• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oil Change

1000cc

Question

Hi,

This is my First car and I'm not sure when engine oil needs to change.

I changed the engine oil June 10th 2015 and it had 59500KM done at that time.

Now it's about 63000KM and today is 21st Feb 2016. so more than 7 months. But they told me that time, change the oil again after 64500KM.

So what should i do? Do i need to consider the time or need to consider the KM's ?

20 answers to this question

Brand name has no issue unless you stick with what the manufacturer recommended oil grade. Here you have changed from 10W to 15W. It may well within the manufacturer recommended range. But check to be sure.

The W specification (Winter) is not applicable for tropical countries like Sri Lanka. So it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2

Hi,

Â

This is my First car and I'm not sure when engine oil needs to change.

Â

I changed the engine oil  June 10th 2015 and it had 59500KM done at that time.

Â

Now it's about 63000KM and today is 21st Feb 2016. so more than 7 months. But they told me that time, change the oil again after 64500KM.

Â

So what should i do? Do i need to consider the time or need to consider the KM's ?

Normally engine oil is changed in every 5000kms or every 6 months (whichever comes first) .They would have told you to do that in 64500kms considering you would reach that first. So no need to panic given that it's more than 7 months since the last change. It's time. :D

• Like 2

Normally engine oil is changed in every 5000kms or every 6 months (whichever comes first) .They would have told you to do that in 64500kms considering you would reach that first. So no need to panic given that it's more than 7 months since the last change. It's time. :D

What are the cons if you use it for more than 6 months (since you havent reach 5000km ) ??

• Like 1

Found a nice explanation.

The blood in your body. Water in the desert. And oil in an engine. They're all vital. Without them, someone or something is going to die!

Oil is an essential lubricant in your engine. It lets metal press against metal without damage. For example, it lubricates the pistons as they move up and down in the cylinders. Without oil, the metal-on-metal friction creates so much heat that eventually the surfaces weld themselves together and the engine seizes. Which is not good if you're trying to get somewhere. On the other hand, if you want someone else not to get somewhere, then draining the oil out of his or her engine is an effective roadblock!

Let's say that your engine has plenty of oil, but you never change it. Two things will definitely happen:

• Dirt will accumulate in the oil. The filter will remove the dirt for a while, but eventually the filter will clog and the dirty oil will automatically bypass the filter through a relief valve. Dirty oil is thick and abrasive, so it causes more wear.
  • Additives in the oil like detergents, dispersants, rust-fighters and friction reducers will wear out, so the oil won't lubricate as well as it should.

Eventually, as the oil gets dirtier and dirtier, it will stop lubricating and the engine will quickly wear and fail.

• Like 6

What are the cons if you use it for more than 6 months (since you havent reach 5000km ) ??

To add to sathyajith99's quote above, regardless of whether an engine is used or not, oil comes into contact with moisture and condensation, which causes it to lose it's lubricating properties. So it doesn't really matter if the car has been driven or not, oil breaks down over time. Think of it as something that has an expiry date on top of the mileage. :)

We should be having some good discussions about oil already that OP might find useful.

• Like 3

Thank you guys, I just changed the Oil today, Last time i used Mobil 2000 (10W -40) but this time i went for Havoline(15W - 40) ,

Will it be an issue changed the brand?

Brand name has no issue unless you stick with what the manufacturer recommended oil grade. Here you have changed from 10W to 15W. It may well within the manufacturer recommended range. But check to be sure.

• Like 1

Thank you guys, I just changed the Oil today, Last time i used Mobil 2000 (10W -40) but this time i went for Havoline(15W - 40) ,

Will it be an issue changed the brand?

W specification is beside the point. Was the Havoline you put Semi synthetic too, Mobil 2000 is Semi synthetic innit ?

Hey Gentlemen,

Does anyone know now long synthetic oil can be stored before use? Does the stuff break down over time? I've got some Sync Oil that's been sitting in the 5L jugs they are sold in for about a year now (got them on sale so I bought extra) and am looking to be using them, but don't know whether to shorten the oil change interval just in case the oil breaks down over time. Am I just being paranoid?

Any of you chaps have any input / thoughts on the matter before I go ahead?

Hey Gentlemen,

Does anyone know now long synthetic oil can be stored before use? Does the stuff break down over time? I've got some Sync Oil that's been sitting in the 5L jugs they are sold in for about a year now (got them on sale so I bought extra) and am looking to be using them, but don't know whether to shorten the oil change interval just in case the oil breaks down over time. Am I just being paranoid?

I think this depends on an array of factors starting from the composition of the oil (what sort of additives have been added. Rust prevention additives etc. can contribute to degrade shelf life faster), to the environment in which the oil is stored. Having said that, If your oil is stored in airtight cans that they come in, and if the cans aren't subjected to direct sunlight or heat (say above room temperature), you should be fine for a couple of years I guess. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also Kavvz, this is highly unlikely, but have you checked for an expiry or "use by" date on the cans? What brand and type of oil is this?

Hey Gentlemen,

I think this depends on an array of factors starting from the composition of the oil (what sort of additives have been added. Rust prevention additives etc. can contribute to degrade shelf life faster), to the environment in which the oil is stored. Having said that, If your oil is stored in airtight cans that they come in, and if the cans aren't subjected to direct sunlight or heat (say above room temperature), you should be fine for a couple of years I guess. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also Kavvz, this is highly unlikely, but have you checked for an expiry or "use by" date on the cans? What brand and type of oil is this?

I checked the can. There's no expiry date. :sad-smiley-066:

Its Castrol Syntec and there's no expiry or date of manufacture listed on the can / jugs that I can see. I'm assuming these cans usually sit in warehouses anyway for a bit before being used / distributed? And yes, the cans were stored under normal conditions, unopened and out of direct sunlight in the black cans they come in...so I figure its no big deal as you state?

I can't find anything online other than guidelines from Castrol to store the oil at temps under 60 C, which is a bit annoying, especially since, common sense dictates that these oils should start deteriorating at some point? But again I could be just over thinking it.

Righto, so if there are no other inputs, its off to oil change I go! Hey ho! Hey ho! Its off to oil change I go...! :D

Edited by Kavvz

Its Castrol Syntec and there's no expiry or date of manufacture listed on the can / jugs that I can see. I'm assuming these cans usually sit in warehouses anyway for a bit before being used, distributed? And yes, the cans were stored under normal conditions, unopened and out of direct sunlight in the black cans they come in...so I figure its no big deal as you state?

I can't find anything online other than guidelines from Castrol to store the oil at temps under 60 C

Righto, so if there are no other inputs its off to oil change I go! Hey ho! Hey ho! Its off to oil change I go...! :D

You should be fine since the oil is still in the original cans and been stored away according to their guidelines.

Just did a quick search and found that many sources recommend up to 5 years.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 2

Its Castrol Syntec and there's no expiry or date of manufacture listed on the can / jugs that I can see. I'm assuming these cans usually sit in warehouses anyway for a bit before being used / distributed? And yes, the cans were stored under normal conditions, unopened and out of direct sunlight in the black cans they come in...so I figure its no big deal as you state?

I can't find anything online other than guidelines from Castrol to store the oil at temps under 60 C, which is a bit annoying, especially since, common sense dictates that these oils should start deteriorating at some point? But again I could be just over thinking it.

Righto, so if there are no other inputs, its off to oil change I go! Hey ho! Hey ho! Its off to oil change I go...! :D

I always use Castrol EDGE 5W-30 C3 TITANIUM FST for my vehicles and always use to check manufactured date on the can before use, But as you said there is no expiry date mentioned. But at least you can check how old your oil is by checking manufactured date.

I always use Castrol EDGE 5W-30 C3 TITANIUM FST for my vehicles and always use to check manufactured date on the can before use, But as you said there is no expiry date mentioned. But at least you can check how old your oil is by checking manufactured date.
You should be fine since the oil is still in the original cans and been stored away according to their guidelines.

Just did a quick search and found that many sources recommend up to 5 years.

Yes exactly, and after Davy mentioned that that synthetic oil is generally good for 5yrs as long as its stored properly, I did a google search by updating the key words used; to verify that statement. All of the forums and data sources that came up in the search results confirmed Davy's statement so I went a head and changed my oil as mentioned above.

My thanks to all the AL members who helped out!

Edited by Kavvz

The W specification (Winter) is not applicable for tropical countries like Sri Lanka. So it shouldn't be a problem.

I thought the W represents the oil viscosity when the engine is cold. During the first service I used 10W-30 for my Hiace but later found out the recommended oil was 5W-30 and used that during the 2nd service. I noticed the engine was slightly smoother than before in the morning

I thought the W represents the oil viscosity when the engine is cold. During the first service I used 10W-30 for my Hiace but later found out the recommended oil was 5W-30 and used that during the 2nd service. I noticed the engine was slightly smoother than before in the morning

Yes it does. In this case "cold" refers to freezing temperatures. If I'm not mistaken, the number before W is the viscosity when the temperature is 0 Fahrenheit (-17 Celsius). Obviously we don't get anywhere near to that kind of low temperature in Sri Lanka. So the W specification has no effect.

As for the smoothness you felt; probably placebo. :)

• Like 2

Yes it does. In this case "cold" refers to freezing temperatures. If I'm not mistaken, the number before W is the viscosity when the temperature is 0 Fahrenheit (-17 Celsius). Obviously we don't get anywhere near to that kind of low temperature in Sri Lanka. So the W specification has no effect.

As for the smoothness you felt; probably placebo. :)

I can confirm what Davy said.

Essentially you can ignore the number in front of the W for Sri Lanka as that's the calculated viscosity at 0° F as mentioned. Theoretically the difference in viscosity between 10w-30 and 5w-30 at temperatures (25°C to 29°C I'm assuming) experienced in Kandy overnight shouldn't really be noticeable.

If you want to read up on it yourself here's a good link

• Like 1