Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • 0

Premio 260 (2013) gear slipping


Amilapk
 Share

Question

My Premio 260 model with 70k km mileage has a gear slipping while accelerating from 0. This occurs only when going up a hill. When driving in a traffic and stop the car in D position and when trying to accelerate engine rpm goes up and vehicle moves with a slight delay with a knock/jerk. Can hear the noise too from the engine compartment. Otherwise it drives smoothly. This doesn't happen always, but happened several times. Maintenance done properly including CVT oil change at 40k km.

Agents checked and said its normal for the model. (Normal gear slipping???)

Called Nilwala Motors, and they too said it's a common issue in the particular model which can't be corrected.

It's really annoying, as it is a significant jerk. Suppose if you are driving a manual gear car on a hill and in clutch balance, you accelerate the car and suddenly release the clutch pedal, then you know how it moves... It is the same feeling I have when I get the so called problem.

Anyone had the similar experience?

Is this a symptom of CVT gear box failure?

Any solution to repair or over come the issue?( What I do is keeping left foot on the brake pedal and right foot on the accelerator pedal and giving a clutch balance like thing, but its not a proper solution)

Highly appreciate expert opinions.

Thanks in advance.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

hi,

i guess its common to CVTs. i used to experience this in a Allion when its on slight hill. i avoid this by shifting to a lower gear. i have had similar experience with the civic 10th gen at around 29-30 speed. i had a colleague who had much more severe slip/jerk in his fit. it seems to be an issue with CVTs. i have not experience this in C180 20111/12 models.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
10 hours ago, hrm said:

Gentle accelerator inputs usually masks this behavior.

While that sounds good on paper when you realize the car isn't moving the reflexive reaction is to depress the accelerator harder :D 

Conventional automatics are much smoother in similar situations. Either they move without complain or start doing a burnout!

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
47 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

While that sounds good on paper when you realize the car isn't moving the reflexive reaction is to depress the accelerator harder :D 

Conventional automatics are much smoother in similar situations. Either they move without complain or start doing a burnout!

 

 

To be honest I don't feel this problem 9/10 times in my car. Neither did in my previous Vitz given that I regularly travel up country. What I do feel is something similar to a kick down in a regular automatic if accelerator is pressed hard.

Edited by hrm
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, hrm said:

To be honest I don't feel this problem 9/10 times in my car. Neither did in my previous Vitz given that I regularly travel up country. What I do feel is something similar to a kick down in a regular automatic if accelerator is pressed hard.

Yeah depends on the roads you travel. Back when I owned a Belta, I experienced this jerk and shudder every time when I traveled on this concrete road which connected to the main road - it was a steep incline which would make the car roll back if you didn't use the brake. If I release the brake pedal and then accelerate the car would jerk, shudder and generally just refuse to move - the solution was to accelerate the car a bit and then release the brake. That made it way less noticeable. The Lancer though, moves with no complain regardless of how I release the brake and depress the accelerator - the only time it fails to move is when I give more than necessary acceleration input and then the front wheels would lose traction and just spin in place

Edited by Hyaenidae
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Yeah depends on the roads you travel. Back when I owned a Belta, I experienced this jerk and shudder every time when I traveled on this concrete road which connected to the main road - it was a steep incline which would make the car roll back if you didn't use the brake. If I release the brake pedal and then accelerate the car would jerk, shudder and generally just refuse to move - the solution was to accelerate the car a bit and then release the brake. That made it way less noticeable. The Lancer though, moves with no complain regardless of how I release the brake and depress the accelerator - the only time it fails to move is when I give more than necessary acceleration input and then the front wheels would lose traction and just spin in place

One reason is when you stop in the middle of the hill and apply brakes, CVT would put the transmission in neutral. When you press the accelerator there's a delay to shift back into D and the car rolls back. Solution is to use hand brake. For small inclines this is not necessary but for steep ones I always use hand brake if i have to stop and go. Feature such as hill hold would overcome this.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
16 minutes ago, hrm said:

One reason is when you stop in the middle of the hill and apply brakes, CVT would put the transmission in neutral. When you press the accelerator there's a delay to shift back into D and the car rolls back. Solution is to use hand brake. For small inclines this is not necessary but for steep ones I always use hand brake if i have to stop and go. Feature such as hill hold would overcome this.

Wait....are you telling me that the Allion/Premio does not have hill start assist ? That is a bummer...I thought my Father in-law's ex Allion 18A had it....Nagasaki is a very mountainous area and I cannot recall that thing rolling back on me. Hmmm....

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 minute ago, iRage said:

Wait....are you telling me that the Allion/Premio does not have hill start assist ? That is a bummer...I thought my Father in-law's ex Allion 18A had it....Nagasaki is a very mountainous area and I cannot recall that thing rolling back on me. Hmmm....

260s are very basic vehicles.  They have sky high price tags but don't have the most basic options 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 minutes ago, iRage said:

Wait....are you telling me that the Allion/Premio does not have hill start assist ? That is a bummer...I thought my Father in-law's ex Allion 18A had it....Nagasaki is a very mountainous area and I cannot recall that thing rolling back on me. Hmmm....

It doesnt. At least A15 doesn't. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

260s are very basic vehicles.  They have sky high price tags but don't have the most basic options 

I would say old school and easy to live with. It's an old platform.  Many economy cars of that era didn't had it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
41 minutes ago, hrm said:

It doesnt. At least A15 doesn't. 

So checked the catalog. Hill Start Assist was introduced to the Allion and Premio in 2014 across all grades. So even my Father in law's 2008 A18 would not have had it. Strange...never had problems starting on hills.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
48 minutes ago, iRage said:

So checked the catalog. Hill Start Assist was introduced to the Allion and Premio in 2014 across all grades. So even my Father in law's 2008 A18 would not have had it. Strange...never had problems starting on hills.

I also had problem only on steep hills. Normal inclines never gave an issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, hrm said:

I would say old school and easy to live with. It's an old platform.  Many economy cars of that era didn't had it.

I also appreciate it's simplicity and the comfort provided by the boat like suspension. I think the prices owners quote are ridiculous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

I also appreciate it's simplicity and the comfort provided by the boat like suspension. I think the prices owners quote are ridiculous. 

That's the problem . Also most of them are big headed and user groups are filled with brokers. Really hard to get an honest opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

CVT's are annoying AF. When I had the GP1 that too tended to have a bit of a roll-back on steep hills. While this is not an issue on the civic still the CVT gear box spoils the fun. I'd always prefer a normal A/T over CVT . Nothing comes close to a DCT though... :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, hrm said:

I also had problem only on steep hills. Normal inclines never gave an issue. 

Yeah...but Nagasaki is full of steep inclines. Driving a manual there is a pain in all the unsightly places :) Plenty of places where you start crawling up hill in traffic and then right as you reach the peak the traffic light turns red :D

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

AutoLanka Cars For Sale

Post Your Ad Free [Click Here]



×
×
  • Create New...