• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

7 minutes ago, iRage said:

This also has a lot to do with wheel/tire size. a 13" wheel (even after factoring standard tire sizes) are more prone to sink in more in to a pothole than a vehicle with a larger wheel size (where the drop in to the pothole will be less).

exactly - and I realized this recently as well : the dirt road leading to my house has many ruts/potholes (it's a slope) and while I've never really been bothered by it a Wagon R reversing on that road looked like it was doing some off-roading. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, matroska said:

exactly - and I realized this recently as well : the dirt road leading to my house has many ruts/potholes (it's a slope) and while I've never really been bothered by it a Wagon R reversing on that road looked like it was doing some off-roading. 

Yes....we humans tend to overlook simple laws of physics :D 

• Haha 2

I'm having a problem with the infotainment system & speed dialing. Whenever I connect a different phone to run Android Auto, it clears out all the speed dials set up. Is it normal. In my case, I'm carrying two phones. but what if the vehicle is used by two person like Husband & Wife.

18 minutes ago, tinyman said:

Whenever I connect a different phone to run Android Auto, it clears out all the speed dials set up. Is it normal. In my case, I'm carrying two phones. but what if the vehicle is used by two person like Husband & Wife.

Did you follow the above setup and connect both devices individually? And how about both your phones? Are they having the same name/ model etc.?

• 1 month later...

Ok folks.. so I’ve had a whole heap of tough luck these past few weeks 😢.

1) One of my Continental MC6’s developed a bulge due to damage from the inside - guessing one of those nasty potholes did it. A single tyre is 109k and hence replaced two on the axle with Yokohama ES32 for 56k each. So I’ve got one MC6 used for a year (under 10,000km for sure) available for sale if anyone wants it.

2) The agent ruined my AC system by mixing r134a with r1234yf. I had to drive with the AC set to like 20C to feel any reasonable cooling at low fan. Used to have it at 23C before. Took it elsewhere and found a leak in the condenser (yes, the second one). Got it replaced and they converted to r134a entirely. Now I need to keep the AC at 19C or it’s warm. Total mess up. This hullabaloo cost me 69k. 

3) According to the agent, I’ve sprung a little oil leak that is common for all FK models above 40k km on the clock. Said it’ll cost 120k to fix and will take an entire day or more. Funny enough, I didn’t seem to have this before the service there about 3 weeks ago and they even changed the CVT fluid.

4) My suspension is really weird. It’s got my car wobbling sideways now when I go over bumps or holes. And gosh the ride is soooo stiff. According to the agent, that’s normal and is a signature of Civics. I know it wasn’t this bad before. Funny thing is one of the service advisors called me after the service and said that my shock mounts need replacing. When I went later to get that checked and done, they were like “nobody mentioned anything” and “all the shocks are perfect”.

5) During the service, I had to change my rear brake pads as they were worn off. Didn’t have a choice and it was really late that day plus didn’t want to take a risk so got it done at the agent. 76k for the rear pads alone.

6) Scratched by passenger side mirror on a tree at Tea Avenue thanks to the security chap there and his marvelous directions. Was dark so couldn’t see crap. Supposed to be about 8k to paint it.

Yup… learning the meaning of patience. 

36 minutes ago, misnad said:

by mixing r134a with r1234yf.

it's pretty disappointing that the agent did this. 

42 minutes ago, misnad said:

According to the agent, that’s normal and is a signature of Civics

The st##ford folk genuinely annoy me with their 'that's normal' attitude. You could take a car that had the engine on fire and they'd say it's normal and throw a wet cloth over it.  

47 minutes ago, misnad said:

1) One of my Continental MC6’s developed a bulge due to damage from the inside - guessing one of those nasty potholes did it. A single tyre is 109k and hence replaced two on the axle with Yokohama ES32 for 56k each. So I’ve got one MC6 used for a year (under 10,000km for sure) available for sale if anyone wants it.

2) The agent ruined my AC system by mixing r134a with r1234yf. I had to drive with the AC set to like 20C to feel any reasonable cooling at low fan. Used to have it at 23C before. Took it elsewhere and found a leak in the condenser (yes, the second one). Got it replaced and they converted to r134a entirely. Now I need to keep the AC at 19C or it’s warm. Total mess up. This hullabaloo cost me 69k. 

3) According to the agent, I’ve sprung a little oil leak that is common for all FK models above 40k km on the clock. Said it’ll cost 120k to fix and will take an entire day or more. Funny enough, I didn’t seem to have this before the service there about 3 weeks ago and they even changed the CVT fluid.

4) My suspension is really weird. It’s got my car wobbling sideways now when I go over bumps or holes. And gosh the ride is soooo stiff. According to the agent, that’s normal and is a signature of Civics. I know it wasn’t this bad before. Funny thing is one of the service advisors called me after the service and said that my shock mounts need replacing. When I went later to get that checked and done, they were like “nobody mentioned anything” and “all the shocks are perfect”.

5) During the service, I had to change my rear brake pads as they were worn off. Didn’t have a choice and it was really late that day plus didn’t want to take a risk so got it done at the agent. 76k for the rear pads alone.

6) Scratched by passenger side mirror on a tree at Tea Avenue thanks to the security chap there and his marvelous directions. Was dark so couldn’t see crap. Supposed to be about 8k to paint it.

Sorry for your misfortunes with the car. I had AC condenser leak and got it replaced at the place next to Nawalanka in Dehiwala. I also replaced the shock when I bought it, as it had both rear shocks leaking oil. (by the way, I repaired it and kept it in case we run out without spares. Goodyear tyres are said to be around 40k at Carguys, Kohuwala who gave me 4 of those for 107k begining of last year. 

38 minutes ago, matroska said:

it's pretty disappointing that the agent did this. 

The st##ford folk genuinely annoy me with their 'that's normal' attitude. You could take a car that had the engine on fire and they'd say it's normal and throw a wet cloth over it.  

Is that the new way of saying “common issue in this model” 🤣?

3 hours ago, misnad said:

The oil leak at 40k is pretty normal. I don't service at Stafford and had the same issue sorted out. Maybe you'd better get a second opinion on the suspension? Mine is also well over 40k and is still very compliant. Could it be your new tyres are harder than the previous ones that's why it feels stiff.

• 4 months later...
On 9/8/2019 at 9:06 PM, GWX777 said:

If it's not handled carefull

On 10/26/2023 at 9:33 PM, RWD said:

The oil leak at 40k is pretty normal. I don't service at Stafford and had the same issue sorted out. Maybe you'd better get a second opinion on the suspension? Mine is also well over 40k and is still very compliant. Could it be your new tyres are harder than the previous ones that's why it feels stiff.

On 10/26/2023 at 6:04 PM, misnad said:

I think if you have proof , you can claim for legal action.

Ok there’s something really wrong with the suspension system now. The car tends to fishtail as well as “skid” sideways when encountering small bumps or metal manhole covers on the roads at cruising speed. Happens on both front and rear so it can’t be the tyres. Pretty scary since I seem to lose control of the vehicle in that instant. Going to take it to Hybrid Hub or Stafford at Maradana to check it out. The chaps at Rattanapitiya are beyond useless.

• Confused 1

On 3/5/2024 at 5:05 PM, misnad said:

Ok there’s something really wrong with the suspension system now. The car tends to fishtail as well as “skid” sideways when encountering small bumps or metal manhole covers on the roads at cruising speed. Happens on both front and rear so it can’t be the tyres. Pretty scary since I seem to lose control of the vehicle in that instant. Going to take it to Hybrid Hub or Stafford at Maradana to check it out. The chaps at Rattanapitiya are beyond useless.

Did you find a solution to your problem?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 5:05 PM, misnad said:

I Had this issue on highways while driving over metal seperators where bridges and roads connect. this was when the original tyres started peeling off.

Once the tyres were changed - all good to date.

On 3/12/2024 at 5:38 PM, RWD said:

Did you find a solution to your problem?

Not yet. Couldn’t get much time due to work :(. Taking the car for servicing next week so fingers crossed these chaps find what’s wrong. Oh and I had to also top up quite a bit of engine oil after a while. Looks like that oil leaking issue has compounded itself.

On 3/25/2024 at 3:02 PM, misnad said:

Not yet. Couldn’t get much time due to work :(. Taking the car for servicing next week so fingers crossed these chaps find what’s wrong. Oh and I had to also top up quite a bit of engine oil after a while. Looks like that oil leaking issue has compounded itself.

Ok so I took the car to Hybrid Hub for a service as the agent was absolutely useless. Got my favored choice of engine oil too: Castrol Edge 5W-30 A5. Just realized the agent was using Motul 0W20 C5 all along.

Re: my woes, there was a service advisor named Akalanka who explained things very well. He took about 20min to go through these with me.

1) Brakes: calipers were getting stuck and I need to replace the front pads. He was surprised they wore off this fast and it looks like even the rear pads that were recently changed seem to have worn unevenly, thereby eating into the brake discs. The rear discs have worn quite a bit so they can’t re-face it. In any case, I need to book a separate session to get this fixed with a possible brake fluid bleed as well. Not enough time to do it with the service. The brakes still don’t seem to work right and I need to push the pedal down quite a bit.

2) Oil leak: it’s leaking between the engine and gearbox and is a common issue. Recommended to get this fixed at the next service since it’s a 2-day affair that shouldn’t be rushed. Estimate is around 100k.

3) Suspension: the links are not snapping back into place after a movement for some reason and there isn’t any visible damage (grease leaking, etc.). The shocks themselves are alright though. Need to book some time to get these removed entirely and checked + replaced.

4) Battery: the report came out bad and was advised to check for a different brand of battery apart from Amaron for longevity. They suggested Yuasa from DSL, but not sure if they have EFB ones. Anyway, my idle stop isn’t working anymore so this needs changing in a little while. Last time I changed it was in 2022.

So.. it looks like I need to pace my repairs as they will end up being very expensive.

4 hours ago, misnad said:

Ok so I took the car to Hybrid Hub for a service as the agent was absolutely useless. Got my favored choice of engine oil too: Castrol Edge 5W-30 A5. Just realized the agent was using Motul 0W20 C5 all along.

Re: my woes, there was a service advisor named Akalanka who explained things very well. He took about 20min to go through these with me.

1) Brakes: calipers were getting stuck and I need to replace the front pads. He was surprised they wore off this fast and it looks like even the rear pads that were recently changed seem to have worn unevenly, thereby eating into the brake discs. The rear discs have worn quite a bit so they can’t re-face it. In any case, I need to book a separate session to get this fixed with a possible brake fluid bleed as well. Not enough time to do it with the service. The brakes still don’t seem to work right and I need to push the pedal down quite a bit.

2) Oil leak: it’s leaking between the engine and gearbox and is a common issue. Recommended to get this fixed at the next service since it’s a 2-day affair that shouldn’t be rushed. Estimate is around 100k.

3) Suspension: the links are not snapping back into place after a movement for some reason and there isn’t any visible damage (grease leaking, etc.). The shocks themselves are alright though. Need to book some time to get these removed entirely and checked + replaced.

4) Battery: the report came out bad and was advised to check for a different brand of battery apart from Amaron for longevity. They suggested Yuasa from DSL, but not sure if they have EFB ones. Anyway, my idle stop isn’t working anymore so this needs changing in a little while. Last time I changed it was in 2022.

So.. it looks like I need to pace my repairs as they will end up being very expensive.

Aight Imma say it: the amount of repairs and the cost you end up having to eat sound quite excessive for a 6-year-old Japanese car in all honesty... is she worth all this trouble and cost? There is also the issue of a potential timing belt failure

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Aight Imma say it: the amount of repairs and the cost you end up having to eat sound quite excessive for a 6-year-old Japanese car in all honesty... is she worth all this trouble and cost? There is also the issue of a potential timing belt failure

Still love the car, but she’s a gold-digger alright! Ugh yes the dreaded timing belt… hopefully I don’t get that little surprise too. So far the belt was mentioned as good.

Has anyone else had their brake pads wear out so quickly though? It’s ridiculous that it only lasts like 3-4 years despite such low mileage. Might’ve had better luck with 3rd party pads than the stock ones, I guess!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, misnad said:

Has anyone else had their brake pads wear out so quickly though? It’s ridiculous that it only lasts like 3-4 years despite such low mileage.

Putting a side brake-pad materials, quality of the pads, etc...rate of wear is more dependent on driving style than it is on mileage. If you are heavy on the brakes and constant braker, then, irrespective of the mileage, the pads are going to wear off. 

Having said that I do have to side with @Hyaenidae on this. It does seem like an awful lot of niggles for a 6 year old Honda. Especially with such a low mileage and what seems to be a cared for car as well. I wonder if the non-1000cc Civics are also having the same level of niggles come up (and I mean actual issues and not the whole "known to", "possibly can" situations which every engine on the planet has but actual things that do happen). I suppose it is a case of "gone are the good old days".

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 9:14 PM, misnad said:

Has anyone else had their brake pads wear out so quickly though? It’s ridiculous that it only lasts like 3-4 years

I assume you do a lot of city driving? if my memory serves me correct yours is the sonic-grey one that's there in the office parking lot at Dematagoda? Break pads do wear out relatively soon. I've gone with Brembo for my 2nd set. Also the braking on this model is next level. Maybe a trade-off :D 

On 3/27/2024 at 6:00 PM, Hyaenidae said:

is she worth all this trouble and cost?

Well yeah - It's always a matter of choice isn't it? I mean I've had to replace the A/C condenser at just 3 years into ownership (that's more to do with the gas and the local conditions). If we look at the fairly newish models (less than 10 years) all the variants available in Sri Lanka have some sort of niggle - Aquas,Axios,Vezels,Graces,Fits (and the Tiny turbo-engined Euro's.) If you want to have a taste of a newish car with some bells whistles some fancy techie bits and good driving dynamics, (yes the 1L turbo and CVT combo is nothing to write home about but throw this into a winding road , sharp bends and you'll be grinning ear to ear) , is still budget friendlier than a euro to maintain, returns acceptable fuel figures( albeit on octane 95), and doubles up as a very practical family car - the choices are rather limited

On 3/28/2024 at 7:50 AM, iRage said:

I wonder if the non-1000cc Civics are also having the same level of niggles come up (and I mean actual issues and not the whole "known to", "possibly can" situations which every engine on the planet has but actual things that do happen). I suppose it is a case of "gone are the good old days".

AFAIK  the 1.5 L Variant does not have this belt issue.  - the 1.0 engine is a wet belt.

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:31 AM, tinyman said:

Guys what is your infortainment wallpaper.. I use this, I think I got it from CivicX site

Honda Civic circuit with H.jpg

mine is a pic of the car itself that I took :D 

1 hour ago, matroska said:

Well yeah - It's always a matter of choice isn't it? I mean I've had to replace the A/C condenser at just 3 years into ownership (that's more to do with the gas and the local conditions).

AFAIK  the 1.5 L Variant does not have this belt issue.  - the 1.0 engine is a wet belt.

Well if it's worth it that's all that matters, the most reliable car in the world wouldn't be worth it if it doesn't make you "grin ear to ear" after all 😇