• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Prius 3Rd Gen Vs Toyota Allion A18

alpha17

Question

Hi everyone!

One of my friends wants to go for a prius or an allion a18 under 4.5 mil.he had fd1 in the list but dumped the idea becoz of the bad fuel economy.he prefers a 1800cc engine becoz he wants a good pull than the 1500cc.he had been using an axio x before.so he asks me to get an advice for him from AL experts.

-he needs to know what has the best performance,specially the acceleration

-what is the comfiest

-which will handle the potholes and bumpy roads well

So plz give ur comments guy.that would be a big help for him

Cheers

Allion would be better in performance, comfort and handling bumpy roads than the Prius. But the fact that your friend decided not to go for the FD1 means he's just another guy whos concerned about fuel economy. FD1 and A18 are not much different in that area (of course u will hear lots of claims to the contrary but that's all bull)

• Like 2

Considering a hybrid with a conventional petrol vehicle is not at all a fare comparison, specially your friend is concerned about the fuel consumption. I would prefer Allion over Prius at any time. But as Crosswind clearly pointed out, Allion A18 and FDs don't have much of a difference in terms of fuel figures.

Go for the A18, obviously it wont do good on fuel as the prius, but on long out station trips, specially on highways it'll do good. Acceleration wise probably both are same, but the prius could be slightly better with that low-end torque. I had the A15 and for a car of that size the acceleration wasn't bad, specially when you put it to S mode. Handling and comfort, allion would be better also remember that the prius has much less ground clearance than the allion. For 4.5m you would be able to get a 2007/08 A18 or a 2011/12 Prius.

Why don't you consider going for allion A 15. It would be better on fuel than A 18. And it's acceleration is quite good comparing with a prius.

not to mention the fact that the A15 a lot cheaper too. Not sure about ground clearance but I assume the allion would do much better on bumpy roads. newer cars such as the aquas and fits are absolutely useless on bumpy roads.

Since you mentioned that he wants a car with more than 1500cc, you do realize that the prius is running an Atkinson cycle right?

Engine power is down 30 hp from the 1.8 allion

Thanks for ur replies.anyway civic is not the car for him as the fuel economy and ground clearance are not good.speacially in kegalle area.hills and bumps and everything.so it seems that allion is the best option

Ppl in this kinda situation (hills, bumps, ground clearance issues) usually go for a jeep. Or those cars masquerading as jeeps if size is an issue. Like the Terios/Rush kinda thing. Or (forgive me) the Panda Cross type.

I had the same issue, need to travel rough roads outstation, so got a jeep. Technically can go in the Proton, but when you need to load it up, or when it the road gets muddy and slushy for the rain, then jeep.

Those oversized cars like terios rush etc are ideal if bumpy roads are part of his daily commute but they are not that good when it comes to fuel consumption. (Even in suburban areas around Colombo there are many terrible roads where I wish I was driving a car with better ground clearance)

Go for the A18, obviously it wont do good on fuel as the prius, but on long out station trips, specially on highways it'll do good. Acceleration wise probably both are same, but the prius could be slightly better with that low-end torque. I had the A15 and for a car of that size the acceleration wasn't bad, specially when you put it to S mode. Handling and comfort, allion would be better also remember that the prius has much less ground clearance than the allion. For 4.5m you would be able to get a 2007/08 A18 or a 2011/12 Prius.
Why don't you consider going for allion A 15. It would be better on fuel than A 18. And it's acceleration is quite good comparing with a prius.

Two controversial ideas by asrock and sathyajithj99.

asrock - acceleration of both A18 and prius same but Prius could slightly better with low end torque

sathyajithj99 - even A15 acceleration is quite good comparing with Prius

The reality,

A15 - Engine 1NZ-FE - Output - 81.2 kW (109 hp) at 6000 rpm with 141 Nm (103 lb·ft) of torque at 4200 rpm

A18 - Engine 2ZR-FE - Output - 98 kW (132 hp) at 6000 rpm and 174 N·m (128 lb·ft) of torque at 4400 rpm

Prius 3rd - Engine combination 2ZR-FXE - Engine output -73 kW (98 hp) and 142 N·m (105 lb·ft) of torque,

paired with electric motor/generators in the hybrid drive system; together the engine and electric motors produce up to 100 kW (134 hp) and 207 N·m (153 lb·ft)

Technically, due to 60 kW motor support (motors are giving the max torque even in 0 rpm) Prius should be high in torque at low speed (need to switch off eco mode I guess) which need for acceleration.

Edited by gayanath

Two controversial ideas by asrock and sathyajithj99.

asrock - acceleration of both A18 and prius same but Prius could slightly better with low end torque

sathyajithj99 - even A15 acceleration is quite good comparing with Prius

The reality,

A15 - Engine 1NZ-FE - Output - 81.2 kW (109 hp) at 6000 rpm with 141 Nm (103 lb·ft) of torque at 4200 rpm

A18 - Engine 2ZR-FE - Output - 98 kW (132 hp) at 6000 rpm and 174 N·m (128 lb·ft) of torque at 4400 rpm

Prius 3rd - Engine combination 2ZR-FXE - Engine output -73 kW (98 hp) and 142 N·m (105 lb·ft) of torque,

paired with electric motor/generators in the hybrid drive system; together the engine and electric motors produce up to 100 kW (134 hp) and 207 N·m (153 lb·ft)

Technically, due to 60 kW motor support (motors are giving the max torque even in 0 rpm) Prius should be high in torque at low speed (need to switch off eco mode I guess) which need for acceleration.

We're comparing cars here, not engines or hybrid motors. Horsepower (hp) is measured at the crankshaft. So with the obvious differences between the Allion and the Prius (such as weight, which I'm assuming is higher in the Prius), assuming that one car has better acceleration or torque than the other car, purely based on the power of the engine/motor is wrong. Power to weight ratio is important.

Wikipedia doesn't always give us all the answers we need.

• Like 3

We're comparing cars here, not engines or hybrid motors. Horsepower (hp) is measured at the crankshaft. So with the obvious differences between the Allion and the Prius (such as weight, which I'm assuming is higher in the Prius), assuming that one car has better acceleration or torque than the other car, purely based on the power of the engine/motor is wrong. Power to weight ratio is important.

I agree with you on this. To add up something to what sathyajithj99 suggested regarding acceleration, I would say Prius 3rd Gen has a better acceleration than Allion A15. I'm not saying this by considering any figure. Just my personal experience as I used Prius 3rd Generation before and presently using Allion A15.

I agree with you on this. To add up something to what sathyajithj99 suggested regarding acceleration, I would say Prius 3rd Gen has a better acceleration than Allion A15. I'm not saying this by considering any figure. Just my personal experience as I used Prius 3rd Generation before and presently using Allion A15.Â

I would agree with you because you've owned both of these vehicles and has personally experienced the acceleration of both of them. I've never owned any of these vehicles but have driven them a few times. I stated that out of the experience I had during those times. I actually trust what we experience personally rather than some kW or hp values found on Wikipedia.

You just silenced a lot of people with just one sentence :D

Curb Weight - A15 - 1200 kg, A18 - 1230 kg, Prius 3rd - 1379 kg. Prius is 12% over weight than A18.

If you go in to deep, though power-to-weight ratio give some scene, it's not enough to do sensitive comparison between prius and allion due to the difference in transaxle.

Belt and pully CVT has good feature that its good for acceleration than conventional auto which I have experienced (however its depend on the driving pattern). However, prius eCVT which highly depend on its traction motor and battery charge level at low speeds cannot compare by engine power to weight ratio if you go in to deep. Though I have driven Allion A18, Allion A15 and Aqua, still I couldn't drive a Prius 3rd gen. So assume asrock is correct.

I too agree with you regarding the wiki matter. There are several people (even on AL) who just follow sources we cannot trust and provided by non technical people who depends on rumors.

IMO, Auto Lanka should promote the discussions with more in technical, due to unavailability of proper technical staff in Sri Lanka as highlighted by all in most threads.

Well I just gave my opinion because OP asked about acceleration, I have never driven a 3rd gen Prius, so I could be wrong. Yes the eco mode should be off in my Axio Hybrid to get anything out of it. But when its off, it accelerates better than the A15, maybe because the axio hybrid weighs less than any of the above cars.

Curb Weight - A15 - 1200 kg, A18 - 1230 kg, Prius 3rd - 1379 kg. Prius is 12% over weight than A18.

If you go in to deep, though power-to-weight ratio give some scene, it's not enough to do sensitive comparison between prius and allion due to the difference in transaxle.

Belt and pully CVT has good feature that its good for acceleration than conventional auto which I have experienced (however its depend on the driving pattern). However, prius eCVT which highly depend on its traction motor and battery charge level at low speeds cannot compare by engine power to weight ratio if you go in to deep. Though I have driven Allion A18, Allion A15 and Aqua, still I couldn't drive a Prius 3rd gen. So assume asrock is correct.

I too agree with you regarding the wiki matter. There are several people (even on AL) who just follow sources we cannot trust and provided by non technical people who depends on rumors.

IMO, Auto Lanka should promote the discussions with more in technical, due to unavailability of proper technical staff in Sri Lanka as highlighted by all in most threads.

If adding power to weight ratios into the equation aren't enough, then surely the engine hp levels alone have to be far below sufficient to arrive at the conclusion.

What I highlighted in your first post is that simply considering the engine output and saying "The car X has an engine with p1 horsepower. Car Y has an engine with p2 horsepower (where p1 > p2), therefore X car is faster than Y" isn't always correct. The Prius is faster off the line than the Allion - no doubt about that. But the figures presented to arrive at that conclusion in the previous post doesn't tell which car is faster.

• Like 3

Well I just gave my opinion because OP asked about acceleration, I have never driven a 3rd gen Prius, so I could be wrong. Yes the eco mode should be off in my Axio Hybrid to get anything out of it. But when its off, it accelerates better than the A15, maybe because the axio hybrid weighs less than any of the above cars.

Machan, when did you buy an axio hybrid? Is the A15 still there?