• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Want To Buy A Car-My Budget Is Rs.1.5M To2.0M

hsk

Question

I want to buy a car for daily use.

I'm looking for fuel efficiency, spare parts availability and re-sale value.

I do not have any technical knowledge/ prior experience using a car..

Please help me to find suitable car

15 answers to this question

I would actually take MD's suggestion seriously (not the one about his gay orgy fetish, but the one about the diesel corolla)

The risk with buying a newer viva or something is u will be taken for a nice ride by the agent everytime u go for a repair.

With an old corolla, all u need to find is a mechanic whom u can trust, through a personal referral. Then u r good to go.

• Like 1

+1 to Diesel Corolla.

it is a workhose you can beat to death.

2C engine is economical as or more than VIVA as per rupee basis.

maintains and repairs can be done at any corner workshop.

no fancy electrics.

by now all these specimens done beyond 250-200k or so.

If its below 200k definitely odo is hampered.

get hold of with an ENGINE overhauled one with relevent documents for confirmation.

check where autobox engage D position properly om cold start.

fix would be 25-30 if needed.

other mechanicals can deal with easily but make sure to get down prices if repairs to be done.

keep 15 maximum margin for 65 series and 16.5 max for top condition prestien english plate.

do not pay a penny beyond this.

always bargain since these cars doesnt move as it used to be now.

added diesel is economical if you run a lot of miles per month.

say aroud 2000km up atleast.

good luck.

PS-I would buy 90s Corolla at anytime against VIVA.its just me.

your money-your car

• Like 1

In this case Toyota corolla AE 110 is the best you can get for 15-20 lacks. If you have any interest in Nissans, go for sunny fb15 manual one which is cheaper and has a better looking interior and exterior. But when it comes to resale value 110 is better. But 110 is a bit overpriced.

• Like 1

In this case Toyota corolla AE 110 is the best you can get for 15-20 lacks. If you have any interest in Nissans, go for sunny fb15 manual one which is cheaper and has a better looking interior and exterior. But when it comes to resale value 110 is better. But 110 is a bit overpriced.

Yes 110 is a good choice, but I don't think the FB15 manual has a better interior or exterior. afaik, only the V*P model has leather interior. All other grades has the same fabric interior.

+1 to Diesel Corolla.

it is a workhose you can beat to death.

2C engine is economical as or more than VIVA as per rupee basis.

maintains and repairs can be done at any corner workshop.

no fancy electrics.

by now all these specimens done beyond 250-200k or so.

If its below 200k definitely odo is hampered.

get hold of with an ENGINE overhauled one with relevent documents for confirmation.

check where autobox engage D position properly om cold start.

fix would be 25-30 if needed.

other mechanicals can deal with easily but make sure to get down prices if repairs to be done.

keep 15 maximum margin for 65 series and 16.5 max for top condition prestien english plate.

do not pay a penny beyond this.

always bargain since these cars doesnt move as it used to be now.

added diesel is economical if you run a lot of miles per month.

say aroud 2000km up atleast.

good luck.

PS-I would buy 90s Corolla at anytime against VIVA.its just me.

your money-your car

As someone who used to own a CE110, I second this comment wholeheartedly. Some of these owners quote ridiculous prices for these cars like Rs. 2.0 million and trust me they really dont get sold at those prices. I sold my 65- for 15.5 and that wasnt too easy. So dont fall for fake prices if you do come across one.

The other important fact is the engine overhauls. Any Diesel CE110 that had normal usage would require an engine overhaul by now. Either get one that has an engine overhaul done properly, or be prepared to budget for an overhaul if you get one without. I had to overhaul mine at 130000km as i remember. And the car had ~260000km on it when I sold. These vehicles are around 15 years old now so budget for some minor repairs too.

Having said all of that, these cars are great for daily use and can take quite a beating. I still miss mine.

Edited by ramishkad
  • Like 1

90's Corollas are solid cars and their engines and transmissions can last a long time without major issues. However as they are at least 15 years old they are in that precarious period where the rubber parts begin to perish. The result will be frequent niggles such as small oil leaks, suspension noise etc requiring frequent visits to the mechanic. Nothing serious though and not very expensive to fix provided you have access to a good mechanic and don't mind the hassle.

Yes 110 is a good choice, but I don't think the FB15 manual has a better interior or exterior. afaik, only the V*P model has leather interior. All other grades has the same fabric interior.

That's true. But by interior I didn't only mean the materials. The dash board looks more modern than in 110 . The leg space is much better. And about the exterior, it has crystal head lights which you don't get in 110, and it has a much more better body shape than 110. Also the 110 is from 1996 and the corresponding model from Nissan was fb14. fb 15 is the corresponding model for 111 where manufacturing started from 1998 for both. So fb 15 is new and cheap.

That's true. But by interior I didn't only mean the materials. The dash board looks more modern than in 110 . The leg space is much better. And about the exterior, it has crystal head lights which you don't get in 110, and it has a much more better body shape than 110. Also the 110 is from 1996 and the corresponding model from Nissan was fb14. fb 15 is the corresponding model for 111 where manufacturing started from 1998 for both. So fb 15 is new and cheap.

Sorry, my bad. I thought that you meant the FB15 manual has a better interior than the FB15 autos :speechless-smiley-004:

Yes I agree with you, fb15 interior is more modern-ish than the 110 (both the pre face-lift and face-lift) and I also like the body shape of the fb15 than the 110.

As a user of a CE110 for last 15 years I also totally agree to what Chan 5 said.

Imported in 1999 with 56k on the clock and overhauled at 175k . Now 285k on the clock and still going strong without a single oil leak.

Whatever part you need is freely available at used parts dealers. very economical to run and maintain.

But remember those are almost 15-20 years old now and need some attention.

So I see most of members suggest and recommend a diesel corolla here.

Since OP has not specified car types or brands and given requirements are some what basic when buying a car, I would like to suggest and Alto.

Reasons.

1. Mainly OP says that he does not have technical knowledge on cars and have not used a car before. So here I seriously doubt that going for a beaten up diesel is the best bet for him as we all know that these cars need attention when required, and if by any misfortune he ends up buying the wrong car, he is in deep poo. The odds are really not good as per my understanding.

2. He wants fuel efficient car with spare parts availability and having a better resale value. We all know alto does very well on fuel and if you buy a 2013 one, you could drive it for couple of years without any hassle. Even the resale values of these things are holding up well and I don't think there's any problem in finding spares for Alto in sri lanka.

3. Rather than spending 1.6 million on a 15-20 year old, beaten up & engine overhauled diesel car which you can not be certain of being properly maintained over its life span of 15-20 years, it is much safer to go for a one year old petrol car for the same price which in return you could worry less on spending time & money on garages fixing the car time to time.

Above is of course if you don't mind a car with less space, less comfort and less posh..

Edited by trinity
  • Like 2