• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

4 hours ago, randika171 said:

Thank you! Oil cap says ACEA C2 which matches with the Mobil 1 ESP so should be good. Did full service, changed all fluids, wheel alignment, interior clean and 12v battery test at the Hub. The battery apparently has 98% health but auto start stop is not working. Not needed anyway. 

I do hear a small hissing noise and a small fan noise at some times when the a/c is working but noticed the hissing noise goes away with some time. The fan noise is constant (very light but there). I keep the temp at 25 degrees and it seems sufficient. Wondering if I should get it checked.

Btw, I took it to company for a checkup and asked about the oil. They still recommend semi synthetic for some reason and keep telling me how so many civics come to get service done here and they put that oil to everything. I'm gonna stay away from them lol

If it’s a hiss that goes off quickly, that’s fine for now. May need a charge later though. But also if your spec says r1234yf, it’s best to find out from the previous owner whether it was converted to r134a. Do not mix refrigerant.

On oils: The agent can frankly shove their semi synthetic oils up their exhaust pipes! 😀 Follow the book and maintenance minder always.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, it looks like the Civic Forum is one of the most active among the Hondas in Autolanka. trying to gather some help on a repair of a vezel. the latest post on anything to do with Vezel is from mid-2023.

The 2018 RS vezel returned from Std Motors after regular service yesterday with a list of repairs recommended, including rear hub racer,  front brake pads, calipers, brake pistons, air filter, cabin filter etc estimated to be over 200k. (Brake pads alone are 62k) 

Please let me know if any other places are known to handle Vezel repairs well in and around Colombo.

On 7/19/2024 at 2:05 PM, randika171 said:

I do hear a small hissing noise and a small fan noise at some times when the a/c is working but noticed the hissing noise goes away with some time. The fan noise is constant (very light but there). I keep the temp at 25 degrees and it seems sufficient. Wondering if I should get it checked.

are you aware if the gas was changed at some point? The car comes with r1234 by default - but it has lower volumetric cooling capacity and causes premature condensor wear. Most have been converted to r134a : but the r1234 needs to be completely removed. Mixing is not the best idea. 

8 hours ago, tinyman said:

Please let me know if any other places are known to handle Vezel repairs well in and around Colombo.

There is a place in Yakkala managed by an ex-stafrd employee. @Dee Jay has a vezel RS and might be able to provide more insights. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tinyman said:

The 2018 RS vezel returned from Std Motors after regular service yesterday with a list of repairs recommended, including rear hub racer,  front brake pads, calipers, brake pistons, air filter, cabin filter etc estimated to be over 200k. (Brake pads alone are 62k

You will be able to change the brake pads at a lower cost if you go with a good quality Japanese brake pads. I also had to do the brake job not all 4 but it cost me 90k at Stafford.

Like @matroska mentioned you'll be able to get the job done at a lower cost from the guys in Yakkala and they are well experienced with the Vezel.. Apart from that there's another place around Arawwala area too run by a Stafford guy..

• Like 1

Guys as my  civic has approached the 6 year mark and not planning on selling it soon I am thinking of changing the timing belt as per the user manual. I've never serviced at Stafford ,and the garage which has maintained my car has taken good care of it so far. 

Anyway they quoted 88k for timing belt and balance shaft belt and additional costs for labour. 

Anyone got this done yet ?

10 hours ago, RWD said:

Guys as my  civic has approached the 6 year mark and not planning on selling it soon I am thinking of changing the timing belt as per the user manual. I've never serviced at Stafford ,and the garage which has maintained my car has taken good care of it so far. 

Anyway they quoted 88k for timing belt and balance shaft belt and additional costs for labour. 

Anyone got this done yet ?

Did you recently ask the same question on a facebook group as well? I remember seeing this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks, I was driving around at night and got an oil level warning; found that it was right at the lower marker on the dipstick. Also saw some oil spots in the garage.. I hardly see the floor there as the car is always parked on it. What’s worse is that I saw traces of a rat defiling my engine bay once I popped the hood. It had left a lot of droppings and some ball-shaped (pretty big ones!) stuff… guessing it was the rat’s protein balls to keep itself buff.

So I eventually decided to get the oil leak fixed at the agent and let them deal with the cleanup job. Didn’t want anyone else playing with the engine and gearbox. They’ve also flushed out all the oil and cleaned out the turbo lines. New seals and tappet cover were fixed too. Wheel alignment was included as well. All inclusive charge was 155k including 0w20 oil. Not too bad.

The car drives nicely especially after the realignment. Hope that’s the end of the oil worries now. As for Mr. Ratty, I need to get some repellent spray. Used to get it off Gr***e M****y before, but they’re now an online scam portal so that’s out. Know a place that stocks this stuff? 

4 hours ago, misnad said:

Ok folks, I was driving around at night and got an oil level warning; found that it was right at the lower marker on the dipstick. Also saw some oil spots in the garage.. I hardly see the floor there as the car is always parked on it. What’s worse is that I saw traces of a rat defiling my engine bay once I popped the hood. It had left a lot of droppings and some ball-shaped (pretty big ones!) stuff… guessing it was the rat’s protein balls to keep itself buff.

So I eventually decided to get the oil leak fixed at the agent and let them deal with the cleanup job. Didn’t want anyone else playing with the engine and gearbox. They’ve also flushed out all the oil and cleaned out the turbo lines. New seals and tappet cover were fixed too. Wheel alignment was included as well. All inclusive charge was 155k including 0w20 oil. Not too bad.

The car drives nicely especially after the realignment. Hope that’s the end of the oil worries now. As for Mr. Ratty, I need to get some repellent spray. Used to get it off Gr***e M****y before, but they’re now an online scam portal so that’s out. Know a place that stocks this stuff? 

ohh.. the Rats.. i think you better take drastic measures to get rid of 'em rather than Spray them off.. tried, failed!.. so end up placing poison for once and for all.. (I know it's bad but can't help).. to get the Marder spray there are bunch of places which I'm using and these folks do deliver (Courier) as well.. will inbox the places..

Edited by Ruslan

6 hours ago, misnad said:

I am on the look out too for some too ! Couldn't find it in most of the usual shops. Even the decent online portals tht used to have it now don't. Had some of the old Pesto spray used that as a temporary measure.

2 hours ago, Ruslan said:

ohh.. the Rats.. i think you better take drastic measures to get rid of 'em rather than Spray them off.. tried, failed!.. so end up placing poison for once and for all.. (I know it's bad but can't help).. to get the Marder spray there are bunch of places which I'm using and these folks do deliver (Courier) as well.. will inbox the places..

Yes...the repellants are merely a deterrent. I have those sticky pads put all around the parking area. Using poson can be a bit tricky. In the past what happened to me (well my dad) was the cleaner dude at home put rat poison. The rat ate the poson and then went and died in the car. Two of them ! One was under the passenger seat. The other...in the engine may under the manifold cover. Did not see it until the cover was removed to fix some engine issue. By that time the rat was a big black stain embedded in the metal.

8 hours ago, misnad said:

As for Mr. Ratty, I need to get some repellent spray.

My neighbors have not one but six cats, and one of them sleeps under the Civic. I've come to peace with the occasional muddy paw-print  considering the rat-repellent effect it has. 

8 hours ago, misnad said:

They’ve also flushed out all the oil and cleaned out the turbo lines. New seals and tappet cover were fixed too. Wheel alignment was included as well. All inclusive charge was 155k including 0w20 oil. Not too bad.

Considering the Agent's costs this is not bad at all. 

46 minutes ago, matroska said:

My neighbors have not one but six cats, and one of them sleeps under the Civic. I've come to peace with the occasional muddy paw-print  considering the rat-repellent effect it has. 

My neighbor’s cat happens to sleep on the roof of my car. Paw prints everywhere and an occasional pee stain, however it looks like it has made friends with the rat; they’re bunk buddies! Either that or the rat chased the cat away!

• Haha 4

On 8/30/2024 at 12:58 PM, misnad said:

My neighbor’s cat happens to sleep on the roof of my car. Paw prints everywhere and an occasional pee stain, however it looks like it has made friends with the rat; they’re bunk buddies! Either that or the rat chased the cat away!

For the rat problem - The safe way is to use those rat cages, you can buy around 2 or 3 and keep a piece of coconut so they get trapped and can release somewhere else. However, the best is to use rat poison because they breed so fast. We too had a rat problem and poison was the only way to get rid of the whole lot.

For the cat sleeping on the car - Car cover works, but huge hassle to put it on and off. Moth balls crushed and mixed with water and sprayed around helps but again temporary solutions. What eventually worked for me was I made the cat a small bed. I learnt from a cat expert that you need to distract the cat and give it something else to do because scolding doesn't work all the time. Cats love heat and that's why they keep going on the car. So if you can make a small bed with soft wool carpets it will stay there all the time. Mine is on the new bed 90% of the time and never goes on the car now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, randika171 said:

the best is to use rat poison because they breed so fast

Do not poison the rat ! They eat the poison, run inside the car and die. Naturally it would decide to die in some hidden place like behind the dashboard or some little space in the engine compartment.

The safe way is to use those rat cages

Yes cages work. So do the sticky pads that make the rat stuck on to the board. Vegetable oil can be used to remove the rat and set it loose.

Car cover works, but huge hassle to put it on and off

I use car covers in Japan. I got the plushy kind to prevent cat scratches. The fluffy nature of it made the cat actually use it for scratching. So it can go either way. Alternatively, I followed what my neighbors started doing...placing large water bottles around the car (more or less places the car will use to climb on to the car). Apparently the magnified visibility through the bottle confusses them. A second approach is to stick strong-smelling things like crushed incense (and even some types of flowers) around the car (or on the car cover). Cats do not like it.  

Also, if using a car cover you need to be diligent about when to put it off and put in on. Also you would need to get a good quality car cover (i.e. not the cheap shiny chinese ones that build moisture and bake the car).