• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

92 or 95 for Vitz 2019

NASk

Question

12 answers to this question

20 hours ago, NASk said:

vitz 2019

Your Vitz is designed to run on "Regular" gasoline in Japan. In Japan "Regular" gasoline has an octane rating of 88/89 to anything up to 95ish...High Octane anything from 95 to 98ish. So your Vitz will be fine on 92 Octane fuel as long as the fuel is clean.

20 hours ago, NASk said:

E10/ETBE22

This part shows that the car is compatible with Bio-Fuels, i.e. gasoline that is mixed with bioethanol (made with plant based products liek sugar cane, corn, etc...)

E10 part shows that the gasoline has to have a 10% mix of biethanol. The ETBE part shows the mixture of Ethyl Tertiary Butyl Ether which is produced from ethanol and isobutylene.

On 4/17/2022 at 10:08 AM, NASk said:

s it ok to use 92 octane hereafter? 

Do we even have the luxury of choosing anymore (95 vs 92) ? 😩

Edited by K.o.N.o.S

1 hour ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

I think it is a matter of getting your hands on anything that you can get your hands on.

But yeah...like @mazdaspeed mentioned, perhaps adding a fuel quality improver (octane booster, water chaser, etc...) irrespective of the octane rating might be prudent. But then again that can get rather pricey.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2022 at 10:08 AM, NASk said:

Is it ok to use 92 octane hereafter? 

Yes. 

1 hour ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

ugh yeah - I've been lucky with the civic so far - I'm afraid my lucks running out.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iRage said:

I think it is a matter of getting your hands on anything that you can get your hands on.

But yeah...like @mazdaspeed mentioned, perhaps adding a fuel quality improver (octane booster, water chaser, etc...) irrespective of the octane rating might be prudent. But then again that can get rather pricey.

This is something I have never done so far. In order to add the Octane booster the fuel tank needs to be near empty levels right? How much should I add if I am filling the tank with the cap of 59 liters ( Assuming the current 5000rs fuel restriction is not in effect).

23 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

In order to add the Octane booster the fuel tank needs to be near empty levels right?

I am confussed by this :)

Well...the fuel additive will have instructions which state how many litres of fuel a single bottle should be used for. Typically 1 bottle for about 40-50 litres. Since this gives you an idea of the mixture ratio, you can work out how much of the bottle you can use to the rough fuel volume in the tank (since the intermittent filling can't give you a proper value of volume, you will have to guesstimate your fuel amount with the meter. Since a bottle works for anything from 40 to 50 litres it gives you a very high margin of error for your guess work)

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2022 at 1:20 PM, K.o.N.o.S said:

This is something I have never done so far. In order to add the Octane booster the fuel tank needs to be near empty levels right? How much should I add if I am filling the tank with the cap of 59 liters ( Assuming the current 5000rs fuel restriction is not in effect).

I Rage had shared info on the volume..... But as for the empty tank - well I've not done it- All I've done is top it up to full tank and added the  full contents of the booster - As my tank is 55L. One bottle is sufficient.

There has been several complaints of cars failing to start as of lately ...

• Like 1

There is a big book that come with your car which is generally in your glow box or compartment under your driver/ passenger seat.

If you care to read it that will give you the fuel requirement of your car.

If it is in Japanese please use google translate. I have yet to come across any Japanese domestic model that required 95. Most of them run on regular octane which is 89-93 in Japan. This includes Turbos like CHR, Swift Turbo & CRV. (Personal and family experience, we have been running on 92 for the last couple of years with absolutely no issues)

Your Euros and UK imports may need 95 as they are generally design to run on 98 and will run on 95 with little power / economy loss. As mentioned please refer user manual.

Even if you pump 95 your car will not self destruct immediately. For a start it will start knocking if the electronic timing adjustment go out of range. You might get engine indicator / waning messages.  A octane booster should solve this issue. You generally mix one can to a full tank of approximately 50 liters. (again read instructions in the can for the mix ratio)

If your car is running on 92 without knocking or power/ economy loss most likely it is designed to run on Regular/ 92.

There is no correlation on fuel quality  and Octane rating. High Octane fuel has more additives to reduce knocking and hence the higher cost. In SL most of the people has this misconception that higher the price better the quality and hence has been wasting money on 95 for no reason. 

5 hours ago, kush said:

I have yet to come across any Japanese domestic model that required 95

I thikn you meant say most regular/common JDM cars, especially almost all that are popular in SL. The turbo charged Civics in Japan do require Premium (i.e. high octane) fuel;whilst the turbo charged Corollas and C-HRs don't. Then there are cars like the Corolla GT, Glanzas, Evos, etc..with high compression engines tuned for performance that actually require Japanese high Octane or Premium fuel which are 95+ octane.

5 hours ago, kush said:

regular octane which is 89-93 in Japan

Since about 5 years ago or so Regular has been within the 90 to 95 range....no most good/popular brands are closer to 95 whilst the average brands are 92is. You get budget brands (like Costco) which are complete hogwash and makes you wonder if it is even fuel.

I think what a lot of people in SL misunderstand is...the question in SL it is not a matter of the octane rating; it is a matter of whether you are getting what you are paying for (are we sure we are actually getting 92 consistently at stations ?) and the quality of the fuel. 

Edited by iRage

19 hours ago, iRage said:

I thikn you meant say most regular/common JDM cars, especially almost all that are popular in SL. The turbo charged Civics in Japan do require Premium (i.e. high octane) fuel;whilst the turbo charged Corollas and C-HRs don't. Then there are cars like the Corolla GT, Glanzas, Evos, etc..with high compression engines tuned for performance that actually require Japanese high Octane or Premium fuel which are 95+ octane.

Since about 5 years ago or so Regular has been within the 90 to 95 range....no most good/popular brands are closer to 95 whilst the average brands are 92is. You get budget brands (like Costco) which are complete hogwash and makes you wonder if it is even fuel.

I think what a lot of people in SL misunderstand is...the question in SL it is not a matter of the octane rating; it is a matter of whether you are getting what you are paying for (are we sure we are actually getting 92 consistently at stations ?) and the quality of the fuel. 

agreed, Only very few of what you mentioned are on the road hear. I'm sure any one who owns them know a thing or two about the fuel requirements.

For over 30 years of running vehicles in SL I was may be fortunate not to have any issues with fuel quality. Not even a clogged filter.

The only time i recollect of the bad fuel was couple of years back when there was a bad stock where fuel pumps in both stations and vehicles got busted. That had nothing to do with the octane rating but rather foreign substances that should have not been there which could even happen on 95.

Yes there is lot of talk about 95 and 92 having less ratings. I believe it could be the average rating and there is a possibility of  +/- 1-2 difference in a lab test. So far I have not noticed any running issues with either 92 or 95.