• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Has Happened To Bmw 320D S?

Nishan.dj

Question

Guys,

Sometime back, I remember there were many 320Ds on the road. May be because of the permits and all. But nowadays It seems I hardly see one of them. Any idea what has happened? Any common issue or something? Appreciate if you can share something. :)

Thanks

So effectively you're gonna cheat the next guy you sell the car to because "no-one will know what is inside"?

Anyway I get a sense that this is just a troll, and the mods should look into moderating/banning his posts. No-one who was raised by sensible parents would do something like this. Unless aquaman's parents too at one point bought a car they couldn't afford and dumped a garbage engine into it, just because they wanted to look 'posh'.

Only idiots will not check inside or not tell what is inside.

Please do not bring parents in to this discussion. If you cannot take part in a decent exchange of opinion and ideas, then stay silent.

I am entitled to my opinion without being insulted on a personal level.

Good Question - a couple years back Sylvi uncle would reply to this post mentioning that W.T.F Perera of Rosmead place , who was the MD of EW Damnit and sons of Vauxhall street brought the first BWM in 1934 and that transplanting engines worked fine on his maruti van.

Does anyone know how the good uncle is doing?

Well, I have met him few times. For now he is old enough to rest most of the time in the day than working at his work shop.

I respect him for the knowledge he has with older autos and electrical stuff. He helped me with generating higher AMPs with my existing alternator and it was successful (1974 vehicle)

Edited by Nishan.dj

Harsh truth is car entusiasts are a rare breed compared to the general population. We've all seen our fair share of Pertol cars running diesel engines. Everything from Euros to even older Japs which came with fairly economical petrol engines. Until someone decided they're not cheap enough.

Even in the car circles, there are two types

1. Who would buy a car to enjoy how it drives and actually experience the character of a particular car.

2. Who would call anything with a spoiler "sport model" who just want the bragging rights. For this lot, the other crowd are loonies. The same way that these guys look like loonies to us.

So the thread has come full circle and answered Nishan's question as to what happened to the 320Ds, they have come to price point where they are now affordable to the "illang posh" crowd (I hope that doesn't say a lot about me though :D ) and are being hacked to death in some maka baas's shed.

• Like 2

I think all of you are like Lindey inna madiya

This was done at a garage closer to where I live.

1. No advertising on the forum

2. Sharing links to other classified sites are not allowed on the forum

3. Name-calling is not allowed in the forum

You have broken all these rules with this post.

Good Question - a couple years back Sylvi uncle would reply to this post mentioning that W.T.F Perera of Rosmead place , who was the MD of EW Damnit and sons of Vauxhall street brought the first BWM in 1934 and that transplanting engines worked fine on his maruti van.

Does anyone know how the good uncle is doing?

This cracked me up so hard man. :D

• Like 1

Machan Aquaman... I am on your side buddy... don't worry about all these proles who are up in arms against you plugging in a 2C engine to a BMW. Your car, your petrol.., i mean diesel ne....

Anyway one thing to note is that body parts of these cars are also expensive. So suppose you knock the front to a wall someday, you could replace the headlights from a Toyota Corolla... don't worry your friend at Priyantha Motors in Kurunegala will do that for you with a few tins of cataloy (don't forget to ask them to buy a good brand of cataloy) and flip the grille sideways just for kicks. And if someday you get rear-ended by a bus, you could always replace them with a pair of Mitsubishi tail lamps. if you need to fabricate the boot lid (in your language, dicky piyana), you can get it done from a sheet of galvanised steel.

and hopefully, your bimmer will look nice and luxurious like this car.. .ela kiri...

z2hoB0Q.jpg

08Jhz1Z.jpg

(Read more about this car here: http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/14938-ruined-bmw-e28/)

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

1. No advertising on the forum

2. Sharing links to other classified sites are not allowed on the forum

3. Name-calling is not allowed in the forum

You have broken all these rules with this post.

I am sorry, I was not aware of such rules. There was no clear instruction as what not to do.

But where were you when I was called an Ass, an idiot, my parents were ridiculed?

Edited by Aquaman

Harsh truth is car entusiasts are a rare breed compared to the general population. We've all seen our fair share of Pertol cars running diesel engines. Everything from Euros to even older Japs which came with fairly economical petrol engines. Until someone decided they're not cheap enough.

Even in the car circles, there are two types

1. Who would buy a car to enjoy how it drives and actually experience the character of a particular car.

2. Who would call anything with a spoiler "sport model" who just want the bragging rights. For this lot, the other crowd are loonies. The same way that these guys look like loonies to us.

So the thread has come full circle and answered Nishan's question as to what happened to the 320Ds, they have come to price point where they are now affordable to the "illang posh" crowd (I hope that doesn't say a lot about me though :D ) and are being hacked to death in some maka baas's shed.

what you say i right. Car is a tool for some, jewewllery for some, investment, or a treasure. you cannot judge how I use a car by the way you use it. A BMW maybe just another car for many, and for others it may be the greatest vehicle. A man who can afford a rolls royce will not look at a BMW or benz.

A man who can only afford maruti will dream of bmw, but for some people any car is just a car.

If people understand and respect that then all cars are beutiful. beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Edited by Aquaman
  • Like 1

what you say i right. Car is a tool for some, jewewllery for some, investment, or a treasure. you cannot judge how I use a car by the way you use it. A BMW maybe just another car for many, and for others it may be the greatest vehicle. A man who can afford a rolls royce will not look at a BMW or benz.

A man who can only afford maruti will dream of bmw, but for some people any car is just a car.

If people understand and respect that then all cars are beutiful. beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Which begs the question: Why are you trolling members of a forum that is dedicated to cars? I'm sure if you take your ideas over to another forum you'll be praised by the great multitude of people who look at cars as tools, but here the majority of us love cars. You have every right to your opinion, as do we, but despite our petrol-head bias, the majority of members were arguing with logic and common-sense: I.E if you want cheap running, buy a nice Japanese car! For the Rs. 300,000 spent on replacing a BMW engine with a 2C engine, not only would you be able to retain the value of it remaing what it was designed to be (after years of R&D by technicians in a multitude of fields), you would also be able to completely overhaul the original engine with a chunk of change to spare!

• Like 7

The only thing people are understanding from this discussion is that you are a bit of a lunatic. So please stop trolling the forum.

This thread reminds me of the RX7 with a Diesel engine I saw at Negombo... Can't understand why someone would buy a great car to ruin it. Why not leave it for an enthusiast to pick up and maintain in its original form?

I think it is the duty of the car enthusiasts to keep the rest of the clientele informed of these BMWs rolling out of the chop-shops. So the less vigilant buyers would stay clear of these. And we could stop this from happening to other BMWs by depleting the demand for molested BMWs.

Edited by isam

Aquaman,

If you think that putting a 2c into a BMW is going to make it reliable I doubt it. Almost all components of the car runs on CAN BUS with them feeding into the main ECU. I don't think a 'baas' dropping a 2C engine is going to make all that function better than it came from the factory.

Let's see this 300- car your friends has.

Edited by madmax
  • Like 1

Dude's got a point. I mean we're cool with homosexuality, cross dressing, different religious and cultural views as well as more mundane material things like Mac's running Windows OS etc. So why on earth are we getting so worked up over a BMW or a Merc hobnobbing with some Toyota parts?

Homosexuality is not a choice and I respect that, have nothing against them. But dropping a 2C into a BMW is. LOL

Edited by madmax
  • Like 3

It is true that you can buy Toyota corolla with 2 C engine. But it is very common for srilankans to buy europaean cars and put diesel engine... There is a famous baas in waliweriay who modfies benz car for diesel running using 2C engine. So BMW also can be done.

people dont car what is inside the car if they have outside look and cheap running car.

No it is NOT common, just because some godaya's you hang out with do it, doesn't make it common. Of all the asinine things guerrilla marketing attempts on this forum, this HAS to be the most asinine. Go sell your crap somewhere else.

Aquaman,

If you think that putting a 2c into a BMW is going to make it reliable I doubt it. Almost all components of the car runs on CAN BUS with them feeding into the main ECU. I don't think a 'baas' dropping a 2C engine is going to make all that function better than it came from the factory.

Let's see this 300- car your friends has.

Seriously, will any of the electronics work, after swapping the engine with a 2C?

Seriously, will any of the electronics work, after swapping the engine with a 2C?

A very interesting question! Apparently it does (in a Merc). But seriously, I can't get my head around how it would. I'd like it see it in action if it does though from a purely academic point of view...

• Like 1

You will have trouble only if you try to use the origanal wiring. What you do is connect only the important systems directly to new engine computer box. ignition can be modified.

Can you post some pics of such modified car? (Engine bay and other changed parts) Thanks.

Aquaman: Please post some pics. Since the current conversion you know of is on a E46 would be nice to see some pics of a 2C in the flesh.

Having owned E46 cars, I assure that Euros dont age as fast as the Jap or Korean makes and do not require an engine transplant unless it has not been maintained properly by previous owners as the engines are generally good for ~500,000kms. Even the technology they had some 10-20 years ago is still on par with, or exceeds the technology in the latest Allions/Premios we have on our roads today.

Also, the electronics department have been taken to town from the e46 onwards, and I am not sure how a 2C engine will fit in that car with all the complex programming required for some of the options.

If you think its possible to run the car with a 2C engine and a different wire harness, all features and functions that came with the car wil be lost. Im really not sure of the point of even holding on/driving such a car... unless its something you can live with...

Edited by Rukster
  • Like 2

You will have trouble only if you try to use the origanal wiring. What you do is connect only the important systems directly to new engine computer box. ignition can be modified.

I am pretty sure if you do this, a simple instrument like speedo meter want show you a accurate figure. This car will become another safety hazard running on road.

What does the 2C come in usually?

Seeing as the BMW's have longitudinally mounted engines if the Toyota unit is from a common car, chances are that they're FWD right?

So how will it work in terms of the gearbox drive shafts etc??

Someone's trolling & we're all just getting sucked in me thinks.....

That being said though there are a tonne of Volvo S40's running Jap diesels out there - don't know how the electronics integrate but i've seen more than a few cars on the "fast" site :o

• Like 1