• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cruise Control for Toyota Axio Hybrid 2017 model?

Malaka Silva

yes..there are few places in Darley Road where you can get this job done...do you have anymore opening in the car because the darlry road place might interested to install few propellers too...so you can fly...

and with the cruise control installation your kmpl figures also going to improve..let us know about the figures once done..

bdw ..how did you get to know about this thing...only handful of people know this..but all are driving Axio Hybrid

• Like 1

None of the Axio variants came with Cruise Control. Even the normal Corolla for MOST markets did not come with it. Heck even the Allion/Premio does not come with it so a car that is in a lower segment would not come with it. The opening you see could be because the steering wheels are shared between other Toyota models which may have cruise control. It is either that or the opening you are talking about is a service access slot.

Installing a cruise control system is not a matter of plugging in a switch or steering wheel. It involved more electronic components that work with the ECU to control the throttle, brake, etc....Since the car model did not come with a cruise control..that means you will have to find an after market system that works with the Axio components. In Sri Lanka even if you find one what you wold find are cheap Chinese ones that are difficult to trust (don't forget..the cruise control system can compromise the safety of the car).

EDIT: I stand corrected 2017/Oct updates to the Axio includes Cruise Control as standard to the Hybrid WxB and Hybrid G variants.

Further clarification Cruise Control was offered on the Allion/Premio as standard on the 2L variants and not on the others. That still seems to be the case. However, with the introduction of Safety Sense on Toyota cars, the ECU seems to be prep'd up for Cruise Control and it seems ot be a matter of activating it. Thus, there possibly could be many retro-fitted/activated cars with Cruise Control.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, iRage said:

None of the Axio variants came with Cruise Control. Even the normal Corolla for MOST markets did not come with it. Heck even the Allion/Premio does not come with it so a car that is in a lower segment would not come with it. The opening you see could be because the steering wheels are shared between other Toyota models which may have cruise control. It is either that or the opening you are talking about is a service access slot.

Installing a cruise control system is not a matter of plugging in a switch or steering wheel. It involved more electronic components that work with the ECU to control the throttle, brake, etc....Since the car model did not come with a cruise control..that means you will have to find an after market system that works with the Axio components. In Sri Lanka even if you find one what you wold find are cheap Chinese ones that are difficult to trust (don't forget..the cruise control system can compromise the safety of the car).

2018 onwards axio hybrid G and WXB has cruise control.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malaka Silva said:

Thx for your responses. According to forums Toyota can do this but charges a high price. Most of these recommends a third-party.

Found some details with this video.

AFAIK cruise control is standard for G and WXB grades. I fixed the cruise control for my father's 2015 model Aqua. I got it done from P*t*o L*nk* Polhengoda. But it's not just a fixed cruise control switch. It needs to change Clock Spring (spiral cable) also. What they said was YOM 2015 onward cruise control can be fitted to any grade but before 2015 YOM only if it had an LCD meter panel. Best thing is to speak to them and see I think.
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Prangi said:

AFAIK cruise control is standard for G and WXB grades. I fixed the cruise control for my father's 2015 model Aqua. I got it done from P*t*o L*nk* Polhengoda. But it's not just a fixed cruise control switch. It needs to change Clock Spring (spiral cable) also. What they said was YOM 2015 onward cruise control can be fitted to any grade but before 2015 YOM only if it had an LCD meter panel. Best thing is to speak to them and see I think.

Yes seems they are doing for a reasonable price. Thx for sharing.

23 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

2018 onwards axio hybrid G and WXB has cruise control.

23 hours ago, Prangi said:

I stand corrected....late 2017 (so most 2018) onwards Cruise control was offered for the Hybrid G and WXB models. As for the Premio and Allion, Cruise Control was offered for the 2L variant but not the others (and I beleive it is still the same according to the website equipment spec sheet).

As for being able to put Cruise Control on 2015 onwards...that seems to be in line with the introduction (and roll-out) of Toyota safety sense in Toyota vehicles. SO I suppose the ECUs already have the required programming and it is a matter of activating it. I hope that is all that is as trying to do anything more might mess up the other safety systems and then those might not necessarily work with the cruise control. If not...you really cannot put cruise control unless you get a CC control unit which piggy backs on top of the ECU.

As for getting a 3rd party CC system...I would never do that in SL. We cannot even get a non-junk stereo or security system for a car in SL (what we get 99% of the time are cheap Chinese knock-offs), I would not recommend you buy a 3rd party system from these people.

But may I ask why you need cruise control ? Been driving for 26 years (licensed) and never got the fascination with CC. Back in the states all my cars had cruise control and it literally was putting me to sleep behind the wheel. Last weekend I had the kill-joyous pleasure of driving a VOXY with cruise control. Had the thing on and it felt completely detached. I do beleive if cruise control is to be relatively safe it needs the other support features...without it the driver would be way too out of it to react to anything in a timely manner.

Did a bit of an experiment (totally non-scientific....just to keep my brain awake). On the way over there 234km had the cruise control on for 197km of it (rest was on urban/city roads)...the thing did 13.58kmpl. On the way back did the same distance on the same road but in opposite direction under same conditions. Got 12.3 kmpl. The cruise control system's average speed was 101kmph and mine was 96kmph. According to my wife...who is completely and utterly critical of my driving said the way back was more smoother and comfier (and less scary with the crosswinds against the big semi-trucks) and was convinced it was the cruise control and the van that kept everything nice and smooth. (I did not tell her which leg I was driving).  Oh...and at the end of the day...damaged the rental van....the bloody auto door (which daughter opened) started opening and hit a concrete step on the side...it did not try to stop and recoil the door back..it just kept on trying to open the door until it got scraped and stuck. So yeah..technology for ya !

25 minutes ago, iRage said:

As for being able to put Cruise Control on 2015 onwards...that seems to be in line with the introduction (and roll-out) of Toyota safety sense in Toyota vehicles. SO I suppose the ECUs already have the required programming and it is a matter of activating it. I hope that is all that is as trying to do anything more might mess up the other safety systems and then those might not necessarily work with the cruise control. If not...you really cannot put cruise control unless you get a CC control unit which piggy backs on top of the ECU.

Yes, in fact the 2015 Axio Hybrid G models that came with the safety sense option (not the latest one; there's safety sense C and P I guess) from factory had cruise control option. A friend from office had a 2015 G car brought down via a factory order and it came with cruise control (not the adaptive cruise control with low speed follow, lane keep assist etc. but, just cruise control)..

The latest adaptive cruise control systems with proper lane keep assist systems and low speed following options would take away the fatigue out of long distance highway driving I guess while improving the fuel efficiency. However, the drivers should be vigilant always as we can not put our lives at the hands of the car 100% :D (at least under prevailing technology levels ;) )

25 minutes ago, iRage said:

Oh...and at the end of the day...damaged the rental van....the bloody auto door (which daughter opened) started opening and hit a concrete step on the side...it did not try to stop and recoil the door back..it just kept on trying to open the door until it got scraped and stuck. So yeah..technology for ya !

Ooops! bad luck I guess :( that incident though is a good indication that we should not solely rely on technology to take of things completely! 

Edited by Dee Jay
added the limitations of cruise control available in 2015ish models

7 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

Yes, in fact the 2015 Axio Hybrid G models that came with the safety sense option (not the latest one; there's safety sense C and P I guess) from factory had cruise control option. A friend from office had a 2015 G car brought down via a factory order and it came with cruise control (not the adaptive cruise control with low speed follow, lane keep assist etc. but, just cruise control)..

Uhh...that is strange....I just checked the catalog..when Toyota Safety Sense C was put on the Axio; there is no option for Cruise Control in any of the grade. So I don't know how your friend's Axio got it. It might have been something the dealer offered since the feature was there but disabled. On the other hand the Aqua which also came with SSC in 2015 was offered with cruise control from the factory for the G grade range.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Uhh...that is strange....I just checked the catalog..when Toyota Safety Sense C was put on the Axio; there is no option for Cruise Control in any of the grade. So I don't know how your friend's Axio got it. It might have been something the dealer offered since the feature was there but disabled. On the other hand the Aqua which also came with SSC in 2015 was offered with cruise control from the factory for the G grade range.

That might be possible, no idea how the importer got it down..

On 6/27/2020 at 9:22 AM, Malaka Silva said:

Hi,

Axio hybrid steering wheel there is a slot with small plastic opening. I guess that is to install a cruise control lever. Seems it's possible to install.

Anyone knows a good place to do this?

It's possible, I think

Only issue is it might not indicate at the dashboard ... when the cruise control is on

You can fix an external indicator at the dashboard .. or replace your meter panel with a one taken out from a G grade car

auto accessory sellers around the polhengoda junction might be able to help you... 

But if I were you ... will never do that.. 

Edited by priyanka

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Axio G comes with cruise control, factory fitted, I have seen many

4 hours ago, priyanka said:

Axio G comes with cruise control, factory fitted, I have seen many

The point was according to the catalog it was not offered till 2018. Even when safety sense c was offered on the Axio in 2015 they have not seem to have put cruise control on the Axio, even though they put it on the Aqua. Cruise Control does not seem to have been a standard manufacturer/dealer option (kind of like how Navigation/AUdio systems are). So if Cruise Control was there on models before 2018 then it probably was a dealership option  or something that was fitted locally but not a factory install.

In case you missed the differentiation between the different types of installs :

Factory Install : Installed at the production plant

Dealership Install : Installed by the Toyota dealer in Japan prior to delivering the car

Local Installed : Installed in Sri Lanka

Edited by iRage

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 9:22 AM, Malaka Silva said:

Hi,

Axio hybrid steering wheel there is a slot with small plastic opening. I guess that is to install a cruise control lever. Seems it's possible to install.

Anyone knows a good place to do this?

This should be a straight forward fix as I did the same for my 2012 Aqua hybrid (Axio hybrid and Aqua hybrid shares the same drivetrain and most electronics). Conversion took about 2 hours altogether and it's handy when cruising on expressway at 100. I don't think I'm allowed to post the details of the place as it might be advertising. It's a place near Kadawatha interchange and if you search in Toyota Aqua Owners page in FB, you'll get enough posts about this place and many others.