• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rear left break drum damage

Shenath Silva

Question

Hi guys, 

Recently I noticed that my Kia Rio 2004's rear left wheel drum has a crack and a part of it is missing. 

Are there any dangers driving like this? 

Garage guy said it's not a huge issue. But it's my first car and my knowledge is very little so I thought of asking you guys.  Any advise is appreciated. 

I've attached few photos.

Thanks! 

PXL_20210901_061013385.jpg

PXL_20210901_060956439.jpg

7 answers to this question

Brakes get extremely hot and there is a rapid change from low to high tempreture and then if there is rain or snow, sudden drops in tempreture. As a result it is normal for drums to develop small cracks on the outter surface . However, what you have is excessive and gone way beyond the point manufactureres recommend drums to be changed. The continuous increase and decrease in tempreture of the metal will simply just cause the crack to expand and the metal to chip away. You never know when this will happen and it very well could be whilst you are driving and braking. 

So best to get it changed.

• Like 1

Did the "garage guy" drop the brake drum on the floor while the car was on the hoist? Certainly looks like that kind of damage. 😉

In any case, get it replaced soon as that can cause brake pedal vibration if the crack develops further. Also, there a hole there, so water can get in easily and corrode the springs and brake mechanism inside. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shenath Silva said:

Thanks guys. I understood. 

I'm pretty sure mechanic had something to do with it. He was too defensive about it.

I'll get that repaired as soon as possible. 

If the mechanic did have something to do with it...be glad that he did not try to cover it up by filling it with putty and painting it over so it cannot be seen. Yes..have seen mechanics do s***ty stuff with brake pads, exhaust manifolds, radiator mounts and pretty sure many other things (and some of these were in America !!!)

Damn. 

5 hours ago, iRage said:

If the mechanic did have something to do with it...be glad that he did not try to cover it up by filling it with putty and painting it over so it cannot be seen. Yes..have seen mechanics do s***ty stuff with brake pads, exhaust manifolds, radiator mounts and pretty sure many other things (and some of these were in America !!!)

Damn. Wonder what made the mechanic decide against replacing it. I told him I am willing to pay for the part. If it was ignorance, I don't think I should visit that garage anymore.  

On 9/1/2021 at 12:10 PM, Shenath Silva said:

Hi guys, 

Recently I noticed that my Kia Rio 2004's rear left wheel drum has a crack and a part of it is missing. 

Are there any dangers driving like this? 

Garage guy said it's not a huge issue. But it's my first car and my knowledge is very little so I thought of asking you guys.  Any advise is appreciated. 

I've attached few photos.

Thanks! 

PXL_20210901_061013385.jpg

PXL_20210901_060956439.jpg

Please see if you can share the so called garage Guy and face if possible

SO we  can get people to stay away from him - Not a Big Issue ... My A#$$

Like every one has said - Replace it - Any basic knowledge /Common sense would have addressed this issue