always expect the same figures someone gets.

As long as the fuel economy is acceptable for your usage pattern I'd say you're good to go. 

Smiles per Gallon > Miles per Gallon 😉 

Edited by matroska

3 hours ago, matroska said:

Anyways bear in mind these are under ideal conditions 

Can you please elaborate on those ideal conditions? 
What exactly one should do to keep the car in ideal condition?

On 8/8/2023 at 12:33 PM, GWX777 said:

RON 95 = 91 Octane

On 8/8/2023 at 2:47 PM, Hyaenidae said:

RON (Research Octane Number) 95 = MON (Motor Octane Number) 87

Pump Octane Number = (RON+MON/2) = 91

10 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Honda recommends 95 RON for the civic 1L, not 92 RON

This is confusing 🙃

Is RON 95 = 91 Octane OR NOT?

13 hours ago, C_J said:

Can you please elaborate on those ideal conditions? 
What exactly one should do to keep the car in ideal condition?

What I meant by 'ideal conditions' are not the condition of the car ideal driving conditions that maximize fuel efficiency (the car manufacturers when they publish fuel efficiency for their models do it under similar conditions)  - mostly the external factors. For example - expressway, zero traffic  (not even lane hoggers) so you can cruise at a constant speed for most of your journey. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, C_J said:

This is confusing 🙃

Is RON 95 = 91 Octane OR NOT?

Despite both having "octane" in their names, Research Octane Number and Pump Octane Number are two different measurement standards - kinda like centimetres and inches. You've bought a girl who likes 9 inches, 9 centimetres is not enough to tickle her pickle.

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

Despite both having "octane" in their names, Research Octane Number and Pump Octane Number are two different measurement standards - kinda like centimetres and inches. You've bought a girl who likes 9 inches, 9 centimetres is not enough to tickle her pickle.

Still eying her 😁 

Only trying to understand the terminology, will pump her with 9 inches anyway, always do 🤪

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 1:23 PM, C_J said:

Hi,

Is the ground clearance of 2018 Hatchback is 5.3 inches / 134 mm?

How is all of your experience with this low ground clearance in Sri Lankan roads?

Thanks

Never bottomed out yet- but be cautious when entering and exiting sloped surfaces with a full load. Though due to the potholed state of our roads these days its not the most enjoyable experience driving even in Colombo.  

On 9/6/2023 at 12:56 PM, RWD said:

Though due to the potholed state of our roads these days its not the most enjoyable experience driving even in Colombo.  

Exactly, this is my concern as well.

I learned that this car is more suitable for someone who enjoys driving long distances. This might not be the best option as a family car for everyday use within the city. Low ground clearance is really a pain in the a$$ in SL. Firm suspensions might not be the best option for SL roads. Low-level seats are not very suitable for elderly parents.  

I was mainly attracted to Civic TechPack as I was looking for a car with a sunroof on my 12 yr old son's request. I really like the car's look but now I'm leaning away from it for the above reasons. 

As I drive around Panadura city most of the time and have to sit and wait in the car for long periods, I'm leaning towards a car with more comfortable seats (sofa like 😁). 

I previously used a Prius with 185-sized tyres on 15 or 16 inch alloys and had a hard time with the ground clearance, At the very first tyre change, I shifted to 195 tyres which mostly solved the problem in my day-to-day use. If I recall correctly, the Civic has a 215-sized tyre and a larger alloy compared to the Prius. So far I have not faced the challenges I had with Prius with my Civic. last week I managed to take it through a kind of a bend which usually requires a couple of forward and reverse menueres to pass with my Ex-Prius 😊

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:17 PM, tinyman said:

Civic has a 215-sized tyre and a larger alloy compared to the Prius.

On 9/8/2023 at 11:23 AM, C_J said:

Low ground clearance is really a pain in the a$$ in SL.

You know when I bought the Civic in 2018 i anticipated the ground clearance to be a lot more bothersome. But TBH it hasn't been a huge headache for me. The wide tyres, and the firmer suspension setup on the civic (observe a civic with full load - it does not 'sink' as much as you'd expect) contributes to this. Apart from very steep inclines (for instance the car park near SLECC that is like a pit) 'Pot-holes' in suburbs don't really cause an issue. Of course the tyres being wide means that it can avoid 'falling' into ruts in particular. Once when both my Starlet Ep71 and the Civic travelled together I noticed that the starlet particularly kept falling into ruts on a bad road which the civic just floated on . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matroska said:

Once when both my Starlet Ep71 and the Civic travelled together I noticed that the starlet particularly kept falling into ruts on a bad road which the civic just floated on . 

This also has a lot to do with wheel/tire size. a 13" wheel (even after factoring standard tire sizes) are more prone to sink in more in to a pothole than a vehicle with a larger wheel size (where the drop in to the pothole will be less).