• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Evo Vs Sti

fuzzo

evo or sti  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose

• EVO
    • STi

you're talking about the 2010 model of the X?

the 08 version had a disadvantage with the additional weight and i hope they have fixed that on the newer model!

It's kinda crazy that the 9GT was a more potent machine than the X variants though the X had better electronics

Ignorance is bliss they say! lolz. I wasn't even aware that there was a 2008 version; I always thought the EVO X was released in 2009! Okay, so in response: My views were based on car reviews by motor mag's as I haven't had the pleasure of driving either example. And every major reviewer I came across rates the EVO X higher than the STI.

A sampling is as below:

3. Edmunds

Ignorance is bliss they say! lolz. I wasn't even aware that there was a 2008 version; I always thought the EVO X was released in 2009! Okay, so in response: My views were based on car reviews by motor mag's as I haven't had the pleasure of driving either example. And every major reviewer I came across rates the EVO X higher than the STI.

A sampling is as below:

3. Edmunds

Don't trust em all mate. Reviews can be the way we see em too. Some say Evo's better, some say STi's better. Personal choice at the end of the day. :)

Don't trust em all mate. Reviews can be the way we see em too. Some say Evo's better, some say STi's better. Personal choice at the end of the day. :)

1. The video you posted is a race, not a review and that really doesn't prove anything. If that was the case then we'd be expecting Darin to win every single race in his STI or DD to win everything in his EVO X

2. You're right at the end of the day the performance of the two cars seems to be close enough for it to be decided qualitatively; which is why its beneficial to refer to a sampling of historically trustworthy, expert sources which in this case that happens to be major (widely accepted) car reviewers/motor magazines. The result surprised me as well, but like it or not, every single major reviewer of cars rates the current EVO X higher than the current STI.

Edited by Kavvz

IMO, the endgame is clearly shown on the WRC circuit, where all their origins and success came from- both cars are no longer competitive compared to the the leads.

Speaking for the STi camp, i know there's a lot of 'wishlisting' one could have the lightness of the GC chassis (STi 1-6) with the technology that was pumped in the last GD (STi 9)....although the GD chassis was said to be monumentally stiffer and therefore better than the GC- but still had added weight.

No one really has a nice thing to say about the current GR chassis...but i think that's also because no one really likes the look of it!

As for the Evo- better leave it to those who live and breath Evos to speak to the generation gap :)

1. The video you posted is a race, not a review and that really doesn't prove anything. If that was the case then we'd be expecting Darin to win every single race in his STI or DD to win everything in his EVO X

True, but still, it does show the performance of the 2 cars in the hands of the Japs. And who better to drive them than the people who made them. And what's more all the reviews were made from different version's of the STi, (topgear, fifthgear) had the UK spec and Edmunds had the US spec. Both are different to the japanese spec.. its been the case with the STi's for ages.And you really can't compare Darin's STi and DD's evo X cause none of them are in standard form. I posted that race cause I'm pretty sure it's a standard car race and this thread was about which was better standard. But anyway as I said and you agreed with me, it's personal preference at the end of the day. :) cheers

IMO, the endgame is clearly shown on the WRC circuit, where all their origins and success came from- both cars are no longer competitive compared to the the leads.

Speaking for the STi camp, i know there's a lot of 'wishlisting' one could have the lightness of the GC chassis (STi 1-6) with the technology that was pumped in the last GD (STi 9)....although the GD chassis was said to be monumentally stiffer and therefore better than the GC- but still had added weight.

No one really has a nice thing to say about the current GR chassis...but i think that's also because no one really likes the look of it!

As for the Evo- better leave it to those who live and breath Evos to speak to the generation gap :)

There is a famous saying among Evo fraternity "Those who own Evos can't explain.... Those who don't, won't understand" :D

Anyhoo Kavvz, I didn't watch the clip you sent, but Top Gear tends to review the FQ versions, not the standard cars when it comes to the Evos. I remember JC reviewing an FQ, then spoke of two other FQ versions in the wrap up. So its not usually level with them.

Edit: looks like the comments on that might point to me being right. Some guys asking why US doesn't get the 360hp version, thats the FQ360 not the standard Evo-X.

Edited by Pericles

Guess i can eat my words now.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/01/new-yor...g-needs-gold-w/

not sure about the looks...certain angles, it looks right...but at least 'that wing' is back!

...and then some cracker marketing guy in japan gives it a really dumb name.

http://www.subaru.jp/impreza/anesis/index.html

Edited by gunat

The Evo IX and X and the new-shape STI are still the stars of the P-WRC championship.

Neither manufacturer runs a works WRC-class team so it's difficult to say that "both cars are no longer competitive compared to the the leads". The WRC-spec cars are anyway so removed from their production counterparts that even the performance of the last of the Impreza and Lancer WRCs against the Focus WRC and the Xsara/C4 WRC are in no way an indication of their performance as road-based sedans. If at all, the STI and the Evo should only be compared against each other, or other road-going cars.

Edited by KLM

Guess i can eat my words now.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/01/new-yor...g-needs-gold-w/

not sure about the looks...certain angles, it looks right...but at least 'that wing' is back!

...and then some cracker marketing guy in japan gives it a really dumb name.

http://www.subaru.jp/impreza/anesis/index.html

glad the sedan is back ,but between the hatch n this, thinking the hatch looks better :(

kinda Suzuku SX4-ish & Kia Cerato like from the rear imo

• 2 months later...
glad the sedan is back ,but between the hatch n this, thinking the hatch looks better :(

kinda Suzuku SX4-ish & Kia Cerato like from the rear imo

lol !! Its weird but I have to agree. I didn't comment earlier because when the hatch came out I was one of its most vocal antagonists.....But honestly IMHO the hatch looks a lot better than the sedan.

Edited by Kavvz

• 3 years later...

Reviving a old thread to think out loud something that came to my mind this morning..

Evos and STi have been going head to head for quite a while with each trying to outperform the rival in every new generation. And just browsing through wiki, I noticed that there was a new model coming out every 2 years. But since 2007, there hasn't really been any evolution (pun intended) in these cars. Not in production, no news even on the conceptual level.

Have I been living under a rock and hence oblivious to what's new, or is it really the case?

Hi Watchman. There are several reasons. These cars have hardly made any actual money for the two companies. Of course it lifted their profiles sky high, but the volume selling models of both Subaru and Mitsu have been too ordinary to sell well enough despite the spill-over effect. Subaru was on the verge of collapse and thanks to a rescue from Toyota they have got a new lease of life. The BRZ is rocking in the US and Subaru is wondering which direction to take as a company. Both they and Mitsu are far too small to survive independently long term.

Mitsu is in bigger trouble, sales-wise and financially. Their US sales have plummeted to insignificant levels and their range is ancient. They will require a strategic alliance at least if not a full take over by a larger company. The Japanese govt. may intervene but The Chinese must be circling like hawks!

The other problem with these cars are the ever toughening emissions laws. There has to be new tech to develop new engines to meet these requirements. They just don't have the money to develop. In EU for example the emissions are tied to tax. So keeping a polluting car on the road is very expensive for the owner. So basically they have been rendered dinosaurs. They will have to re-invent the two icons but that means loads of money. I can see a AWD STi Subaru because of Toyota and their recent success. But Mitsu is in a bit of a sad situ.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that LR is ceasing the Defender model in 2014 due to tightening emissions laws in the EU. Poor, poor politicians and their 'motorcades'! Maybe they can use those Mahindra stuff instead? :speechless-smiley-004:

Yes news was in news.bb.co.uk it said they had close shutdown the operations due to strict emissions control in EU. However Range rover and Discovery will continue. If I'm not mistaken AL forum discussed that production might shift to India do meet up with high demand after closing EU facilities.

OT Again, the Defender replacement is not just due to emissions standards, but due to increasing pedestrian safety requirements as well. LR had to pull it off the US market in 1998. But why the heck they still can’t adopt the car to meet standards like what Mercedes did with the G-Wagon, I don’t know.

I don’t think LR announced that the DC100 concept will certainly be the Defender replacement. Rumor has it that there are 5 protorypes on the go. So the exact form of the new model (if there ever will be one) is still mainly unknown.

OT Again, the Defender replacement is not just due to emissions standards, but due to increasing pedestrian safety requirements as well. LR had to pull it off the US market in 1998. But why the heck they still can’t adopt the car to meet standards like what Mercedes did with the G-Wagon, I don’t know.

Daimler-Benz is like a whale shark and JLR is like a Saalaya in terms of size. So JLR has to pick and choose their fights unlike the fat German boys. That said I believe they can move the entire plant (if financially feasible) to India and continue to supply markets that do not require them to adhrere to strict pedestrian safety regulations.

• Like 1

Daimler-Benz is like a whale shark and JLR is like a Saalaya in terms of size. So JLR has to pick and choose their fights unlike the fat German boys. That said I believe they can move the entire plant (if financially feasible) to India and continue to supply markets that do not require them to adhrere to strict pedestrian safety regulations.

Also have you checked the price of the G wagon recently. You're looking at S Class prices in Europe and more expensive than a base RR. Well Tata might think about shifting the plant but then again they will have the problem of local competition, lets hope they don't make a Tata Defender.

Edited by Gummybr
  • Like 1

Since the topic popped up, thought of sharing about this new limited edition Evo X, the 311 RS Evo X. Done by Ryan Gates, kinda like the Evo 6.5 Tommi Makinen edition but this, limited only to 11 units!! aaand she's spitting out 420 horses, perfect street and track car ;)

311rs_01_gallery_zpsd2db325d.jpg

dayum!!!!!

311rs_03_gallery_zps815a09e9.jpg

The debut

Edited by CyRaX
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...