• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reupholstering Interior Panels

Davy

Thanks for the comments guys! Much appreciated! :)

You've done it again! Excellent writeup! Tell me more about where you bought the rexine; do they have a large selection and do they have vinyl (for seats) as well?

I basically did a sweep from the Pannipitiya through Delkanda and most of the shops were closed yesterday (I'm guessing 'cause of the new year). Since I went from shop to shop, I lost track of the place I bought this from, but it's a shop at Wijerama (close to the road to that leads to the J'Pura University). On the left as you travel from Maharagama towards Nugegoda.

This particular place had only a small collection of rexine, vinyl and stuff, but they had a lot of samples which can be purchased on request I guess. Luckily they had exactly what I was looking for. This place had a black sign board with red lettering in Sinhala that said "CUSION". Wonder if this is of any help, but that's all I can remember about the place. :P If I happen to pass the place, I'll let you know the name for sure.

Good write up Davy!. Really helpful. Did bit of reupholstering few months back on rear deck of my eg8. Learned few things hard way. I had difficulties in bonding the curved areas and fixing a plastic vent like part. Still have an issue with that plastic part. (Not bonding

Properly ). Any advice ?

Edited by H.C

Good write up Davy!. Really helpful. Did bit of reupholstering few months back on rear deck of my eg8. Learned few things hard way. I had difficulties in bonding the curved areas and fixing a plastic vent like part. Still have an issue with that plastic part. (Not bonding

Properly ). Any advice ?

Thanks H.C! What did you cover the panel with, was it fabric or rexine? Would be great if you could share a photo of the problem you're having so that I can get a better idea. But if you mean that the sharp edges don't stick to the panel, that's probably because you have not used enough glue on the surfaces. And the vent, do you mean the vent is not seating properly? Again, some pics would be really helpful.

Thanks H.C! What did you cover the panel with, was it fabric or rexine? Would be great if you could share a photo of the problem you're having so that I can get a better idea. But if you mean that the sharp edges don't stick to the panel, that's probably because you have not used enough glue on the surfaces. And the vent, do you mean the vent is not seating properly? Again, some pics would be really helpful.

Will upload few pics tomorrow. Yep,vent is not seating neatly and used more than enough glue( two large Multibond upholstering glue tins used). It was a black rexine.

Thanks mazdaspeed!

Will upload few pics tomorrow. Yep,vent is not seating neatly and used more than enough glue( two large Multibond upholstering glue tins used). It was a black rexine.

Maybe the edge of the rexine has a margin that is too wide that the plastic vent is unable to properly seat itself. Anyway, waiting for the pics.

It actually looks like you've done a good job there! However, I think I see a warped surface near the opening of the vent. By the looks of it, it looks like the vent itself is also a bit warped. Probably a result of it being exposed to the heat from the sun. Was this alright before you replaced the rexine?

Yep, surface is not that flat , but it was not bonding well even before I fixed the board to the car.(kept some heavy weight over night) Like crosswind said could be due to broken fittings. (There are plastic projections along the edge, but they are not holding it tightly. Anyway I'll have to remove this deck board to replace backup cam. Thanks for the tips to both of you. Will get back to you soon when it's removed from the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to capture some photos today. I learnt new and easy ways of wrapping the panel as I did this for the other doors as well.

- Cutting out a larger piece of rexine makes it possible to stretch it well because you can grab hold of the excess part and pull harder. The rexine does stretch more than we think it can.

- Staples can be used to anchor margins (on the reverse side of the panel) so that the glue does not come off while it's still wet. (this was my wife's idea :) )

- If you corner and leave hard the part to the end (parts that have a lot of sharp bends in the surface), you'll be gathering all the wrinkles there which will be even harder to paste. Start from one edge and work your way up to the other without leaving out parts.

- Get rid of wrinkles as soon as they appear. Leaving them thinking you'll get at them at the end will not work despite the use of a heat gun.

- When pasting across a sharp bend (say a 90 degree angle), apply glue upto the apex of the angle and paste the rexine. Let it dry for half an hour. Continue pasting after it has dried. The rexine will lift off the surface if it's pasted immediately accross a place where the surface bends sharply.

CAM00909_zps1efb3e55.JPG.511e00361e43169424abdd26cf3ce474.JPG

CAM00911_zps6c8308af.JPG.379e2950ab8f560e160086349fee812f.JPG

Three doors down (like the band), one to go! :)

Edited by Davy
Fixed broken image links
  • Like 6