• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need help to decide

pontiac_gto

Question

Hi all,

Im living abroad and planned to buy a sports car. I have plenty of options within  my budget so its bit difficult to choose most suitable option. Fuel economy, comfortability, after marker etc are not my concerns. Im expecting only driving pleasure or the othet words driving fun. Available options as follows.

2002 Evo 7 GTA
98 evo 6 gsr
2001 wrx sti
2007 legacy b4
2003 fairlady z 
2006 Bmw 3 series 320i
2003 rx8

Personally i like evo 7 or beemer but still confusing. As experts what you guys think. Which one is the better option to fullfil my requirement. 

Thanks for your time

Not an expert since I have not owned any of these cars, but I've driven some. So here's my two cents about them:

- The Evo VII GT-A is automatic. Pretty sure you will miss that third pedal. If you can go for a Evo VII GSR instead, then yes.

- The 1998 Evo VI GSR and 2001 Subaru STi have pretty much the same power and the cars weigh almost the same. If you can find an example in good condition, then either car will be fun to drive. Depending on where you are located, you might be able to find one of those rare Tommi Makinen editions of the Evo VI and they're awesome! :)

- The BMW E46 is the slowest of them all, so I'd look at the other options unless you're referring to an M3

No experience with the other cars, so I'm not going to comment on them.

• Like 1

Hi davy, thanks for the advise. I made a mistake that i forgot evo gta is auto. Btw i dont need auto. Evo7 gsr is not within my budget. I searched few  tommi makinen editions but all of them were track cars. Need to do some repairs and cost is also high. M3 also not within my budget. Actually beemer is e90 not e46.

If you need help deciding: Then you're not ready for a 'sports car'.

Please buy yourself a nice '99 4-door hoda civic ekak with a fart cannon + spoiler and deposit the rest of the money into my sampath bank account instead. I shall be PM-ing you my account number shortly...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, pontiac_gto said:

Hi all,

Im living abroad and planned to buy a sports car. I have plenty of options within  my budget so its bit difficult to choose most suitable option. Fuel economy, comfortability, after marker etc are not my concerns. Im expecting only driving pleasure or the othet words driving fun. Available options as follows.

2002 Evo 7 GTA
98 evo 6 gsr
2001 wrx sti
2007 legacy b4
2003 fairlady z 
2006 Bmw 3 series 320i
2003 rx8

Personally i like evo 7 or beemer but still confusing. As experts what you guys think. Which one is the better option to fullfil my requirement. 

Thanks for your time

I was kidding with my previous post- obviously. :D

I'm no expert but from your list what I would buy:

A: 2007 Legacy B4- Why? I can't afford a sports car and this is a good as it would get for me! Plus I love the way they sound (and look).

B: A family member picked up a 2005 Rx8 on the cheap. Its fun to drive but weird (and expensive) to maintain. I get to moonlight in it once in a while and while I like it and secretly wish I had one too, the cost it takes to keep that thing on the road snaps me outta that daydream pretty quick.

22 hours ago, pontiac_gto said:

Hi kavvz, i think its not good dicision to deposit money on banks in country like sri lanka. If you have any better investment plan ill think about it.:P Btw my budget is only about 4laks. 

Iol Who said you were gonna deposit? The money's for me to spend on my car! I need new HID headlights, new tires and a bit of paint touch up on my rear bumper were some asshat rubbed against me in a parking lot and fled! And of course its a good investment....for me :D

Edited by Kavvz

22 hours ago, pontiac_gto said:

Hi kavvz, i think its not good dicision to deposit money on banks in country like sri lanka. If you have any better investment plan ill think about it.:P Btw my budget is only about 4laks. 

Jokes aside you can buy a decent condition 2007 Legacy B4  for 4 lakhs where you live? Wow, the mind boggles!  Where are you located?

15 hours ago, Jor-el said:

What happened to the post with shaken and stuff?

LOL...just didn't want to burst the inspiration....

1 hour ago, trinity said:

Wait a second, I thought you ARE in Japan. 

LOL...I am :D

3 hours ago, pontiac_gto said:

Here the problem is parking and mantenance cost. not a initial cost for the car. 

True....but there is more....what Joe-el was asking was I initially made a post stating that the cars you are looking at for that price do not have a valid shaken (or about to expire) or has a record of accident history or high mileage. So account for another 200K-300K for shaken and registrtion and road taxes that you may have to pay. Usually the cars you are looking at go for around 600K-700K.

Then there is the annual road tax....for my 1600cc Corolla wagon it is about 68000yen on an annual basis...for the 2008 RAV4 it was about 84000yen...the cars you are looking at go as high performance cars so it will be somewat on the higher end of the spectrum. Also, I hope you know that the taxes for a pre-2003 car (cars that were manufactured before the new emission regulations) is about 7-10% more than a 2003 or newer car.

As for maintenance...parts can be cheap but labor can get high and sometimesit is cheaper at the agent than indi garages. So find a good small garage and befriend them :)

On 7/9/2016 at 8:09 AM, Kavvz said:

Iol Who said you were gonna deposit? The money's for me to spend on my car! I need new HID headlights, new tires and a bit of paint touch up on my rear bumper were some asshat rubbed against me in a parking lot and fled! And of course its a good investment....for me :D

Just curious. Whats the car you drive?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

Just curious. Whats the car you drive?

A trusty Nissan of course, what else! Although as stated above I wouldn't mind having a B4 just to hear its sweet throaty rumble !

Edited by Kavvz

4 hours ago, iRage said:

True....but there is more....what Joe-el was asking was I initially made a post stating that the cars you are looking at for that price do not have a valid shaken (or about to expire) or has a record of accident history or high mileage. So account for another 200K-300K for shaken and registrtion and road taxes that you may have to pay. Usually the cars you are looking at go for around 600K-700K.

Then there is the annual road tax....for my 1600cc Corolla wagon it is about 68000yen on an annual basis...for the 2008 RAV4 it was about 84000yen...the cars you are looking at go as high performance cars so it will be somewat on the higher end of the spectrum. Also, I hope you know that the taxes for a pre-2003 car (cars that were manufactured before the new emission regulations) is about 7-10% more than a 2003 or newer car.

As for maintenance...parts can be cheap but labor can get high and sometimesit is cheaper at the agent than indi garages. So find a good small garage and befriend them :)

Actually my budget is bit more than 6laks. In other words kola hetak. Im planning to spend 4laks for the car and others for shaken, hoken and etc. Im not willing to keep it for long time. Will use it for few months and will be move to another. 

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Actually my budget is bit more than 6laks. In other words kola hetak. Im planning to spend 4laks for the car and others for shaken, hoken and etc. Im not willing to keep it for long time. Will use it for few months and will be move to another. 

17 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

Just curious... are there good PRESEA's in Japan still running on the roads?

never seen any pressea for long time in roads. There are some in scrap yards  and some of them are in nice condition. 

Edited by pontiac_gto
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PreseaLover said:

Just curious... are there good PRESEA's in Japan still running on the roads?

can recall only one blue Presea...other than that can't remember any ! Then again never paid attention to them anyway. 

1 hour ago, pontiac_gto said:

Aha....that makes sense...but don't you think you will spend and lose more money on registration fees than the cost of the cars if you just swap them every few months ? Then again if you are going to sell it off after a few months...the purpose of this thread is also lost ne ?

I have an Aussie friend who has the same fever....he buys clean units..uses it and then ships it off to AUS. Then I know a few Sri Lankans who buy accident damaged Aquas and then fixes them use them and ships it to SL :). What I am hinting is perhaps you can buy these cars..use them and then have them stripped and sold off as conversion units to SL :D. Your value addition would be the fact that you can guarantee they were road worthy good condition cars I Japan.

• Like 1