• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Looking to buy my first car

carlover_07

Question

Hey Guys,

First of all, apologies for asking a such a repeated question here on AL, but since this is going to be my first car, I want to be absolutely sure before I make my decision. My budget is around 2.5m and the most I can stretch to is 2.8m. The daily commute will be around 40km (so yes I do consider fuel consumption to be a factor). Don't and won't care if it's toyota (but I do like the look of the starlet ep91) and the maintenance should be hassle-free (as I'm still a student).

I've done some research myself and shortlisted potential vehicles that suit my requirement,

1. Viva elite 2011ish manual transmission 
  2. Suzuki Swift 2009ish
  3. Nissan March AK12

I do prefer hatchbacks over sedans but do suggest me some vehicles that fall within my budget range and what you think of my first choices.

I'm not the biggest car guy, so tips and pointers to buying the first car will also be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

13 answers to this question

I'm a big fan of your first option Viva elite 2011ish manual transmission if the car is well maintained. I think its Daihatsu Dual VVTi EJ-VE engine is really good. I love the Manual transmission, it is pretty fun for been a lighter car.

Not having ABS and Airbags is a little concern.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, carlover_07 said:

since this is going to be my first car, I want to be absolutely sure before I make my decision. My budget is around 2.5m and the 

I've done some research myself and shortlisted

1. Viva elite 2011ish manual transmission 
  2. Suzuki Swift 2009ish
  3. Nissan March AK12

I think any of the three listed above will be excellent as a starter car. My advice would be to pick any of the above and focus on getting the best maintained car you can find. 

19 hours ago, carlover_07 said:

Can someone please tell me how it compares to an Elite in terms of fuel consumption? Also your thoughts on the Starlet EP91 & NP90, say '97ish?

Fuel consumption of a nearly 20 year old car would depend a lot on the condition of the car. Engine and transmission wear,etc has a lot to do with it...so there really is no way to give a reasonable assessment.

Stay away from the Starlets...97.5% of them are thrashed heaps of junk (either by cheap owners or racer boys with some wierd half-witted , cheap conversions. the decent 2.5% are over priced or will not be sold even if you threaten them with physical harm.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iRage said:

Fuel consumption of a nearly 20 year old car would depend a lot on the condition of the car. Engine and transmission wear,etc has a lot to do with it...so there really is no way to give a reasonable assessment.

Stay away from the Starlets...97.5% of them are thrashed heaps of junk (either by cheap owners or racer boys with some wierd half-witted , cheap conversions. the decent 2.5% are over priced or will not be sold even if you threaten them with physical harm.

yes. go for a Presea or a Bluebird. Solid shit! 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 8:00 PM, carlover_07 said:

Also your thoughts on the Starlet EP91 & NP90, say '97ish?

Starlets are a little overpriced - but if you're patient you can find a decent version. While many have gone through a 'conversion' someway or the other there are some pretty decently kept specimens. The only thing is that gut feeling you're paying a ridiculous amount for an ancient car - but it's pretty easy car to live with. Avoid paying ridiculous amounts for GT conversions - most of them are just cosmetic dress up jobs. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your kind replies, I too am a little biased towards the Elite as it is newer compared to the other two.

However, I sorta ran into a Mazda Familia 323 2003 on a classifieds website, it is within my budget but I don't know much about that car.

Can someone please tell me how it compares to an Elite in terms of fuel consumption? Also your thoughts on the Starlet EP91 & NP90, say '97ish?

13 hours ago, carlover_07 said:

Thank you so much for the kind replies, but before I finalize my decision, what's your take on the Chevrolet Cruze 2004ish and the Perodua Kelisa 2004-2007. I found a few Kelisa's for around 2.4mn and a few Cruze's for around 2.8mn. Thanks in advance! 

I can't get my head around these prices because we bought both these models for half this price 

Cruze : Have one in the family and it keeps running and running.  Decent day-to-day car specially in the Sri Lankan context. The high ground clearance is specially useful if you travel on bad roads. It's a very 'practical' car. It's not overly exciting to drive nor is it economical fuel wise specially considering it's got a smallish engine and a small car. The usual wear and tear will be there by now so you need to pay attention on stuff like cv joints - which are a little hard to come by for the model : but not impossible. Recon parts are there.  I personally like the car for it's practicality. 

Kelisa : Was the wifeys first car which meant that I basically took care of it for a long time : Very simple and nimble car. It's a little cramped for me (I'm 5'11' and weigh 85 Kg). Sweet little 3 pot engine on a light body so its a fun car to drive. Very basic but at the same time very simple : some basic maintenance can be done yourself. Car is prone to vibration and noisy but at the same time make sure there is no excessive vibration (I mean the car acts like its having an epileptic fit) specially in reverse since bust engine mounts are a very very common issue with the car.  Auto does about 10-11 KMPL. Manual maybe a bit more. 

3 hours ago, matroska said:

I can't get my head around these prices because we bought both these models for half this price 

Cruze : Have one in the family and it keeps running and running.  Decent day-to-day car specially in the Sri Lankan context. The high ground clearance is specially useful if you travel on bad roads. It's a very 'practical' car. It's not overly exciting to drive nor is it economical fuel wise specially considering it's got a smallish engine and a small car. The usual wear and tear will be there by now so you need to pay attention on stuff like cv joints - which are a little hard to come by for the model : but not impossible. Recon parts are there.  I personally like the car for it's practicality. 

Kelisa : Was the wifeys first car which meant that I basically took care of it for a long time : Very simple and nimble car. It's a little cramped for me (I'm 5'11' and weigh 85 Kg). Sweet little 3 pot engine on a light body so its a fun car to drive. Very basic but at the same time very simple : some basic maintenance can be done yourself. Car is prone to vibration and noisy but at the same time make sure there is no excessive vibration (I mean the car acts like its having an epileptic fit) specially in reverse since bust engine mounts are a very very common issue with the car.  Auto does about 10-11 KMPL. Manual maybe a bit more. 

OT: Matroska, been waiting to read your update on how the Starlet is doing after the heart transplant. Hope its coming!

Update on my first car hunt: I inspected a couple of familias but they didn't say 'buy me' from the first look, and honestly were not in a great shape overall. I came across a lot of vehicles which are highly overpriced and I seriously doubt whether I should spend close 3.5mn on a cars that are very old.

But one of my friends is selling this Ford Laser 2001 beaut and she fits to my requirements perfectly I guess (other than being a sedan which is okay ig). I read everything I can find on the car here but most of the posts are a decade old. What I want to know is the spare parts availability (I read it's almost the same as the 323 except for the body parts), but will it be difficult to source spares easily and the reliability of the car. And the quoted price is 2.5mn which I think I can negotiate a bit.

Hoping for some expert advice and any other cars that you can suggest that fall within the same class. (And I was able to convince my parents to stretch the budget to 3.5mn). Thanks in advance and apologies for the late reply (online exams and lectures are killing me). 

5 hours ago, carlover_07 said:

Ford Laser 2001

If you know the car and its history....then there really is no need to look any further is there ? Especially considering all the junk you see that are for sale and are highly questionable... ?

Get a good understanding of what needs to be done, get a car checks report and then move forward. The Laser is a nice car. Mechanically, they are mostly the same as the Familiar/323 so when it comes to consumbales you will be okay. as for body parts, it is not going ot be common as Japanese body parts where you can just go to any shop in Delkanda and find any part. But then again, you won't be completely stranded either. there are several Ford parts dealers who i am sure will be able to help you out, failing which, you can always get it shipped from abroad. Body parts and such are not things that you will need on a regular basis so the limited supply of body parts should not be something that keeps you away from a potentially safe buy.