• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Post Whoring - Part 2

MADZ

JDM Evo VIII has a different bumper compared to the US variant? I didnt realize all this time :o

0504077A30140215W00201.jpg

mitsubishi_evo_8_mr_2005-2.jpg

Its something to do with safety regulations. You'll notice there's a number of vehicles which have larger bumpers in the US than anywhere else. Same goes for headlights. US variants had double lenses while other had single lenses.

I'd love to know the details/logic of this too if anyone knows it.

Its something to do with safety regulations. You'll notice there's a number of vehicles which have larger bumpers in the US than anywhere else. Same goes for headlights. US variants had double lenses while other had single lenses.

also noticed orange parklights for us vehicles

The US has long standing regulations regarding bumpers that they should be able to withstand a 5MPH impact without transferring damage to the vehicle body. These came into being in the 70s and back then the only way manufacturers could comply was by bolting massive slabs of rubber and metal to the cars, something that was especially noticeable in Euro cars of the time where US versions had massive rubber bumpers and the euro versions didn't. Same went for a lot of Japanese manufactuerers of the time. As time went on material technology progressed and the designers also managed to integrate the bumpers much better to the overall styling. I'm not 100% sure whether manufacturers still have to adhere to a separate bumper law in the US but it may be the case..

As for the double headlights vs the single lenses thing it was again due to US regulations where single unit sealed beam lights that contained both main and high beam were not legalized until a long time after they became commonplace in Europe. So you had lots of euro cars which had lovely lights in their home market (Eg Citroen SM, various Mercs) being saddled with poorly integrated twin lights for the US market. The US legislators only finally came around to the single unit sealed beams in the mid 80s I believe.

uhhmm.. Well the air that's blown out doesnt come out of think air (pun intended :D).. These should be the vents to take in the cabin air to chill and blow back into the cabin.

Bit of a surprising question i must say.

One person metioned theese are ionizers and another mentioned they take in the heat from the cabin :sad-smiley-066:

One person metioned theese are ionizers and another mentioned they take in the heat from the cabin :sad-smiley-066:

Watchman is right..that is an air intake for the air con. Bought a filter/net set for a friend of mine for that. The part number for a KDH211 was 63650-26010-B0 <had that on email ;) >.

Edited by iRage

Watchman is right..that is an air intake for the air con. Bought a filter/net set for a friend of mine for that. The part number for a KDH211 was 63650-26010-B0 <had that on email ;) >.

So its used for reciculating air, is it?

in that case where are these vents found in a single A/C system? :speechless-smiley-019:

Plus I have seen these only in the Hiace series and Caravan series dual a/c units

So its used for reciculating air, is it?

in that case where are these vents found in a single A/C system? :speechless-smiley-019:

Plus I have seen these only in the Hiace series and Caravan series dual a/c units

under the passenger seat

under the passenger seat

I presume you mean FRONT passenger? Yeah i have seen some cars that have a flat duct on the floorboard for this, but I think it's most commonly under the dash on the passenger side. You would have noticed it because it has a filter that requires cleaning every now and again, hence a easily accessible airbox in plain view.

Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape

(got it from the net)

On the Road:

• Be gentle to your car when it's cold. Maintain a low rpm level (below 2,000) until the engine has reached operating temperature. This warm-up period isn’t just good for the engine & turbo-charger; gradual warm-up is also beneficial to other components (e.g. transmission, brakes, tyres etc.). If you drive a turbo-charged car (pretty much any diesel today),

• Develop a smooth driving style and don't be hard on the car. Your steering, accelerator, clutch, brake & gear inputs should be polished. In traffic, avoid tail-gating the car in front. Maintaining a healthy gap will allow your braking & deceleration to be a lot smoother. And yes, contrary to popular perception, you can indeed maintain a smooth driving style even when driving fast. On the other hand, if you drive in a rough manner, your car's mechanical bits will suffer additional stress and begin to wear prematurely. A well-driven 100,000 kms car will drive better than an abused 50,000 kms example.

• Take it easy and go slow on rough roads. It doesn't matter if everyone else is just flying through potholes. Your car takes a massive beating on broken tarmac. The suspension wears out faster and rattles will seep into your cabin too.

• Respect your car. Know when to high-revv and know when to take it easy. At the end of the day, we're car enthusiasts who enjoy our redlining experiences. You should redline only when the conditions permit it. The ideal time to stretch her legs is on smooth roads with scarce traffic. Preserve your car by saving the best for favorable conditions. It's just more fun that way.

• Don’t lug the engine, don’t be lazy; shift down if your rpm is too low for the current speed. As an example, you'd move down to 1st gear if your car struggles to cross the speed breaker in 2nd. And yes, please don't ride or slip the clutch.

• Slow down on speed breakers. They are there for a purpose. Cross speed breakers in as gentle a manner as you possibly can.

• If you encounter a mechanical problem that could further damage your car, don’t just drive on. Spend some time trying to diagnose the problem

Minimising Abuse:

• If your destination entails very poor roads or horrible parking conditions, cab it up!

• Don’t allow bad drivers behind the wheel of your car. Be firm and polite when saying no, or just insist that you'd hate to be a passenger in your own car. Also, don’t lend your car out too often. No one cares about your car as much as you do.

• Don’t overload your car with excessive passengers or cargo. Not only does overloading result in undue stress on vital components, it is also extremely dangerous.

• Don’t make your car do anything it’s not meant to. Forget about your offroading aspirations in a FWD sedan.

• If you employ a chauffeur, restrict him to driving one car (and not all). Few chauffeurs ever treat cars well and most have rough driving styles. Their sleeping & eating in the car doesn't do the cabin any good either.

At the Petrol Pump:

• Make it a habit to fill your tank up as soon as it reaches the ¼ level. Don’t wait for the reserve mark or low fuel warning indicator. Your fuel pump can get fatally damaged in a dry tank.

• Monitor your fuel economy. There’s no indicator of a car’s well-being as its fuel economy. If the FE nosedives, that’s your first clue to something going wrong.
Keeping her Mechanically Tight:
• Fix mechanical issues as soon as they crop up. Don't procrastinate. These problems are likely to intensify and could severely affect other mechanical parts or (potentially) your safety too. For instance, if there is excessive noise from the front suspension, get it checked before the ball joints give way and lead to loss of car control. Don't drive around with the check engine light on. Repair that faulty cooling fan immediately. A car is built of several wear & tear components that will need replacement at some point in time. The longer you delay the replacement of these parts, the more permanent damage you do to other parts in the system. Keeping your car mechanically perfect will give you a lot of satisfaction.

• When something needs to be replaced, it just needs to be replaced. Don't cheapen out of replacements that are absolutely critical.

• Choose the right garage or service station.

Schedule, Parts & Labour:

Only use original parts, or parts with equivalent quality from reputable manufacturers. Avoid cheaper ripoffs at any and all costs.

• The single most important thing you can do for your car’s health is change the engine oil on time. Don’t ever overshoot manufacturer-recommended oil change intervals

• Clean / replace your air-filter at manufacturer-recommended intervals (dirt is bad for your engine & turbo). Ditto for all fluids (brake, transmission, radiator etc.). Importantly, respect the indicated min / max levels. Filling excessive oil can at times be as damaging as too little oil.

• Service / top up your battery and clean its terminals (white acidic build up) at least once a year. This is an area often ignored by authorised service stations.

• Get your wheels (including spare) balanced, aligned & rotated periodically.

• Use valve caps on all tyres. No, they aren't just for show. Valve caps keep dust and dirt out of the valve area and help in preventing slow leaks.

• Change your windshield wipers every year (recommended) or two (maximum). They harden with time and from being exposed to the sun.

• If you choose to modify, stick to proven, reliable & high quality parts and labour. There is a saying in the modifications world - "Cheap, Fast & Reliable. Pick any two."

• If you do get after-market electrical work done (e.g. headlamp or ICE upgrade), stick to a top electrical shop. Pay the premium and do NOT compromise on the quality of install. Ensure that the correctly rated fuses are used and properly placed in the circuit.

Keeping her Shiny & Clean:

• Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Keep your car spic & span. Depending on your usage, you should wash your car on a daily / weekly / bi-weekly basis.

• A dirty interior says a lot about the car owner. Plus, it takes the fun of driving away. Keep your interiors absolutely tidy and have them detailed along with the exterior. Using a vacuum cleaner comes highly recommended. Avoid keeping excessive items that clutter the inside of your car. Neatly place in the glovebox or storage bins whatever items you need to have in the car.

• Don’t treat your trunk like an attic.

• After every driving holiday, treat your car to a thorough exterior, interior & underbody wash at the local petrol pump.

• Get small to medium dents repaired at least once a year. This also helps to avoid rust formation. On a related note, eliminate any rust spots while they are still small. Stick to a topnotch body shop for all denting & painting requirements; ill-fitted body panels & parts lead to rattles and look ugly.

• At the time of repainting, it's advisable to choose the same colour. Changing the exterior shade requires a complete strip down. Factory fit is indeed factory fit. Thus, an overcoat is a far more suitable option.

Parking:

• Choose a safe parking spot. Park under the shade as direct sunlight is harmful to paint, plastics and leather. If the area where you park is too messy, get a car cover. It might seem like a headache at first, but soon becomes a way of life. If you have a closed parking spot, consider yourself lucky.

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 1

I presume you mean FRONT passenger? Yeah i have seen some cars that have a flat duct on the floorboard for this, but I think it's most commonly under the dash on the passenger side. You would have noticed it because it has a filter that requires cleaning every now and again, hence a easily accessible airbox in plain view.

Yeap, under the front passenger dashboard, to be precise under the glove box.

• Don’t allow bad drivers behind the wheel of your car. Be firm and polite when saying no, or just insist that you'd hate to be a passenger in your own car. Also, don’t lend your car out too often. No one cares about your car as much as you do.

Reminds me of an advice my friend's father used to give him. "Son, there are three things in this world you should not lend or swap. One is your fountain pen, the second is your wife and the third is your car".

Reminds me of an advice my friend's father used to give him. "Son, there are three things in this world you should not lend or swap. One is your fountain pen, the second is your wife and the third is your car".

I have certain cousins who always try rev up the engine pointlessly, they always try to thrash the vehicle to the maximum. I don't let them drive my vehicles :sad-smiley-066:

And your laptop with an uncleard internet browser history :P

All Hail to Incognito Browsing in Chrome :3

They used to have an option clear browsing history on exit. I always had this on until the B'stards removed the option and introduced this incognito option instead...

Edited by The Don

Our friends dad gave us some advice too. "Putha, it doesn't matter if a girl is black or white. Once you switch off the lights putha, a girl is a girl putha."

No lie, real story. Campus time.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="The Don" data-cid="270524" data-time="1421082847"><p>

<br />

They used to have an option clear browsing history on exist. I always had this on until the B'stards removed the option and introduced this incognito option instead...</p></blockquote>

:D Oh the frustration.

IE still has "Clear history on exit" although Incognito has become more "secure" over the years.

Initially incognito had some issues where it still recorded the site URLs when frequently visited in incognito mode. I believe it has been fixed now.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="The Don" data-cid="270524" data-time="1421082847"><p>

<br />

They used to have an option clear browsing history on exist. I always had this on until the B'stards removed the option and introduced this incognito option instead...</p></blockquote>

:D Oh the frustration.

IE still has "Clear history on exit" although Incognito has become more "secure" over the years.

Initially incognito had some issues where it still recorded the site URLs when frequently visited in incognito mode. I believe it has been fixed now.

I noticed some time ago that bookmarked URLs still show in normal chrome, even though they were visited in incognito. Do you know if this was sorted out too?

Our friends dad gave us some advice too. "Putha, it doesn't matter if a girl is black or white. Once you switch off the lights putha, a girl is a girl putha."

No lie, real story. Campus time.

How about "darker the berry sweeter the juice" - a line frequently used by my friends from more fair skinned Burgher community whenever they found one of them courting a dark skinned girl!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Watchman" data-cid="270560" data-time="1421205136"><p>

<br />

I noticed some time ago that bookmarked URLs still show in normal chrome, even though they were visited in incognito. Do you know if this was sorted out too? </p></blockquote>

I think that is the intended behaviour Watchman. Bookmarks are shared across the browser regardless of whether browsed in normal mode or incognito. So the practice should be to never bookmark a site that is to be accessed purely in incognito mode.

I noticed some time ago that bookmarked URLs still show in normal chrome, even though they were visited in incognito. Do you know if this was sorted out too?

Yup, intended as Davy said. It warns you that this is the case.

• MADZ locked this topic