• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel Economy Of My Toyota Belta

codexdj

Actually the ideal speed for Allion 240 is 37km/h on highways and 81km/h in traffic. WIth my experiments I got 23.634km/l and 22.163km/l respectively

This values are correct if the air temperature is around 25 C- 30 C, so this is not valid for a area like Nuwaraeliya.

Edited by MV-5

so based on that logic, it takes you 5.88 liters to go to galle from colombo, if going at 100kmph, and 4.87 liters if at 85kmph.

that's 1001 cc of petrol. for Rs. 170/-

moreover, you'd go slow on the expressway, get in other people's way, to save Rs. 170 every time you do a 100km.

now you know why the term "thel hinganna" was coined in the first place.

in comparison, my car does 13kmpl on the E01. that's 7.69 liters (my god, no?) which is 2.82 liters more than yours per 100km

my car cost me 1.4 million. yours cost you 5.2 million? so, in essencse, that's 3,800,000 rupees to save 3 liters of fuel per 100km on expressways.

so let's assume for the sake of argument, that we run everyday to galle and back, that's 200km round trip. every single day.

per trip, that's i spend 964.40 rupees more than you on that. per month, that's 28,933.20. 347,198.40 per year. i bet you're nodding your head now going "eika thamai mama kiwwe"

bear with me a little longer. like i said, 3,800,000 rupees you've spent extra. so, that means 10.94 years it would take you to recover that extra money yuo've spent, to save fuel.

this is without adjusting for inflation, granted. but i think you get the drift.

so let's adjust for inflation.

http://www.ceypetco.gov.lk/History.htm

according to that, petrol 95 octane went up from Rs. 67/- to Rs. 170/- in the last ten years. taking that as a rough guide (im' not good at maths) let's say Rs. 10/- per year.

so, let's say petrol kept increasing at Rs. 10 per year. here's what it would cost me to to pump 2,030.40 extra liters for our annual excursion:

first year 345,168 @ 170/l
second year: 365,472 @180/l
third year: 385,776 @ 190/l etc etc
fourth: 406,080
fifth: 426,384
sixth: 446,688
seventh: 466,992
eighth: 487,296
ninth: 507,600.
so by nine years i've pumped a total of: 3,837,456.
driving every DAY, to and from galle on the E01. for 9 years.
so, like VVTi said, just enjoy the drive (if that's possible without getting a haemorrhoid every time the econo meter drops) and forget about the figures man. life is too short anyways.

I like the way you think...

hmm... nextime Im going to buy a old old car for around 300k.

Thanks bro for operning my eyes!!

I think it is perfectly acceptable to ask fuel consumption figures of a family sedan,no matter how much it cost.They are Beltas and Allions and not Supras.Main objective is to go from A to B as cheaply as possible...

I have a few cars with fuel cons. figures that'd make the non-thel higganas commenting here run for their mommies...but for daily commute I drive Mitsubishi and Toyota diesels.I calculate their fuel cost to the penny and I'd be very concerned if the figures dropped.

Life is short,yes...But everybody's idea of living life is not burning as much fuel as possible.

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 4

I think it is perfectly acceptable to ask fuel consumption figures of a family sedan,no matter how much it cost.They are Beltas and Allions and not Supras.Main objective is to go from A to B as cheaply as possible...

I have a few cars with fuel cons. figures that'd make the non-thel higganas commenting here run for their mommies...but for daily commute I drive Mitsubishi and Toyota diesels.I calculate their fuel cost to the penny and I'd be very concerned if the figures dropped.

Life is short,yes...But everybody's idea of living life is not burning as much fuel as possible.

Agreed. But when your car is already doing 15+kmpl... why fret over anything that is +/- 3 kmpl? Watching the econometer while doing 100KMph on the E01 with D*MO Battas running all over the place?

That's anal. That's 'recycle condoms' territory... :)

Fuel consumption figures do not stay constant. Tyre pressure, road condition, atmospheric conditions, all must factor in. Factory figures are based on ideal situations.

All of us have cars that are A to B. What other uses are there anyway? But while getting to B to A while worried every meter of te way about the fuel you are burning, what is the point? Don't buy a car? Ride a bike.

I am so annoyed now, I am gonna go weld something to a wall. :)

• Like 3

I have to agree with VVTi on this one. It's perfectly alright to keep an eye on fuel consumption, but micromanaging things and trying to control your speed like this to achieve optimal fuel efficiency is just plain stupid IMHO. The furthest to go is manage a fuel log I guess and just drive as you normally would. If the averages start crawling down, then see what actions should be taken. More like being pre-emptive over preventive. Of course this doesn't mean that you can drive like a maniac or skip routine services and expect the figures to be okay.

Seriously, how does one drive with a clear head while every decision made on the road is cross-checked in their heads with fuel efficiency figures?

Edited by Davy
  • Like 2

Agreed. But when your car is already doing 15+kmpl... why fret over anything that is +/- 3 kmpl? Watching the econometer while doing 100KMph on the E01 with D*MO Battas running all over the place?

That's anal. That's 'recycle condoms' territory... :)

Fuel consumption figures do not stay constant. Tyre pressure, road condition, atmospheric conditions, all must factor in. Factory figures are based on ideal situations.

All of us have cars that are A to B. What other uses are there anyway? But while getting to B to A while worried every meter of te way about the fuel you are burning, what is the point? Don't buy a car? Ride a bike.

I am so annoyed now, I am gonna go weld something to a wall. :)

Agreed with you, mine does 16km/l on avg. mostly with A/C and i just check the fuel economy once in a while when I pump diesel

Just to add my two cents to MD’s valuable comment, due to high cost of living car fuel efficiency is one of the most buzzing topics in a conversation. Some individuals suffering from superiority complexities like to exaggerate their figures causing others to doubt if there’s something wrong with their cars. Taking into account the average car buyers knowledge of the subject and all the stunts pulled by car seller these days I think it is perfectly reasonable for someone to harbor such doubts.

Both points of view from MD and Watchmen is valid. IMO the lack of knowledge in physics, how engine and stuff work plays major role here.

Yesterday I saw one guy in famous local FB page advice to change the entire engine for engine heat getting increase after drving 25Km. Guy who advise straigt away says it's a gasket issue and only solution is engine swap. And when I tried to explain its the last thing he should talk about, it went to explaining this is SOHC egine and cam shaft getting bend due to heat.. bla bla..

Both points of view from MD and Watchmen is valid. IMO the lack of knowledge in physics, how engine and stuff work plays major role here.

Yesterday I saw one guy in famous local FB page advice to change the entire engine for engine heat getting increase after drving 25Km. Guy who advise straigt away says it's a gasket issue and only solution is engine swap. And when I tried to explain its the last thing he should talk about, it went to explaining this is SOHC egine and cam shaft getting bend due to heat.. bla bla..

You mean VVTi I presume?

Anyway keeping track of your fuel consumption isn't bad. In fact I too have an excel sheet where I track my fuel usage. It helps me plan my personal finances AND lets me know how much I spend on my motorcycles. And more importantly, if I see a sudden spike/drop in fuel consumption I know something's wrong with the bike.

At the same time I agree with the concept of moving onto the highes gear as soon as possible and cruising on top-gear. But, as said before, the speed should be determined by your abilities, the vehicles cababilities and the external factors affecting your drive. Not the instantaneous fuel consumption.

Just to add my two cents to MD’s valuable comment, due to high cost of living car fuel efficiency is one of the most buzzing topics in a conversation. Some individuals suffering from superiority complexities like to exaggerate their figures causing others to doubt if there’s something wrong with their cars. Taking into account the average car buyers knowledge of the subject and all the stunts pulled by car seller these days I think it is perfectly reasonable for someone to harbor such doubts.

Agree with yo on this. However I would deal with the rising cost of living by NOT BUYING A 5 million rupee car with a possible lease that eats in to your earnings.... and then worry every waking hour if my car is doing better fuel than the the neighbours car.

It used to be keeping up with the Jones's is buying a better TV or throwing bigger parties or sending your kids to better schools, but now it seems the margins are a matter of a few kmpls in your cars. Sigh.

• Like 2

I agree with maintaining a log tracking fuel efficiency. I personally do it for managing my finances and this way I would notice if something is drastically wrong with the car.
For this I use an Android App called fuel manager. All I do is input the current mileage of the car and the volume of fuel I pumped in every refueling. The app does the rest. You let the app maintain the records, and dont think about fuel at all when driving. You get to be more attentive to whats actually happening on the road, and to get some actual driving pleasure this way.

Summary View : http://imgur.com/D91vbZn

Detailed View : http://imgur.com/9ukeuiW

You can get it for Android from here : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kb2.soft.fuelmanager

Edited by ramishkad

We can now Drink Beer and drive.... a perpetual motion engine!!! Stop only to buy beer!!!!

..and now that there is a price tag on the byproduct, priorities may change. Guest houses will go out of business both due to perpetual motion and opportunity cost (of using the same resource for alternative purposes).

Round trip to Warakapola

This was done early morning when there was no traffic.

bNQGIrs.jpg

Out of curiosity, are the fuel consumption figures reported by the Android app consistent with the readings from cars trip computer? Or are they a lot different?

Out of curiosity, are the fuel consumption figures reported by the Android app consistent with the readings from cars trip computer? Or are they a lot different?

These figures are from Alion 240. It does not come with a fuel consumption meter.

And, I have been using this Tachyon Tool for about 6 months and I find it fairly accurate.

Other than giving 25 individual trip data, it gives average value for these 25 trips. So it’s easy to compare with actual.

Also few of my friends have tried this Tachyon Tool in a new Corolla 2014 in US and a Premio 2014 in SL. According to them, this unit is accurate than the values shown in their cars.

• Like 1