• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

BMW X2 - Recommendations

rover

Hi everyone,

I am plannning to upgrade my current ride. I have short listed following three makes out of which the X2 is my first preference. I appreciate if any BMW X2 users can comment on their first hand experience on the vehicle. Any maintenance issues, ride quality etc.

BMW X2 M sport  2017/2018 - Prefered 

BMW 225XE PHEV - This is my 2nd preferance .Although the price is only marginally high compared to the X2 I'm not concerned about the fuel economy since the vehicle will not be used as the primary ride.

Mercedes Benz GLA 180/200 (Only couple of registered vehicles are advertised at the moment)

3 hours ago, rover said:

BMW 225XE PHEV - This is my 2nd preferance .Although the price is only marginally high compared to the X2 I'm not concerned about the fuel economy since the vehicle will not be used as the primary ride.

Mercedes Benz GLA 180/200 (Only couple of registered vehicles are advertised at the moment)

The old GLA is tiny. Its only a hatch at best. Cramped inside. Cheap plastics. Yucky car. Hated the ride and engine groan. I had the 2.0 engine.

plus the engines are made by Renault. Definitely not a quality merc product, just an entry level car for badge snobs. 

new one seems to be better, but I would still go for something else. 

BMW 225XE PHEV.  That car looks like a Tata Indica/indigo. Uglyy.

I would go for the X2 from your list. But the 2020  Facelift  X1 is better(even better than the x2).

Edited by fiat fan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would also suggest X3 or GLC 200 considering it is not a daily driver.

You will get proper 2.0 L turbo with adequate power rather than a 3 port in X2

Both models do not cut corners in quality too

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fiat fan said:

The old GLA is tiny. Its only a hatch at best. Cramped inside. Cheap plastics. Yucky car. Hated the ride and engine groan. I had the 2.0 engine.

plus the engines are made by Renault. Definitely not a quality merc product, just an entry level car for badge snobs. 

new one seems to be better, but I would still go for something else. 

BMW 225XE PHEV.  That car looks like a Tata Indica/indigo. Uglyy.

I would go for the X2 from your list. But the 2020  Facelift  X1 is better(even better than the x2).

Exactly my thoughts. But I personnaly prefer the X2 for it's stylish design and it looks much sportier. The X1 looks too long for a car and I hate the appearance. Anyways that's my personnal opinion.

So the GLA is definitely a no go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kush said:

I would also suggest X3 or GLC 200 considering it is not a daily driver.

You will get proper 2.0 L turbo with adequate power rather than a 3 port in X2

Both models do not cut corners in quality too

All the X3s advertised are more than five years old. I'm looking for something newish. Say 2017-2018 models.

Also have to mention that I have owned only japs upto now except for a Fiat which I owned for a brief period which I hated. Hence the reason for looking at relatively newer Euros.

Also there are hardly any GLC200 on sale and it's price is a bit more than my budget.

• 4 weeks later...

So after searching for some time I have finally bought the X2. The vehicle is a 2018 Msport Japan import which I bought unregistered. Since the vehicle has been in the yard/ sale for nealy a year the service reminder for oil change and inspection has popped up on the display. I have not yet decided where I would take my new ride for the services so this is where I would like to get the opinion of BMW experts in the forum for advise. 

Personally I prefer Milroy since he has a good repo in this forum. Also Since the car is almost brand new should I register it with Prestige for the services and is it worth it?

Another option is Bavarian Motors. Anyone have experience with them?

Also I need advise about upgrading the Navigation with SL maps. I saw couple of places for BMW coding advertised on FB. Any one have experiance with them? 

On 7/26/2020 at 1:00 PM, rover said:

Also have to mention that I have owned only japs upto now except for a Fiat which I owned for a brief period which I hated. Hence the reason for looking at relatively newer Euros.

@Crosswind  for your attention.  ?? Just kidding

Congratulations. ShiMotor is the best place to get any coding/electronic gizmos done. Go search shimotor sri lanka on Instagram. Very recommendable.

Bavarian is picking up popularity recently. Also VVTIs place will be good. Proper enthusiasts, so I'm sure they do good work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rover said:

So after searching for some time I have finally bought the X2. The vehicle is a 2018 Msport Japan import which I bought unregistered. Since the vehicle has been in the yard/ sale for nealy a year the service reminder for oil change and inspection has popped up on the display. I have not yet decided where I would take my new ride for the services so this is where I would like to get the opinion of BMW experts in the forum for advise. 

Personally I prefer Milroy since he has a good repo in this forum. Also Since the car is almost brand new should I register it with Prestige for the services and is it worth it?

Another option is Bavarian Motors. Anyone have experience with them?

Also I need advise about upgrading the Navigation with SL maps. I saw couple of places for BMW coding advertised on FB. Any one have experiance with them? 

Congrats on the purchase .Please do entertain us with some pics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Congrats. Nice ride. Comparing with X1 this looks quite sporty and modern. I think the ground clearance is a bit less than the X1?

Would be the same ground clearance, if at all the X2 will look much taller due to the design.

Upto the owner, but I would suggest you register with the agents free of charge, have a look at what they offer and decide if you want to send it for service there. On the maps agents wont install the Sri Lanka map on the Jap spec vehicles as the software for maps is different to the ones you find on the vehicles which come from Europe or Australia. Maybe iRage could correct me, the software  for navigation in Japan is slightly more advanced and show more details than the other maps.

Congrats on the purchase btw. Hope you didnt go and pay the inflated prices.

On 9/3/2020 at 6:27 AM, sathyajithj99 said:

Congrats. Nice ride. Comparing with X1 this looks quite sporty and modern. I think the ground clearance is a bit less than the X1?

Actually the ground clearance is almost equal to my Leaf which is 160mm although in the reviews the ground clearance of the X2 is mentioned as 180mm. I think X1 is a bit higher than that.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:32 AM, Gummybr said:

Would be the same ground clearance, if at all the X2 will look much taller due to the design.

Upto the owner, but I would suggest you register with the agents free of charge, have a look at what they offer and decide if you want to send it for service there. On the maps agents wont install the Sri Lanka map on the Jap spec vehicles as the software for maps is different to the ones you find on the vehicles which come from Europe or Australia. Maybe iRage could correct me, the software  for navigation in Japan is slightly more advanced and show more details than the other maps.

Congrats on the purchase btw. Hope you didnt go and pay the inflated prices.

The X2 overall hight is lower than X1. It looks and handles more like a car than a SUV or a crossover. But the suspension is slightly on the stiffer side and steering is heavier than a hybrid or a EV.

Regarding the maps Shimotors offered to update SL maps for 55k. But still I'm thinking whether to install screen mirroring for just 15k and use google maps from mobile phone. The maps if installed will be offline maps so it wont be updated so spending 55k may not be worth.

And no. I think I just managed to get the car days before the prices got inflated. The sale offered a good price for the exchange of my Vezel (6 Mil) and the X2 was bought for 11.5 M which in present situation is a good price in my opinion.

Also I heard the agent does not bring down the X2. Is that correct?

On 9/3/2020 at 1:51 PM, fiat fan said:

Does it have the sunroof? Wish they came with leather though.

My one doesnt have sunroof. I think it is a unwanted luxury in SL. But I'm a bit dissapointed of not having adaptive cruise control which I enjoyed in the Vezel. Buying a vehicle which is already imported does not give you much of a choise when it comes to options.

The seats are actually Suede (raw leather) which feels more comfy and pampered compared with ordinary leather seats.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:40 PM, RWD said:

Love the look of the x2! Please share the driving experience. 

Did a couple of trips to Kandy and back. The accelaration and handling is the best  I have experianced so far. 

Edited by rover
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rover said:

Actually the ground clearance is almost equal to my Leaf which is 160mm although in the reviews the ground clearance of the X2 is mentioned as 180mm. I think X1 is a bit higher than that.

The X2 overall hight is lower than X1. It looks and handles more like a car than a SUV or a crossover. But the suspension is slightly on the stiffer side and steering is heavier than a hybrid or a EV.

Regarding the maps Shimotors offered to update SL maps for 55k. But still I'm thinking whether to install screen mirroring for just 15k and use google maps from mobile phone. The maps if installed will be offline maps so it wont be updated so spending 55k may not be worth.

And no. I think I just managed to get the car days before the prices got inflated. The sale offered a good price for the exchange of my Vezel (6 Mil) and the X2 was bought for 11.5 M which in present situation is a good price in my opinion.

Also I heard the agent does not bring down the X2. Is that correct?

Ground clearance wise it should be the same rover. 

If you have Apple CarPlay use that for the maps. Very accurate.

Suspension will be slightly stiffer as you have the M Sport version. 

Agents bought the X2, but not after the luxury tax was implemented.

• Thanks 1