• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ford Sierra

Sri-Lak

Hi all,

I have a first generation Ford Sierra (1983-1986) back at home in Sri Lanka.

It was in bad condition when I bought it. On top of it, previous owner had installed parts from other models (for lack availability of original parts for this model I guess). For example coralla bumpers, side mirrors etc... :rolleyes:

I was thinking of just selling it 'as is' once I am back at home.

But it is not hard to find parts for it here where I am currenlty living.

What do you guys think, should I restore it to original condition or just get rid of it?

By the way how many more Sierra's are available in SL?

This is the model I have....

fordsierraphotolarge.th.jpg

Thanks in advance.

turn it into a sierra cosworth mate! and i promise i'll keep a pic of you on my wall and worship it everyday :D

Hey JadeyBlitzen,

Thanks for the idea.

But I am not much of a car freak and have no idea which exact parts to bring down for the conversion.

I don't want to leave anything out which is necessary!

Engine, Transmission(Gearbox and differential) for sure. Also break system? and what else?

(And take into account , here vehicles are left-hand driven if that matters.)

Thanks again

rather than trying to find all the parts seperately its better to buy a whole car and break it down in some shed and ship them to sl. either you could bring down everything except the body. or make a list of things the car needs right now and just ship those bits.

Hey JadeyBlitzen,

Thanks for the idea.

But I am not much of a car freak and have no idea which exact parts to bring down for the conversion.

I don't want to leave anything out which is necessary!

Engine, Transmission(Gearbox and differential) for sure. Also break system? and what else?

(And take into account , here vehicles are left-hand driven if that matters.)

Thanks again

Hay

I’m guessing U are in ME or USA ?????

Well there’s loads of parts available in the UK – but not too sure how u can get them down. My farther did a Escot with and most of the parts were brought down from UK. The model is not seen here in SL roads – Not at all by me anyway

Good if you can restore it - good if you can get the whole or the major parts down like Jady said

Hi there,

I am living in Germany

So I have 2 options.

1. Buy a whole car. In this case I'd have to look for a Cosworth of the same generation(83-86). I guess then parts should be interchangeble with normal Sierra of the same generation.

But they are hard to come by. Most of those available belong to the next generation(86-92).

And I am no car expert so have to be careful that I buy one with everything in order. And naturally all parts can't be in the same good condition in a used car!.

No point in bringing down one and again in a few days bringing down spare parts for the same!

2. Buy only specific parts. This way I am safe. I can buy tested parts. But the total cost may be higher.

I have actually decided on a combination of both options.

1. Buy mechanical parts(worn-out parts) from a certified place with warranty, like engine, transmission etc

2. Buy a whole car of normal Sierra(NOT Cosworth) for any body parts like bumpers, interior , any small missing parts, etc.... cheaper and easier than buying individual parts here.

Anyway I have to study any differences between normal Sierra and and Cosworth other than for the engine and transmission.

Guess Cosworth has better suspension for the heavier engine?

Still in the preliminary stage of this idea of conversion after JadeyBlitzen mentioned it!.

As for importing to Sri Lanka do I need an engine permit?

By the way I know (rather I knew 3 years ago) of one Sierra in Anuradhapura. But never saw one in Colombo. Does anybody know of any other Sierra in the country?

Thanks everybody for everything!

Most of the Sierras are now has become different sort of creatures, as you said with engines of different models, bumpers and some body parts from different models including lights and with 64 plates and 325 plates. I've once phoned to a one in classifieds and was in Matale with 2C engine

i don't know how partical it would be to pull of a RS Cosworth conversion , but props to you if you can make it happen! :) would be VERY interesting given those things put out about 200 BHP back in its day! :o

there are blokes who get parts for classics - so one of them might be able to get you everything you need in the form of a whole car shipped down as parts and make life a lot easier for you

While Im all for the idea of resurrecting a sierra if the logistics can be worked out (it IS quite an interesting thing), an RS cosworth conversion is probably something that shouldnt be contemplated on this particular car. The main reason for this is that unlike say, the subaru impreza or mitsubishi evolution, their are very substantial differences between a stock sierra and the RS cosworth, probably the most important one being the fact that the RS was based on a specially strengthened and modified Two door Sierra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sierra_RS_Cosworth

as you can see,

That generation of Cosworth was exclusively two door so i doubt there will be a straightforward way to do a "conversion", short of maybe picking and mixing parts from the later generation which DID come as a four door....

IMO you should simply go ahead with with your restoration idea by finding a complete car and bringing it down in bits... If you can find one which has the V6 engine, you'll have a car that's plenty rapid enough for SL conditions, while still being interesting and different...

Anyway, best of luck mate, and let us know how it goes.

Hi Devinda_Z

Yes before proceeding with this I have to find out how practical it is.

I have seen normal Sierra to Cosworth conversions but not sure if normal one has the same body structure as Cosworth to support high power of Cosworth.

I have at the moment installed a 2l Capri Engine with webber Dual carb . Other than the engine block everything was installed new , e.g cylinders, pistons, valves etc...

And it was done and tuned by a person who is into Ford racing and Go kart racing in SL.

That altogether cost me almost the same that would cost me for Cosworth conversion!

So I'd rather have a converted Sierra Cosworth than the current 'hybrid' of different species!!!.

Do you happen to know those contacts?

If you do please pm me.

Thanks

i don't know how partical it would be to pull of a RS Cosworth conversion , but props to you if you can make it happen! :) would be VERY interesting given those things put out about 200 BHP back in its day! :o

there are blokes who get parts for classics - so one of them might be able to get you everything you need in the form of a whole car shipped down as parts and make life a lot easier for you

Hey Supra_Natural,

You had replied while I was writing.

So it is clear that this is not a straightforward conversion.

Have to investigate more......

Thanks again for the inputs :)

While Im all for the idea of resurrecting a sierra if the logistics can be worked out (it IS quite an interesting thing), an RS cosworth conversion is probably something that shouldnt be contemplated on this particular car. The main reason for this is that unlike say, the subaru impreza or mitsubishi evolution, their are very substantial differences between a stock sierra and the RS cosworth, probably the most important one being the fact that the RS was based on a specially strengthened and modified Two door Sierra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sierra_RS_Cosworth

as you can see,

That generation of Cosworth was exclusively two door so i doubt there will be a straightforward way to do a "conversion", short of maybe picking and mixing parts from the later generation which DID come as a four door....

IMO you should simply go ahead with with your restoration idea by finding a complete car and bringing it down in bits... If you can find one which has the V6 engine, you'll have a car that's plenty rapid enough for SL conditions, while still being interesting and different...

Anyway, best of luck mate, and let us know how it goes.

Sri-Lak,

Here's my 2 cents worth, Just get rid of the thing :violent-smiley-030: . It's not a classic, neither is it ever going to be. If it was in poor shape when you first got it and has Corolla bits on, it's going to be a costly nightmare for you to locate, purchase and ship stuff here. Then there's the question of putting it all together. At the end of the day you would have spent a shed load of money on an ordinary car.

The Cosworth is quite a specialized performance machine. It will be even a bigger task to convert it.

If you are crazy over a Sierra then that's fine, if not just sell it.

while i hate to dicourage a car restoration...i'm afraid i'll have to side with GTAm on this one,i think it's not worth all the trouble...unless you have a sentimental value ofcourse.

shipping a car as parts is ok BUT it's not as easy as it may sound...you have to sort out a lot of issues and it's best if you get a pro parts importer's help for the job...personally i would not reccomend this to a newby and most of all for the said car...i shall say no more,best of luck!

Edited by HelRazor

Hi Devinda_Z

Yes before proceeding with this I have to find out how practical it is.

I have seen normal Sierra to Cosworth conversions but not sure if normal one has the same body structure as Cosworth to support high power of Cosworth.

I have at the moment installed a 2l Capri Engine with webber Dual carb . Other than the engine block everything was installed new , e.g cylinders, pistons, valves etc...

And it was done and tuned by a person who is into Ford racing and Go kart racing in SL.

That altogether cost me almost the same that would cost me for Cosworth conversion!

So I'd rather have a converted Sierra Cosworth than the current 'hybrid' of different species!!!.

Do you happen to know those contacts?

If you do please pm me.

Thanks

that Capri motor isn't a 2L V4 by any chance is it?? :o

very rare these days - that motor alone...

that Capri motor isn't a 2L V4 by any chance is it?? :o

very rare these days - that motor alone...

It is 4 cyllinder. Still it is powerful enough with its webber dual carb.

Old engine had some problems and I was searching for a compatible and more powerful one. So he built this motor and installed.

Regarding Cosworth conversion I have to do more research as to whether it is really feasible and practical on my particular model.

If not, I will just bring down Sierra body parts and fix. I just can't live with 'non-originality' of this machine... :rolleyes:

Thanks