• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Recipes for the Hungry Motorhead by Motorheads

Sylvi

Members,

When the word Toddy came up on AL I write my love for that, When I had my land in Mundal I had few trees taping Toddy, Conditions was Toddy tapper has to give full two bottles as the tree owners share. When ever I go there I really enjoy the drink. At present the Toddy is available in Colombo as well as out of Colombo they are mostly artificially made Toddy. Most people cannot find the difference, only next day person who consumes about one bottle will have a good loose motion next day. Original Coconut toddy will never give that problem.

Every time I go to Jaela I buy few bottles specially to prepare PORK CURRY. Have to boil entire 1 kilo or more in slow fire with all necessary spices for three hours. Till Toddy becomes a thick gravy then leave same for few hours to settle down Slice to required slices if wants to have later can use the Deep Freezer for later consumption. Roast the slices till well done. I still prepare this once a week consume very little due to my old age during good old days use to have at lest 300 Grams for a meal. Now suffering with Cholesterol problem for what I ate in my early life. Ros-ted Poke Taste becomes like little sweet but I like that.

I hope members will understand me because this is a Automobile forum. I have written about cooking PORK curry of my way.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Sylvi said:

Members,

When the word Toddy came up on AL I write my love for that, When I had my land in Mundal I had few trees taping Toddy, Conditions was Toddy tapper has to give full two bottles as the tree owners share. When ever I go there I really enjoy the drink.

Wow! What a delightful little arrangement! So Ja-ela is the place to go for some good unadulterated toddy then I take it, not Kadugannawa?

(Also I could be wrong but I believe over there in the hills its a different kind of toddy (kitual toddy) that they consume?)

10 hours ago, Sylvi said:

Every time I go to Jaela I buy few bottles specially to prepare PORK CURRY. Have to boil entire 1 kilo or more in slow fire with all necessary spices for three hours. Till Toddy becomes a thick gravy then leave same for few hours 

Never had a curry like that-But it sounds delicious! (It sounds a bit like Irish stew were the vegetables and meat get simmered in a dark stout etc.)

49 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Wow! What a delightful little arrangement! So Ja-ela is the place to go for some good unadulterated toddy then I take it, not Kadugannawa?

(Also I could be wrong but I believe over there in the hills its a different kind of toddy (kitual toddy) that they consume?)

Never had a curry like that-But it sounds delicious! (It sounds a bit like Irish stew were the vegetables and meat get simmered in a dark stout etc.)

Just now, Sylvi said:

Kavvz,

I have never tried Dark Stout for beef or Pork, have used Beer to both (B&P) they come very good. I am going to try for Chicken boil in Stout as unable to get Beef or Poke at this time 6.50 PM. Will give the result early.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sylvi said:

Kavvz,

I have never tried Dark Stout for beef or Pork, have used Beer to both (B&P) they come very good. I am going to try for Chicken boil in Stout as unable to get Beef or Poke at this time 6.50 PM. Will give the result early.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi. 

I have never tried it with Chicken Mr.@Sylvi,so I will await your results with interest...Meanwhile here's what I meant when I referenced Irish stew:

And if you are watching what you eat you can even try it with just vegetables as below, and that comes out really nice as well. I've had this particular vegetarian version of Irish stew (the one that is listed below, not the one above) for dinner a couple of times. The only change we make to the recipe is to add a handful of cooked chickpeas and you can eat it as is, no need for bread and its very filling and relatively healthy (I think) that way too....

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Might I suggest serving your pork/steak/turkey/chicken with some tobacco onions and sautéed mushroom/Brocolli on the side? Just a hint of veggies to balance things out, damn good stuff. 

On the topic of stews @Kavvz, how about trying the Nigerian method as well:

Edited by AVANTE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AVANTE said:

Might I suggest serving your pork/steak/turkey/chicken with some tobacco onions and sautéed mushroom/Brocolli on the side? Just a hint of veggies to balance things out, damn good stuff. 

On the topic of stews @Kavvz, how about trying the Nigerian method as well:

A touch heavy on the the veg oil there but it does look pretty darn good 👍. I have an aunt who fries her beef cubes before making it into beef curry (probably like what's shown here) and it tastes amazing. Alas! No idea how she actually makes it though...

Edited by Kavvz

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

A touch heavy on the the veg oil there but it does look pretty darn good 👍. I have an aunt who fries her beef cubes before making it into beef curry (probably like what's shown here) and it tastes amazing. Alas! No idea how she actually makes it though...

Of course, we can always do a bit of altering to suit our taste buds and health. 

Speaking of Gordon ramsey, the most favourite recipe I follow from him is the simple breakfast, no oil scrambled eggs, sautéed mushroom and tomatoes on the side, served with brown bread (although we don't have brown bread here sadly). 

I got some Zucchini recently, which is a hard find in this area. Aiming to make my own variation of Ratatouille. 

Edited by AVANTE

11 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Of course, we can always do a bit of altering to suit our taste buds and health.

Absolutely, there's nothing a bit of good ole Sri Lankan seasonings can't fix and most of the time cutting down on the oil is pretty easy to do. Especially when cooking mutton / lamb. Its so fatty that just browning the meat before cooking and using the rendered fat to cook / brown off everything else  is a very simple way to cut down on using any extra cooking oils...

11 hours ago, AVANTE said:

I got some Zucchini recently, which is a hard find in this area. Aiming to make my own variation of Ratatouille. 

👍 

Here's my additions to this thread from two series that I follow on TV and Youtube.

from 4WD 24/7

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=4wd+24%2F7+shauno+cooking

From Unleashed / All 4 Adventure

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unleashed+tv+cooking

Have had my own recipes, which will be shared when free. 

That looks good Peri - seems the AL community are a bit into food... this is an interesting thread and I'll try to update this with a a few of my own food-pics and some quick hacks - I basically make my own poor-mans versions of dishes based on what I have in the fridge. I don't tackle the complicated stuff usually and leave it to the wife :D 

for instance this is my local/improvised take on Bibimbap.

image.png.cf8a8e5522c7141623dab918fcf4998f.png

And this is a Beans/Quinoa based Brunch inspired by one of Jamie Oliver's recipes 

image.png.d8c2e5a94fadf6def9bc276942372e80.png

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, matroska said:

for instance this is my local/improvised take on Bibimbap.

image.png.cf8a8e5522c7141623dab918fcf4998f.png

And this is a Beans/Quinoa based Brunch inspired by one of Jamie Oliver's recipes 

image.png.d8c2e5a94fadf6def9bc276942372e80.png

Wow, some healthy eats there man...nice! (You must be one of those healthy-fit, jump up and give me 20 pushup's, types and all... Impressive.)

Maybe in 2021 I'll go on a diet / eat healthy. Right now in 2020 they way things are going I need all the comfort (food) I can get !! :D 

Edited by Kavvz

Members,

1 Day late reply I did make the Chicken with Stout was not that good like Pork or Beef, then I left the rest in Refrigerator last morning used the oven low temperature and roasted mixing Butter Onions more Salt and Lime Tomato sauce for my palate, the Chicken was really nice crispy with Stout taste coming on the back.

Yesterday Jaela was open but no Toddy. Managed to get Pork and Beef. Can enjoy the Stout with Stout. Jungle stuff was available, did not buy do not know how old was same. Can end up in hospital if you eat old stuff, one driver of mine I had to enter him to hospital for food poisoning Few years ago when I had my holiday home for more than 30 years. At present I use my Jaela home for night outing, but not like out of Colombo having a river bath enjoying fresh Toddy Visiting village Fair. I sold that little land due to my old age traveling, Invested the returns on Colombo Buildings.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Kavvz,

Dear member do not eat too many fatty foods can get all common BP,BG. Have to test lipid profile every 6 months. If  you are old more than 40 years. If not most common ailments will have to embrace. By middle age also try to keep your body weight to recommended weight. 

Eating Buriyani Gee rice Poke are like Poison to your health. In my young days every Sunday I ate Gee Rice with all fatty Poke. Five times Beef for all entire week days very little fish. I did plenty of electrical maintenance on large fishing trawlers, used to get fish roe and all edible other fish parts, from them.

Even today I go to Beruwala to get all those and specially Jadi. Cannot get Jadi in Colombo I have few owners of fishing Trawlers who have contacts to people who make Jadi. They supply me at present. Best is Thora, Balaya, kelawalla, Kumbalava and big Salaya. At present Jadi dealers have Dolphin fish Jadi that I do not like.

I have given very little of my living style in my past. At present I refrain from most of my bad habits, due to my old age and few ailments I have. I did all that without any harm to other's.

I remain for today.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Sylvi said:

In my young days every Sunday I ate Gee Rice with all fatty Poke. Five times Beef for all entire week days very little fish.

Just like you ate in your younger days, let him eat too and let him start having health meals when he comes to your age just like how you did. ;) 

Edited by PreseaLover

14 hours ago, Sylvi said:

I have given very little of my living style in my past. At present I refrain from most of my bad habits, due to my old age and few ailments I have. I did all that without any harm to other's.

I remain for today.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Its fascinating hearing about your life, and I always enjoy your posts about your life, your various experiences with cars as well as your memories of Colombo. 

And Thank you for the kind advice Mr. @Sylvi Like you, I too, am trying hard to change my lifestyle a bit and eat healthier foods: May we both succeed in our quest!

Edited by Kavvz

1 minute ago, PreseaLover said:

Just like you ate in your younger days, let him eat too and let him start having health meals when he comes to your age. ;) 

But @PreseaLover its always better to eat healthy and adopt a healthy lifestyle regardless of your age. (Just like its always better to do regular oil changes and preventive maintenance on your car rather than try to get rid of engine sludge after it forms etc... Its not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea right?)

1 minute ago, Kavvz said:

But @PreseaLover its always better to eat healthy and adopt a healthy lifestyle regardless of your age. (Just like its always better to do regular oil changes and preventive maintenance on your car rather than try to get rid of engine sludge after it forms etc... Its not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea right?)

Very true. Totally agree.. But I'd rather eat junk/ drink/ Smoke do all the shit and die young. I believe in the peace of death. The more you live, the more pain it is. So YOLO for me ;) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Wow, some healthy eats there man...nice! (You must be one of those healthy-fit, jump up and give me 20 pushup's, types and all... Impressive.)

Maybe in 2021 I'll go on a diet / eat healthy. Right now in 2020 they way things are going I need all the comfort (food) I can get !! :D 

ahhh if only you knew my friend...if only you knew :D - I'm usually 6-8 Kg's overweight and I HATE exercise ( I don't mind walking and that's something i've not done since lockdown)  so when i feel I'm excessively gaining weight I try to control it with food - I usually decide to eat healthy specially when I'm cooking. But the problem is the wifey cooks most of the time and she'd make Pizza or some baked goodies on weekends ...and then my mom lives close by and would drop by or ask us to visit whenever she makes anything I like (and with mom's there are no small quantities when it comes to food)  AND when the in-laws visit usually once a month mother in law brings at least a kilo  of cooked pork. So fair to say it's a losing battle. 

7 hours ago, Sylvi said:

but not like out of Colombo having a river bath enjoying fresh Toddy Visiting village Fair. I sold that little land due to my old age traveling, Invested the returns on Colombo Buildings.

Nice to read Mr.Sylvi - I live somewhat close to Ja Ela too - my late uncle used to bring toddy on Fridays I think it was from Ja Ela . The best toddy I've had was in a village bordering Matale and Kurunegala districts where there is an abundance of Kitul trees

5 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

Very true. Totally agree.. But I'd rather eat junk/ drink/ Smoke do all the shit and die young. I believe in the peace of death. The more you live, the more pain it is. So YOLO for me

Sadly life never gives out what you need - the peeps who want to live fast and die young end up living 89 years and those who want to live as much as possible get wiped out young. So it's best to take a moderate approach to life - just see what life dishes out and try to adapt and make peace with life. Also priorities change - my uncle used to be a jovial fellow who ate heartily (drank ...not too much but mostly it was the food that was bad ) never took a medical test (even though displaying symptoms of diabetes) and he had the same motto as you but then he married had a kid and then priorities changed - he planned out his retirement, invested in land and everything and passed away at 54 one year short of his retirement. So yeah. (Sorry about the morbid comment) 

Edited by matroska
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, matroska said:

ahhh if only you knew my friend...if only you knew :D - I'm usually 6-8 Kg's overweight and I HATE exercise ( I don't mind walking and that's something i've not done since lockdown)  so when i feel I'm excessively gaining weight I try to control it with food - I usually decide to eat healthy specially when I'm cooking. But the problem is the wifey cooks most of the time and she'd make Pizza or some baked goodies on weekends ...and then my mom lives close by and would drop by or ask us to visit whenever she makes anything I like (and with mom's there are no small quantities when it comes to food)  AND when the in-laws visit usually once a month mother in law brings at least a kilo  of cooked pork. So fair to say it's a losing battle. 

Nice to read Mr.Sylvi - I live somewhat close to Ja Ela too - my late uncle used to bring toddy on Fridays I think it was from Ja Ela .

Wow. So Ja-Ela is where the good life is at then huh>? Nice. As for the wife, mother, mother in law, food situation: Sounds AWESOME. The perfect setup! One of the many perks of being married to the right person! :D 

• Haha 1

PreseaLover

As you say to consume food like me. Another thing I forgot to write was about Black Crabs in Puttalam. I did plenty of maintaining Earth moving Machinery Electrical units in Puttalam during 1960. Then Government was opening up the Railway line to Aruwakkaru up to  Puttalalm Palavi Cement Corporation site, the Clinker site was about 17 miles away from P Town.

About Crabs, large black Crab was costing maximum 2/= Rupees, mixed small medium and few large about 50 Black Crabs can buy for 20/= Rupees all of them was live. Large Hurrulla fish was 10 Cents each, Very rarely small fish was sold for weight. Small fish was sold in lots. Only large fish was sold by weight Lbs. I cannot remember the costs of large fish because I am a Crab and Hurrulla fish fan. I used to buy in large quantity's on my way back for my relatives who live closely by. Today large live black Crab will be 1500/= Rupees in Colombo 03 at Sea view avenue fish shop.

Used to travel 4 to 5 tines a month. Old Puttalam town was not developed like today. This was a Muslim dominated town all trades were Muslims, they were very helpful. Still whenever I go I meet them, some are dead. Third generation is living there with all new buildings some are deviated from their traditional Dry fish business having very big buildings with all modern luxury goods for sale.

There was only one Liquor shop and Toddy tavern there at that time Rest house was the only place to have a good meal. Plenty of home made distilled Liquor was there cost was 5/= Rupees a bottle. If order is given early can get made from pure Toddy cost varies.

Still there are few descendants of old generation is there, only two wholesale shops do retail dry fish business there. I have one shop I buy from the original owners great grand son. When I fist visited there, owners age was about late 70. His  son was also was there, later son took over today the third generation is doing same old dry fish business.

I remain for today.

Sylvester Wijesinghe.

Sylvi.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok so as promised here goes.

Recipe No 1.

We go on an outing as a bunch of cousins for Christmas and we used to camp until we all started working and started to go out to far out places and a bit of luxury. This we camped on the Labugama Kalatuwawa dam in 2010. We used to marinate the chicken and all the meat items. We used to buy the chicken whole leg as it can be cut into 3 pieces. The marinating process was done the day before. Normal seasoning stuff like curry powder, salt, cinnamon, chili powder, gambodge, pepper powder, soya sauce, tomato sauce, curry leaves, tea leaves and a bit of bees honey to get the taste were added. We had excess chicken after the BBQ and thought of using it on the next day for breakfast to be had with the bread we took.

Morning came so with no coconut milk to put we put water into a pot and put the marinated chicken and cooked a bit whilst adding water as we needed gravy for the bread. It came out very well and tasted so much better than the normal chicken curry and no one complained.

Thats how you make chicken curry without coconut milk.