• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cool Ebay Gadgets For Cars

cha

vs bright white light from lower mounted fog lights / driving lights may be counter productive if you drive a lot on side roads in the early morning or evening and need a lot of light to illuminate any ruts in the road. In that scenario I feel the yellowish light wont help you too much, but then again yellow light would probably be handy at dawn or sunset when everything is blue-ish. 'Ruslan' are you able to provide some input on this particular scenario>?

Got Fog Breakers from this fellow, http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/ecworking .couldnt found any Euro sellers for this as Fog breakers were manufactured only in Chinese or Taiwanese factories.

Yes, used them during sunset (Evenings) and road were illuminated nicely. but particularly useful during rainy weather where light beam penetration is far better than "whitey" bulbs.

Edited by Ruslan
  • Like 1

Got Fog Breakers from this fellow, http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/ecworking .couldnt found any Euro sellers for this as Fog breakers were manufactured only in Chinese or Taiwanese factories.

Yes, used them during sunset (Evenings) and road were illuminated nicely. but particularly useful during rainy weather where light beam penetration is far better than "whitey" bulbs.

Hi Ruslan,

While I value your feedback, one of the forums I follow (candlepowerforums.com) indicates that this product may not be genuine, but hey if it works well then that's fine. I don't mean to take anything away from your post, plus those guys may not know what they are talking about (its just a forum!) ;)

Hi Ruslan,

It seems like the science is behind you as well on your finding where yellow fog lights / yellow selective light is of particular value in bad weather and at dusk ( and I presume by extension, dawn) when there is more blue light. So from that point of you are onto a good thing, which makes me want to try it out too.

For those interested: A particularly good (albeit long) breakdown of some of the research backing that up can be found here. For those who will take my word for it: Yellow selective light is easier for our optical nerves to process. The end. :D

Edited by Kavvz

Hi Ruslan,

While I value your feedback, one of the forums I follow (candlepowerforums.com) indicates that this product may not be genuine, but hey if it works well then that's fine. I don't mean to take anything away from your post, plus those guys may not know what they are talking about (its just a forum!) ;)

Hey, Nothing to worry, even i came across that article you posted. Reason i guess they are not sold in Either US or Europe because they are not street Legal. :)

• Like 1

Hi Ruslan,

Hi Kavvz.

I have both Osram Fog Breaker 2600k (for fogs) and Osram Night Breaker Unlimited (for low beam) fitted in my car. Fog breaker was made in china and the Night Breaker was made in Germany (Ordered from a UK seller in eBay). They both have the exact same high quality packaging and build quality. On the Fog breaker box they have mentioned something along the lines of "Street illegal/off-road only".

• Like 1

What is the quickest way to bring down these bulbs from ebay,

My headlights have burned off and need replacing.

Any recommendation for a santafe 2008 H7 type bulbes.

I prefer HIDs for the dim and a high powered yellow light for the full.

Edited by Clark's son

lol!! At least they are honest about THAT!

Yeah, absolutely, non-branded HID kits with dubious quality controls are totally suspect. I'm comparing OEM HID to OEM Halogen: The off-road Oshram's were I think as good as halogens get, but that's still not as good as what an OEM HID setup gives you as Oshram 65w Rallye H7 claims to = 2100 lumens Vs the typical OEM HID bulb output which is close to 3000 lumens. Plus as you point out the light from HID / Xenon headlights is whiter so they would look exceptionally brighter to the naked eye over the output of a halogen bulb even if they had the same lumen output.

Those OEM HID kits are pretty expensive, last time I checked the Phillips HID bulbs for my Hiace cost around Rs12,500 on eBay, I think they are close to Rs 20,000 from Japan thats just bulb without the ballasts and rest of the wiring. Also I think I saw Toyota written on the ballasts. By the way does Osram make ballasts?

345y88o.jpg

Pretty much the same stamp mark on your set.

Please do recommend a good HID retrofit, or an eBay seller,

Hahahaha looks like these Chinese fellows still haven't learnt to print the model code properly :P

Got down h3 cree 5000k led set with heat sink for low beams. They are no way near to 5000k cheap HIDs that was there before. So reverted back to old HIDs and wasted 7k on that experiment.

I was interested in those LED bulbs then i did some research and found out that they are no good.

Actually theres no such thing as penetration, its that yellow color is more visible to your eyes than white, blue color light beam is even more harder to see.

Hi Ruslan,

It seems like the science is behind you as well on your finding where yellow fog lights / yellow selective light is of particular value in bad weather and at dusk ( and I presume by extension, dawn) when there is more blue light. So from that point of you are onto a good thing, which makes me want to try it out too.

For those interested: A particularly good (albeit long) breakdown of some of the research backing that up can be found here. For those who will take my word for it: Yellow selective light is easier for our optical nerves to process. The end. :D

Yep yellow color light is the next best one after red, hence why red is used as brake light

Hi Kavvz.

I have both Osram Fog Breaker 2600k (for fogs) and Osram Night Breaker Unlimited (for low beam) fitted in my car. Fog breaker was made in china and the Night Breaker was made in Germany (Ordered from a UK seller in eBay). They both have the exact same high quality packaging and build quality. On the Fog breaker box they have mentioned something along the lines of "Street illegal/off-road only".

I think fog breakers are illegal in EU, I couldn't find a single seller from EU selling fog breakers on eBay, By the way I think theres an Asian division for Osram which makes fog breakers.

You burnt both high beam and low beam at the same time? that too on both sides? If you pay extra you can get them shipped in about a week or within a week.

• Like 1

Got down h3 cree 5000k led set with heat sink for low beams. They are no way near to 5000k cheap HIDs that was there before. So reverted back to old HIDs and wasted 7k on that experiment.

Thanks for your input on this, I would have done the same if not otherwise

Im using fog breakers for my cars fogs. It does penetrate better during rain and slight fog. With extreme vision, must say its a great combination.

Well nice to see that we have members who have input on things that matter, rather than winker mirrors and scuff plates

Fair enough. Alternatively you could throw your question up on the http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php forum and see if anyone else is running the same setup and can offer feedback or suggestions.

Never tried Osram fog breakers before but I'm intrigued enough to give them a try if I can get them at a good price. Let me know if you find a good source...

(I revert to using plain old polarized sunglasses in the rain and fog during the day, which although seems weird and counter productive due to the reduced light, they actually let me see further down the road due to the increased contrast / reduced glare from the lights bouncing back off water droplets but that little trick is useless when the light fades...)

The only drawback I see to the fog breakers is that: The yellow fog lights vs bright white light from lower mounted fog lights / driving lights may be counter productive if you drive a lot on side roads in the early morning or evening and need a lot of light to illuminate any ruts in the road. In that scenario I feel the yellowish light wont help you too much, but then again yellow light would probably be handy at dawn or sunset when everything is blue-ish. 'Ruslan' are you able to provide some input on this particular scenario>?

Hi Kavvz.

The whole unavailability in UK and Not Eu legal thing sounded like a Chinese scam at the time, If I had seen your input earlier I would have definitely invested on the fog breakers

Those OEM HID kits are pretty expensive, last time I checked the Phillips HID bulbs for my Hiace cost around Rs12,500 on eBay, I think they are close to Rs 20,000 from Japan thats just bulb without the ballasts and rest of the wiring. Also I think I saw Toyota written on the ballasts. By the way does Osram make ballasts?

Hahahaha looks like these Chinese fellows still haven't learnt to print the model code properly :P

I was interested in those LED bulbs then i did some research and found out that they are no good.

Actually theres no such thing as penetration, its that yellow color is more visible to your eyes than white, blue color light beam is even more harder to see.

Yep yellow color light is the next best one after red, hence why red is used as brake light

I think fog breakers are illegal in EU, I couldn't find a single seller from EU selling fog breakers on eBay, By the way I think theres an Asian division for Osram which makes fog breakers.

You burnt both high beam and low beam at the same time? that too on both sides? If you pay extra you can get them shipped in about a week or within a week.

So thanks again for your input guys, I already invested on a set of Nightbreaker Unlimited (HB4 9006) Putting out approx 1000 lumens at 3500-4000K / 50w ($35)

I do have regrets on not going HID but as I said the fog lamps are very poorly accessible in my vehicle and therefore I need a reliable solution rather than replace ballasts and bulbs time to time. As for the fog breakers sadly I misjudged hem to be some fake lineage and went onto purchase the costlier nightbreaker ultimate which I already have in my headlamps, well atleast the color will match :)

For those interested, ebay seller "RU-parts" and "ecworking" have the fog breakers at $29-35 / w free shipping

Edited by tiv

No they don't make any after-market HID conversion kits (or ballasts) so if you see any marked Osram-Sylvania: Its fake.

And yes, original OEM components are expensive. Its no different when it comes to lighting; you've got to send some money to get your hands on the good stuff, but you already knew that...right? ;)

Edited by Kavvz

Might as well buy a cheap set till an ebay pair arrive as they tend to push beyond 2 weeks with premium shipping and 3 weeks or more with basic shipping

Well nice to see that we have members who have input on things that matter, rather than winker mirrors and scuff plates

The whole unavailability in UK and Not Eu legal thing sounded like a Chinese scam at the time, If I had seen your input earlier I would have definitely invested on the fog breakers

So thanks again for your input guys, I already invested on a set of Nightbreaker Unlimited (HB4 9006) Putting out approx 1000 lumens at 3500-4000K / 50w ($35)

I do have regrets on not going HID but as I said the fog lamps are very poorly accessible in my vehicle and therefore I need a reliable solution rather than replace ballasts and bulbs time to time. As for the fog breakers sadly I misjudged hem to be some fake lineage and went onto purchase the costlier nightbreaker ultimate which I already have in my headlamps, well atleast the color will match :)

For those interested, ebay seller "RU-parts" and "ecworking" have the fog breakers at $29-35 / w free shipping

Yeah this thread actually became quite informative all of a sudden: Kudos to the posters, and its nice to meet another bugger who appreciates good lighting.

H4's are a good choice for your fog's if they are in an awkward spot, for despite the lower lumen, the burn out rate on those bulbs is quite low. I don't know what is in my fog lights but I bet are they something like H4's too. Going by the dispersion pattern for fog-lights; they don't need to project far out, just down and out to the sides to light up ruts and what's immediately in front of the car. I am tempted to switch them out however, for some selective yellow bulbs like 'Ruslan' since it seems to be a better setup for rain/fog based on his feedback which was verified by what I could dig up on-line on the subject.

Edited by Kavvz

Thanks,

Actually the full beam burned some time ago in one side,

didn't care much at it was a 2nd car and it was a daytime runner to work.

Then the dim went in the opposite side :(

Upto now i have only used economy shipping comes in around 4-6weeks will the other option come in 1 week

if so i'll go for that.

Might as well buy a cheap set till an ebay pair arrive as they tend to push beyond 2 weeks with premium shipping and 3 weeks or more with basic shipping

Thanks,

Actually we have 2 other vehicles and we rarely go out at night so this is mainly used in the day time so 1-2 weeks will not be an issue,

but if it takes loner (economy shipping time, should consider this)

Yeah this thread actually became quite informative all of a sudden: Kudos to the posters, and its nice to meet another bugger who appreciates good lighting.

H4's are a good choice for your fog's if they are in an awkward spot, for despite the lower lumen, the burn out rate on those bulbs is quite low. I don't know what is in my fog lights but I bet are they something like H4's too. Going by the dispersion pattern for fog-lights; they don't need to project far out, just down and out to the sides to light up ruts and what's immediately in front of the car. I am tempted to switch them out however, for some selective yellow bulbs like 'Ruslan' since it seems to be a better setup for rain/fog based on his feedback which was verified by what I could dig up on-line on the subject.

Ok guys, Managed to grab some pics on the Actual setup, (Pardon for the quality as it not that great since it's from my phone)

With Just Fog Breakers

IMG_0996.jpg

With Just Extreme Visions (Low Beam)

IMG_0998.jpg

With Both Extreme Vision (Low Beams) + Fog Breakers

IMG_1002.jpg

Edited by Ruslan
  • Like 1

Don't worry about the lumens being lil less than other bulb types, its cuz HB4 is fog lamp bulb, I got the same thing and its a great improvement over stock.

No they don't make any after-market HID conversion kits (or ballasts) so if you see any marked Osram-Sylvania: Its fake.

And yes, original OEM components are expensive. Its no different when it comes to lighting; you've got to send some money to get your hands on the good stuff, but you already knew that...right? ;)

Yeah and quality pays off the high price

H4s are dual filament which has high and low beam, Im pretty sure your fog lamps aren't H4, it'll either be H3 or HB4. Older vehicles normally had H3 and newer ones seems to come with HB4

Thanks,

Actually the full beam burned some time ago in one side,

didn't care much at it was a 2nd car and it was a daytime runner to work.

Then the dim went in the opposite side :(

Upto now i have only used economy shipping comes in around 4-6weeks will the other option come in 1 week

if so i'll go for that.

Thanks,

Actually we have 2 other vehicles and we rarely go out at night so this is mainly used in the day time so 1-2 weeks will not be an issue,

but if it takes loner (economy shipping time, should consider this)

For my eBay shipping normally takes 3-4 weeks, at times only 2 weeks and I'm from Kandy. Send the seller a message ask how long it will take if you pay extra for shipping

6000LM CREE LED Car Headlight Kit 30W each

Apparently these dont need a kit, its plug and play. The bulb comes with an inbuilt cooling fan though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161678809330?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=460652866346&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

$_57.JPG

Bought a pair.[actually H4 holder]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261875758969?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am not sure that the same lumens as mentioned, anyway is brighter than the halogens.

But I have few problems.

1. could not fix the rubber boot.

2.Highbeam indicator in the dash board stopped illuminating after the installation.

3.Radio sounds low signal sho.. sound once I turn on the head lights.

Can you suggest me how to fix those problems..

Edited by luckey007

Thanks for your input on this, I would have done the same if not otherwise

What I bought was 55 $ , 6000 lumens set. There's another one with a fan costs 70 $. Still i don't think it will be a success. Anyway ordered fog breakers after going through the tread and will update on the results.

Bought a pair.[actually H4 holder].http://www.ebay.com/itm/261875758969?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT]http://www.ebay.com/itm/261875758969?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT[/url] I am not sure that the same lumens as mentioned, anyway is brighter than the halogens.

But I had few problems.

1. could not fix the rubber boot.

2.Highbeam indicator in the dash board stopped illuminating after the installation.

3.Radio sounds low signal sho.. sound once I turn on the head lights.

Can you suggest me how to fix those problems..

Sorry to hear it mate. I too had to improvise a bit to fix my existing dust cover . That disturbance to radio is could be due to electrical noise generated by leds. May be someone with expert knowledge will clarify it futher. That's another big drawback of these aftermarket leds. Edited by H.C
  • Like 1

Don't worry about the lumens being lil less than other bulb types, its cuz HB4 is fog lamp bulb, I got the same thing and its a great improvement over stock.

Yeah and quality pays off the high price

H4s are dual filament which has high and low beam, Im pretty sure your fog lamps aren't H4, it'll either be H3 or HB4. Older vehicles normally had H3 and newer ones seems to come with HB4

For my eBay shipping normally takes 3-4 weeks, at times only 2 weeks and I'm from Kandy. Send the seller a message ask how long it will take if you pay extra for shipping

I guess he meant HB4. Surprisingly the H3 has ~1.4 times the output of HB4 ( When it comes to Osram Night breaker)

Edited by NRX

I too wish they were h3, I have a set of WIPAC 8" fog lamps donated from my landy, mounted on the rear for better off road visibility when reversing, The one of the stock lights (h3) burnt off and I resorted to a Narva 100W bulb pair locally, and there was a 100% improvement, compared to how they were. H3 has so many options compared to Hb4

Sorry to hear it mate. I too had to improvise a bit to fix my existing dust cover . That disturbance to radio is could be due to electrical noise generated by leds. May be someone with expert knowledge will clarify it futher. That's another big drawback of these aftermarket leds.

In fact the distinct hissing sound from the radio could very well be due to noise generated by the switched mode power supply which controls the current fed to the LEDs. Unless the noise is suppressed at the very source which is of course internal to the kit, it would be very difficult to get rid of it completely.

• Like 1

In fact the distinct hissing sound from the radio could very well be due to noise generated by the switched mode power supply which controls the current fed to the LEDs. Unless the noise is suppressed at the very source which is of course internal to the kit, it would be very difficult to get rid of it completely.

The sound is different to different channels.. What if I cover the unit with a foil..

The sound is different to different channels.. What if I cover the unit with a foil..

You can try doing it but that would not guarantee a positive outcome. Once the RF interference leaks into the electrical system it is very difficult to suppress it along the way. Hence it is a must that you filter the noise at its source. There are other methods such as using inline EMI filters but this again amounts to modifying the wiring and that too on all three connections to the headlight. Best approach is to ignore it, if you can live with it.

You can hear SLBC chanels isn't it? . Those bulbs get hot in no time. So you have to consider it when covering the bulb or surrounding.

• Like 1