• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project - 1969 Mitsubishi Jeep 4DR5 (J24)

fiat fan

Hi guys. 

Hope Corona has not affected anybody.  

we were not planning on buying a Mitsubishi Jeep at all. But corona had us at home, so me and my brothers decided to get one and restore it. Finding one proved difficult,most have bad documents and ALL of them with open papers. Service records are non existent. Badly rusted and abused the hell out. But the demand seems to be heavy. Even the rust buckets went fast for insane prices. Most Jeeps are HEAVILY overpriced and covered up. Many of them had “sale paints” And big tires to fool the buyer.

We went through the clasifieds for almost 2 months and checked close to 25 vehicles all over the country. Expensive to do so, as the mechanic had to be with us to check,etc.  Finally landed on this. Its a J24 short wheel base safari model. Pre-facelift  model. We went for this because it was pre 1971, it needs no eco test and the condition was satisfactory for the price. It needs much love though.

The Jeep went straight to the garage from sellers house and is being done up as of now. I will update the list of things to be done and what our plans are.also pics will be shared. I am currently away from the country, so I'm waiting on my bro for updates.

suggestions and opinions welcome!

Just doing my part to get back AL from Thel higannas and other cheapos.

Edit.added plans on top post for future reference!

So my plans for the Jeep is as follows,

1. New radiator and cooling system restore & re clean. 

2. Switch to coolant.

3. Brakes are being changed. Liners/pads and the full works.

4. Full 4wd system overhaul. 

5. Clutch pack/whatever necessary is being changed.

6. Tires are being changed. Will not go for huge tires/rims because this will actively be used for heavy off-roading  around the island. Will go for mud tires in the same sizing.

7. Wheels will be resprayed in silver(original color).

8. Rear and front lights will be changed (except the front headlights).

9. The rust is bare minimum and the paint is mostly excellent, so we will be dealing with rust and a respray over the bad areas.

10. Seats are being replaced and been done up in Synthetic Leather. Rear seats will be redone in original specs. Not the bench type. Will post pics as I go.

11. New double layer Canopy with openings on the sides. Full black. 

12. AC is being installed.

13.Full service with ALL the Oils and Filters change. 

14. interior meters will be restored to work and other switches/lights will also be fixed.

15. New steering wheel.

16.re carpeting of the full interior.

will have more stuff to be done as we go. 

Engine,Gearbox and Chassis is perfect. Engine needs a paint on top though. Any mechanicals needed are being done in one go. Nothing is being spared on the running aspect.

846AF96B-5555-4BC5-9C45-07379C9E250C.jpeg

Edited by fiat fan
Added plans on top post.
  • Like 8

31 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

Hi guys. 

we were not planning on buying a Mitsubishi Jeep at all. But corona had us at home, so me and my brothers decided to get one and restore it. Finding one proved difficult,most have bad documents and ALL of them with open papers. Service records are non existent. Badly rusted and abused the hell out. But the demand seems to be heavy. Even the rust buckets went fast for insane prices. Most Jeeps are HEAVILY overpriced and covered up. Many of them had “sale paints” And big tires to fool the buyer.

We went through the clasifieds for almost 2 months and checked close to 25 vehicles all over the country. Expensive to do so, as the mechanic had to be with us to check,etc.  Finally landed on this. Its a J24 short wheel base safari model. Pre-facelift  model. We went for this because it was pre 1971, it needs no eco test and the condition was satisfactory for the price. It needs much love though.

The Jeep went straight to the garage from sellers house and is being done up as of now. I will update the list of things to be done and what our plans are.also pics will be shared. I am currently away from the country, so I'm waiting on my bro for updates.

That's bloody awesome..

Here's my suggestions based on our KE72 restoration project and may not applicable for a Jeep.

How about starting with engine clean up by ending it to a place like Ediri*^ Brothers? While the engines out it allows to check the wiring job and fix the rust spots right? If you plan to off-road I'd say do a good treatment for rust protection and not spend too much on paint.

Is the condition of the radiator and the fan is good? Free of mud or any damages?

Looks like the previous owner already upgraded the wheel and tires and looks like it already have a lift?  Check the condition and may be upgrade them to get more flex out of it.

How the condition of the lights? Does it still have seal beams? If so I'd suggest to upgrade to new housing which you can put LEDs. In my opinion for reflector housing LEDs would work good and no need the hassle of getting HIDs.

Built in air compressor with fast inflating power also a handy tool. I have a portable air compressor and it takes like 30 minutes to inflate all 4 tires and I hate the wait. If you have a really good air compressor that allows you to upgrade to diff locks.

How is the condition of the auxiliary lights? Do they have proper wiring job done? Have LEDs (not old school halogens)? I like doing lighting job my self taking time to find good lights, wires and good looking switches. I also use wire condutes and insulate properly.

Those are few things came in to mind and my ideas might sound like stupid. But just wanted to see that thing looking good and in excellent condition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fiat fan said:

Hi guys. 

Looking forward to following this restoration! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

That's bloody awesome..

Here's my suggestions based on our KE72 restoration project and may not applicable for a Jeep.

How about starting with engine clean up by ending it to a place like Ediri*^ Brothers? While the engines out it allows to check the wiring job and fix the rust spots right? If you plan to off-road I'd say do a good treatment for rust protection and not spend too much on paint.

Is the condition of the radiator and the fan is good? Free of mud or any damages?

Looks like the previous owner already upgraded the wheel and tires and looks like it already have a lift?  Check the condition and may be upgrade them to get more flex out of it.

How the condition of the lights? Does it still have seal beams? If so I'd suggest to upgrade to new housing which you can put LEDs. In my opinion for reflector housing LEDs would work good and no need the hassle of getting HIDs.

Built in air compressor with fast inflating power also a handy tool. I have a portable air compressor and it takes like 30 minutes to inflate all 4 tires and I hate the wait. If you have a really good air compressor that allows you to upgrade to diff locks.

How is the condition of the auxiliary lights? Do they have proper wiring job done? Have LEDs (not old school halogens)? I like doing lighting job my self taking time to find good lights, wires and good looking switches. I also use wire condutes and insulate properly.

Those are few things came in to mind and my ideas might sound like stupid. But just wanted to see that thing looking good and in excellent condition.

Thanks for the detailed explanation bro. I just updated my original post with the plans for it.

The engine was done up recently by the seller. We have given the vehicle to an independent 4DR expert. He is taking apart everything on the mechanical aspect. Yes we plan to do off roading, my brother is a big adventure guy and regularly goes on trips out there. We used our L200 all this time, but it takes a heavy beating. Plus that being common rail diesel doesn’t help. So we are obsessed with the mechanicals.

Lights will be changed late into the project. We plan to keep it mostly stock. Only the absolute modern components will be fitted.

suggestions always welcome. Thank you  

• Like 1

Enjoy some pics.

Our neighbors are like “ai malli 2016 L200 ekak tyeddi oka gatte? Pinance hira welada ? Leda wadi ne owala. Thel bausar “ ??

58402E49-F804-4E31-AA75-8B5C21AAE735.jpeg

84ABD440-C6BE-446E-8507-06AD382E5624.jpeg

FD14A74F-821F-4454-9A1E-B8794EEB423D.png

Edited by fiat fan
Added pic
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

The stock system has been fully changed. Since we are not going for them huge tires,

or a lift. It might suffice, if not will convert to Disks. Trying hard to keep things stock. Because all retrofits are from vans and Lorry’s. 

32 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

The stock system has been fully changed. Since we are not going for them huge tires,

or a lift. It might suffice, if not will convert to Disks. Trying hard to keep things stock. Because all retrofits are from vans and Lorry’s. 

Ah ! Cool...All the best with the project!

Edited by Kavvz
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Hi guys. 

Congratulations on the new project !!! My dream list also includes restoring a jeep. As it is a dream, willing to see your project progress in the real world. Keep update us continuously.

• Thanks 1

Ok guys. Sorry for the lack of updates. As I am away I have no access to pics and progress daily.

The Jeep is out of the garage after a Heavy mechanical refresh. It is currently in the paint shop. 

She's starting to look.

The list of stuff that was done in the garage  is looong,but soo satisfying.

I'll leave a teaser...

Number will be revealed after the retro plates are fitted in.

IMG-110ae2feafc49d66dd1012e81873aab3-V.jpg

Edited by fiat fan
Added info
  • Like 3

So the list that’s being done up-to now.

Changed Radiator and switched to coolant.

changed Brake liners/pads/lines etc.Literary new brake system.

Changed Clutch “packs”  ,cables,etc.

New handbrake cable and all new handbrake components.

Full 4WD system overhauled. New differential.

Rear Lights replaced.

Fuel tank removed, cleaned, and floater replaced.

Fuel meter is fixed.

Batteries Serviced and charged.

All bulbs changed. No LEDs, good ol halogen.

All meters/lights/warning lights are up and running. All of them.

Cost 78k for them all, not bad huh?

Few more. Cant remember ? will update as I go.

Sorry for not having pics. But hopefully anybody restoring a Mitsubishi Jeep will find this useful.

• Like 2

fiat fan,

When I read list of things you have done, I think it is cheap as for today's cost due to high cost of our mechanics charges.Unless DIY.

Where do you have the baby for me to have a look, if you permit. Because good old days did not have complicated advanced technology on them. Most of our technicians can handle repairs without any difficul

Only If the vehicle is within 25 to 50 Kilo meters close to Colombo. As my old age 76+ do not permit me long distance traveling.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Awesome!!!  Any reason to specifically go for a Mitsubishi and not a similar vintage Land Cruiser? I`d so LOVE to resto-mod a BJ40, but that`s a distant dream with time/logistical/man-power concerns.  ?

Do you guys prefer a safari over a hard-top or is it because that`s what you found? 

On 7/25/2020 at 1:33 PM, Sylvi said:

fiat fan,

When I read list of things you have done, I think it is cheap as for today's cost due to high cost of our mechanics charges.Unless DIY.

Where do you have the baby for me to have a look, if you permit. Because good old days did not have complicated advanced technology on them. Most of our technicians can handle repairs without any difficul

Only If the vehicle is within 25 to 50 Kilo meters close to Colombo. As my old age 76+ do not permit me long distance traveling.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

You sure can Mr Sylvi. I am out of the country,but my brother lives in Colombo 5. If I am not mistaken you live in Colombo 3. I will ask him to come to see you. The work is planned to be done by the 15th August. I will PM you as soon as it's done!

About the simplicity, very true. Just the good ol mechanicals,no complicated screens and tech. A basic set of tools would do the job for most repairs. Very hardy and robust.

10 hours ago, varotone said:

Here's to a great project:food-smiley-004:

Did it already change colors or is it the lighting?

You replaced radiator, differential, brakes and a whole bunch of stuff for 78k? I've seen 4DR reconditioned parts go for insanely high prices.

Keeping it the color as is. Just refreshing it.

The parts were new. Didn't go for any used items. The used market is high and crazy.

Our A6s 10k miles service cost 67 ?

Gotta love these old school machines. They dont drain your wallet.

Members,

Little memories I have on Jeeps in Ceylon. This I should post to the page, requested by the moderators to write, still I post because jeep subject is disused above.

During my young days Ceylon did not have many Japanese vehicles. Almost all jeeps available in the country was American Willis Jeeps, they were sold in Army auctions. I cannot remember any exclusive agent in Ceylon in 1950. Many motor spare parts dealers imported spares for them. Ms, Bogala Motors imported all electrical spares for them. They also had plenty of engine spares, Pistons, Piston rings Gaskets many others for the WW2 and post WW2 models.

Many parts of USA jeeps were fitted to UK vehicles, some spares our mechanics were able to fix them without any difficulty. Innovative mechanics fixed them with few modifications.

Most Peugeot Diesel vehicles came to Sri Lanka after 1970 I did a modification to starting problem they had due to a inherited problem on early Peugeot Diesel engines. Few hundred vehicles were imported and given to Transport contractors, Planters, Industrialists and few others who were close to then Government. They were the first new vehicles came to Sri Lanka with Alternators. Our Auto Electricians were not used to alternators, what they did was fixing 12 Volts UK make dynamos.

At that time all leading spare part dealers did not have any spares for Alternators. Like Diode plates, Regulators Alternator slip ring brushes. Later Auto alternators came with Electronic regulators inbuilt. Lucas of UK had few alternators with a Electronic regulator can be fitted outside.

Above is very little I remember mostly on my specialty during past era before switching to another modern technology in Automobiles.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, MrCat said:

Awesome!!!  Any reason to specifically go for a Mitsubishi and not a similar vintage Land Cruiser? I`d so LOVE to resto-mod a BJ40, but that`s a distant dream with time/logistical/man-power concerns.  ?

Do you guys prefer a safari over a hard-top or is it because that`s what you found? 

I was initially going to buy a Jeep Cj/Cb/willys. But they all have shady books and abused copies for sale. A BJ is awesome, but expensive and time consuming. The Mitsubishi Jeep is pretty common and easy on parts. Next up I would like a sahara 80. Or a Nissan Patrol.

• Like 1

fiat fan,

Please request your brother to call me on 0712222420, 0112573690, 0115657600. Or send me a Email to [[email protected]}. I have a hearing difficulty (Due to my old age 77+ . After spending 100,000 to a hearing aid dealer in Colombo it is not working satisfactory) due to that mostly I miss calls on my mobile. Some times my assistants pick the call and inform me to call back. I all-ways answer missed calls later.

Thank you for your post.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sylvi said:

fiat fan,

Please request your brother to call me on 0712222420, 0112573690, 0115657600. Or send me a Email to [[email protected]}. I have a hearing difficulty (Due to my old age 77+ . After spending 100,000 to a hearing aid dealer in Colombo it is not working satisfactory) due to that mostly I miss calls on my mobile. Some times my assistants pick the call and inform me to call back. I all-ways answer missed calls later.

Thank you for your post.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

I will do that. Take care.