• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A First car in 6-7Mil range?

Pasindu111

Question

Hello there good people at AL, I'm a random 18 year old looking to buy my first car (this will the first car of our family also, we have never had cars xd)

Talking about the purpose mostly this will be my weekly driver to the Capital and Galle and also the daily driver in the busiest roads in Colombo.

I prefer the look over fuel economy haha (mostly what teenagers r looking here)

So I got few options that all of them I really like any suggestions from you geeks?

1. Aqua 2013

2. Axio 2008

3. Civic FD4

4. Corolla 141

5. Accord 2008

6. Yaris 2008

7. Swift 2008

What you people think and another thing I really wanna consider is less hassel in the garages, just coz I will be extremely busy with studys and job and all.

I saw an old Mini Cooper (2002) must be one of earliest BMW ones in this range. I really like that look, as I heard from the internet the new BMW generations of mini are not the very best built.

Before this price bubble I was looking for an Audi A1 but they all are now priced in 9mil range

18 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

I've got a question for ya: Which one looks better?

https://perma.cc/9J6D-HTMD

https://perma.cc/2EAJ-UPAK

View the live page if images won't load for you

To be honest Im in love with the FD interior, the lancer interior is Im not a fan of, yet talking of the exterior both are head to head, I would say I prefer the Civic more but it doesnt say I dont like the look of the GLS. It is more of a budget's thing to decide. But talking of maintainance, fuel economy, and hassels in the garage, what actually is better?

The specific Civic you sent, I really dont like the look with the red badge and all, I know the red badge says it is a higher trim level but the chrome badge is more elegant, I hate sports mods specially the spoiler on both.

Ps - I prefer the Civic more but need to be clean without bloody stickers and all, So elegant!

Im actually looking more on this Grey one, got all these pics from Riyasewana, hope it is ok to attach these here.

honda-civic-fd4-2010-79540212712.jpg

honda-civic-fd4-79552017206.jpg

honda-fd-3-2010-2420183912131.jpg

1 minute ago, Pasindu111 said:

To be honest Im in love with the FD interior, the lancer interior is Im not a fan of, yet talking of the exterior both are head to head, I would say I prefer the Civic more but it doesnt say I dont like the look of the GLS. It is more of a budget's thing to decide.

But talking of maintainance, fuel economy, and hassels in the garage, what actually is better?

In that case I'd go for a FD if I were you.

Yes, ease of maintenance  wise the EX would be on top for a newbie car owner because the Authorized agent for Mitsubishi has got an islandwide presence while Honda's authorized agent is limited to Colombo but the amount you save going for a FD3 justifies it I think. 

I've no firsthand experience but I'm pretty sure that the EX can't match the fuel economy of a hybrid. FD4 and EX should be equal when it comes to FE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

WOW 😮 The one you have linked looked way better and tastefully modified when it was with its previous owner :(  

Sad to say the current owner had ruined the looks.. This is one of the best optioned JDM FD3 available in the country with adaptive cruise control and a factory fitted corner pole and front camera system ideal to know the front edges of your car for a newbie like @Pasindu111

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Pasindu111 said:

Lancer EX GLS 2011ish vs Civic FDs?

I know there is a price difference of arround 1.5mil but what are the possibilities if we had both head to head?

Between the two I would choose Lancer simply because I am biased and I would like to see a forum member owning another lancer. However honestly speaking you can not go wrong with either of them as most of the Lancers,FDs are owned and maintained by enthusiasts. It's like choosing Apples or Oranges.

Edited by K.o.N.o.S
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Yes, ease of maintenance  wise the EX would be on top for a newbie car owner because the Authorized agent for Mitsubishi has got an islandwide presence while Honda's authorized agent is limited to Colombo but the amount you save going for a FD3 justifies it I think. 

To be honest yes, that will be a concern too, as specially I'm not from the Capital,

3 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

This is one of the best optioned JDM FD3 available in the country with adaptive cruise control and a factory fitted corner pole and front camera system ideal to know the front edges of your car for a newbie like @Pasindu111

Hope there is a way to get aftermarket camera system that helps me learn driving this massive thing (compared to many small cars)

2 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

However honestly speaking you can not go wrong with either of them as most of the Lancers,FDs are owned and maintained by enthusiasts. It's like choosing Apples or Oranges.

Yes, I think that is why @iRagesuggested these in the first hand, they are good enthusiast vehicles, not like generic Toyotas. Specially when come to these FD's I think they have a much better personality in the design, 

1 hour ago, Pasindu111 said:

To be honest yes, that will be a concern too, as specially I'm not from the Capital,

These are simple cars, I'm pretty sure any decent workshop would be able to maintain 'em as long as you can find spares, fellow FD owners here will help you find any hard-to-find spares you might need, if there are any

Hope there is a way to get aftermarket camera system that helps me learn driving this massive thing (compared to many small cars)

The EX is even bigger than the FD (LxWxH 4570x1760x1480 vs 4545x1750x1430) 

Don't let the size intimidate you, you get used to it with experience that's what she said!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

These are simple cars, I'm pretty sure any decent workshop would be able to maintain 'em as long as you can find spares, fellow FD owners here will help you find any hard-to-find spares you might need, if there are any

The EX is even bigger than the FD (LxWxH 4570x1760x1480 vs 4545x1750x1430) 

Don't let the size intimidate you, you get used to it with experience that's what she said!

HAHA No comments, ;)

Is this a default color? or a repaint?

It's a default colour for international models.. So Stafford imported cars as well as UK FD3 cars came in that colour..

Don't know if its repainted or not though :D 

Here's the JDM FD exterior and interior colour options

image.thumb.png.20f489b33cb4749f5e2ab97c8cbef8bb.png

And here's the UK FD3 exterior colour options.. So from this the colour you like is polished metal metallic or urban titanium metallic it seems ;) 

image.thumb.png.43b16f373475c3e874b8e57bdafd6529.png

Edited by Dee Jay

16 hours ago, Pasindu111 said:

Lancer EX GLS 2011ish vs Civic FDs?

The FD is a much more refined car compared to the Lancer. The Lancer is a good car but no matter what Mitsubishis jut feel very plasticy compared to the Hondas and Nissans. Toyotas of the era feel equally plasticy but atleast that plastic feels thick and heavy.

16 hours ago, Pasindu111 said:

The specific Civic you sent, I really dont like the look with the red badge and all, I know the red badge says it is a higher trim level but the chrome badge is more elegant, I hate sports mods specially the spoiler on both.

You need to look ast the superficial stuff...as long as the stickers and badges and body kits are fitted in a away that can be undone, you hsould go for it if the car is mechanically and structurally sound. Remember....good cars are a limited resource in SL (it is not like new cars are coming in either). So...forget about coor preferences and stickers and shiny bits...first priority is getting a car good clean car. All the others come in last in line (even if this means your FD is luminescent pink).

Also, like others have mentioned...I also thikn the Lancer would be an easier car to maintain and drive compared to the Civic (which depending on the trim level can get complicaed with all the gadgetry). Remember, first time ownership means you want things simple as possible. Having said that, if you do come across the odd ball Toyota or Nissan that is immaculate...don't shy away from it either (yes..there are a few of them out there...).  The thing about Toyotas is that they are not particularly good at anything but does everything marginally well...whilst Hondas and Mitsubishis are really realy good at one or two things that you are willing to look past all the other things it doesn't do very well :D.

Another thing that might be (or atleast was inthe past) important is how long do you plan to keep this car for ? Depending on the age of the car and how long you keep it for, will impact how many times you would need to attend to battery degradation issues when it comes to Hybrids.  

Ahh the Honda FD’s. Nice cars. Feels almost like a Euro. Good to drive, nice to sit in. Red looks best imho. We had the FD1 ages ago. Prices have sky rocketed. We bought for 2.8 mil somewhere around 2013. Stafford was kinda pricey tbh. Interior is ages ahead of the lancer. Plus bit more powahhh than the lancer too.

I found some crustyAF pics 😅

5E1D5DCA-BC74-45A0-838D-4544222BD729.jpeg

3C3F5B17-F69F-4ADB-BDE8-C8D38155F023.jpeg

9C3569A6-6D2A-4AC1-8C89-CB86E0D644FC.jpeg

39430DEF-7D25-4B0A-92A6-C7687EAF9364.jpeg

• Like 1

FD 1 hands down..nice interior ..more than enough power for Sri Lankan roads...get a one with paddle shifters you will not be disappointed...I had a one for 5 years , was very easy to maintain ..maintained throughout the agent and at a reliable Stafford mechanic at Gampaha ... Hondas are love to rev and the FD1 with paddle shifters are peppy to drive..my only concern is you are only 18 ..drive responsibly

On 5/6/2022 at 9:04 AM, Pasindu111 said:

1. Aqua 2013

2. Axio 2008

3. Civic FD4

4. Corolla 141

5. Accord 2008

6. Yaris 2008

7. Swift 2008

What you people think and another thing I really wanna consider is less hassel in the garages

I'm a little late to the party - but just adding that in these import-restricted times you also need to consider the price and ease of getting down new or recon parts - just before you commit on your car do a very simple background check on parts availability nowadays and the prices -  just check with part vendors/agents.  Specially since the cars in your list are 10+ years old.  From that list  the civic is the best overall car.  As some others had suggested Lancer EX would be a good choice - but between the two I'd pick the Civic : feels a bit more modern and refined than the lancer. Good Luck with your hunt! 

On 5/6/2022 at 12:45 PM, fiat fan said:

it’s tiny, so driving is easy,repairs are cheap and can be done asap. Body parts are available in case of an oopsie. Insurance should be cheaper than on a 7 mil car. Resale value is great. 

Not the OP's choice but saw this and totally agree with you. Kei vans while lacking the glitz of other vehicles are not "uncool". Reliable  basic little runabouts - they're as simple as a post 2000's vehicle gets. Got to play around with one a few months back- simple simple machines - parts are aplenty and comparatively very very cheap. Tiny wheezy engines - not good for a long distance run but get's you A-B with minimal hassle. Ridiculously easy to park and maneuver - topple friendly so watch how you drive but yeah you won't get to dangerous speeds :D the engine won't let you.  Basic interiors - 80's style. Interior/upholstery jobs are DIY. Overall absolutely headache free. Not everyone's cup of tea but people with small businesses /self employed people buy them. Due to being fuel efficient will probably hold value during these troubled times. Suzuki Every's  are the most sought after and in-demand followed by the Daihatsu hi-jets. The Nissan Clipper/Minicab is the cheapest and they're basically the same car underneath. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, matroska said:

you won't get to dangerous speeds :D the engine won't let you

SERIOUSLY beg to differ on this ! Was driving on the highway and was driving along with a Lexus IS, Harrier, RAV4, Nissan Serena, plus there were a few other normal cars like Voxy, Alphards; and then me in the GRY...I was doing 137 and I was in the middle of the pack. Then out of the blues....whizzzz....goes a Daihatsu Esse (that thing's speedo is only up to 140). It was going so fast it just passed all of us and dissapeared in to the horizon. WTF ???

In Japan, on the highway, sports cars are usually the slowest..SERIOUSLY ! You see a sports car it will be doing 100-110. So within acceptable speed limits. It is the Aqua, Prius, Note, Crown like cars and then Kei cars that are always speeding (120ish...considering kei cars only go up to 110 - 120 these things are going flat out). This is one reason I will never ever buy a second hand kei car. They get hacked in JPN.

11 hours ago, iRage said:

SERIOUSLY beg to differ on this ! Was driving on the highway and was driving along with a Lexus IS, Harrier, RAV4, Nissan Serena, plus there were a few other normal cars like Voxy, Alphards; and then me in the GRY...I was doing 137 and I was in the middle of the pack. Then out of the blues....whizzzz....goes a Daihatsu Esse (that thing's speedo is only up to 140). It was going so fast it just passed all of us and dissapeared in to the horizon. WTF ???

In Japan, on the highway, sports cars are usually the slowest..SERIOUSLY ! You see a sports car it will be doing 100-110. So within acceptable speed limits. It is the Aqua, Prius, Note, Crown like cars and then Kei cars that are always speeding (120ish...considering kei cars only go up to 110 - 120 these things are going flat out). This is one reason I will never ever buy a second hand kei car. They get hacked in JPN.

maybe the esse was a sleeper? :D 

while we're on the subject turbo charged kei-trucks are next-level cool. I think there are a few in SL. 

24 minutes ago, matroska said:

maybe the esse was a sleeper? :D 

while we're on the subject turbo charged kei-trucks are next-level cool. I think there are a few in SL. 

If you ever get the chance to....drive a 2nd gen Acty (a truck or a van). Mid engined, turbo charged bulndle of goodness ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:06 AM, iRage said:

If you ever get the chance to....drive a 2nd gen Acty (a truck or a van). Mid engined, turbo charged bulndle of goodness ❤️ 

@iRage you mean this one right? Used to be a fairly common sight on our roads - a bit rare to see nowadays. 

Used 1994 HONDA ACTY VAN/V-HH3 for Sale BG676489 - BE FORWARD

6 hours ago, matroska said:

@iRage you mean this one right? Used to be a fairly common sight on our roads - a bit rare to see nowadays. 

Used 1994 HONDA ACTY VAN/V-HH3 for Sale BG676489 - BE FORWARD

Yupp...I said that gen because that was the most common in SL....all the Actys were mid engined except for the badge enginnered ones that popped up every now and then.