Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • 0

Throttle Prob !


omee
 Share

Question

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

If it has a cable, then it could be because one or more metal wires of the cable have snapped and jammed inside the casing. First check if there's something obstructing the accelerator pedal by inspecting the area and manually pushing the pedal all the way down with your hand.

Then inspect how the cable goes to the throttle body/carburettor and check if there are sharp bends and damages in the cable. 

If you can't find anything with the pedal and cable, unhook the cable from the engine side and try gently stepping on the accelerator to see if you still feel excessive friction. If you do,  spray some WD-40 into the cable housing and keep pulling the cable from either end alternatively so that it lubricates the entire cable. You can use some machine oil or engine oil as a substitute. If the cable is loose and slides easily, it might be that the carburettor/throttle body hinges need lubrication. If not, it might be the acceleration hinges or the cable itself is damaged internally. It will have to be taken out, inspected and replaced if necessary. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Assuming your car has a throttle cable first thing to do is to lubricate the cable and see if the tightness disappears. It is a DIY job for some but not for all. What is required is to dismount the cable from throttle mechanism and pour some oil (engine oil would do) little by little into the cable sheath while moving the cable to and fro (you can use a masking tape to temporarily make a funnel around the sheath).  Tightness can be due to few other things like throttle mechanism but a sticky cable is the most frequent cause. What is the car model BTW?

Edit: Davy beat me to it and his reply above gives a better description than mine.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Agree with above responses. I had the same issue since I bought the car, the throttle position was jumping. And never bothered to fix it until it became a nuisance.

Just a diy weekend job really.

What I did was first clean the throttle body butterfly valve with some intake cleaner cause that had some gunk causing the throttle to stick. 

Then I noticed that there is some sand stuck in the throttle return spring so cleaned that and put some 3m lubrication spray on it (wd40 substitute from 3m). Then sprayed some lube spray into the throttle cable and finally sprayed some oil into the throttle pedal springs.

 

Edited by The Stig
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 1/18/2017 at 0:56 AM, Davy said:

If it has a cable, then it could be because one or more metal wires of the cable have snapped and jammed inside the casing. First check if there's something obstructing the accelerator pedal by inspecting the area and manually pushing the pedal all the way down with your hand.

Then inspect how the cable goes to the throttle body/carburettor and check if there are sharp bends and damages in the cable. 

If you can't find anything with the pedal and cable, unhook the cable from the engine side and try gently stepping on the accelerator to see if you still feel excessive friction. If you do,  spray some WD-40 into the cable housing and keep pulling the cable from either end alternatively so that it lubricates the entire cable. You can use some machine oil or engine oil as a substitute. If the cable is loose and slides easily, it might be that the carburettor/throttle body hinges need lubrication. If not, it might be the acceleration hinges or the cable itself is damaged internally. It will have to be taken out, inspected and replaced if necessary. 

 

Thank you very much and I will do like that.. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 1/18/2017 at 1:04 AM, Rumesh88 said:

Assuming your car has a throttle cable first thing to do is to lubricate the cable and see if the tightness disappears. It is a DIY job for some but not for all. What is required is to dismount the cable from throttle mechanism and pour some oil (engine oil would do) little by little into the cable sheath while moving the cable to and fro (you can use a masking tape to temporarily make a funnel around the sheath).  Tightness can be due to few other things like throttle mechanism but a sticky cable is the most frequent cause. What is the car model BTW?

Edit: Davy beat me to it and his reply above gives a better description than mine.

Thanks buddy and the car model is Suzuki Liana japan 2004. I bought it last week

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 1/18/2017 at 3:13 AM, The Stig said:

Agree with above responses. I had the same issue since I bought the car, the throttle position was jumping. And never bothered to fix it until it became a nuisance.

Just a diy weekend job really.

What I did was first clean the throttle body butterfly valve with some intake cleaner cause that had some gunk causing the throttle to stick. 

Then I noticed that there is some sand stuck in the throttle return spring so cleaned that and put some 3m lubrication spray on it (wd40 substitute from 3m). Then sprayed some lube spray into the throttle cable and finally sprayed some oil into the throttle pedal springs.

 

Will try by spraying some lube and Thank you very much for your value reply .. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Is so hard...the trick is to lube it...some times its a DIY job... but sometimes its not etc. Its all a bit too much for my filthy mind to handle: Quick! Someone lock this thread before I troll the crap out of it !! :D 

Edited by Kavvz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 1/20/2017 at 4:34 PM, Kavvz said:

Is so hard...the trick is to lube it...some times its a DIY job... but sometimes its not etc. Its all a bit too much for my filthy mind to handle: Quick! Someone lock this thread before I troll the crap out of it !! :D 

Who cares you kid ... :lol: lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

AutoLanka Cars For Sale

Post Your Ad Free [Click Here]



×
×
  • Create New...