• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Entertainment system upgrade/suggestions?

IndulaC

So guys I got a 2008 Nissan Teana J32 and I've been suffering from the inability to reverse properly without a reversing camara. The car has some aftermarket reverse sensors that doesn't work properly and because of the sheer size of the Teana it's very hard to reverse properly. So I'm thinking of a entertainment system upgrade and I'm looking for any suggestions that will help my cause. 

This is the stock entertainment system and I don't want any flashy RGB android 10 system to disrupt this simplistic atmosphere. All I want from this upgrade is good rear visibility and some bluetooth audio for calling purposes. 

Any suggestion is highly appreciated

IMG-20201026-WA0005.thumb.jpeg.0df5ac8a45d4797ea418b625b247efd7.jpeg

So your main concern is a reverse camera ? 

A few years ago there was a selection of Pioneer units on offer by one of the famous audio shops. It was like 27 or something for the headset, camera (the existing one on the Mark X was spoilt) and installation.

There are plenty of places in Delkanda that have used units from Japan but then that really does not make sense as you are going to be stuck with the Japanese setup (language, restricted band range, etc...) . So might as well get a new one.

13 minutes ago, iRage said:

So your main concern is a reverse camera ?

Yeah man, it's really hard for me to reverse because of the size of the car. The aftermarket sensors that are already installed are pretty bad and goes haywire time to time so can't rely on that too. 

15 minutes ago, iRage said:

There are plenty of places in Delkanda that have used units from Japan

In my case the climate control is also incorporated with the display so I need to figure out something that can accommodate the climate controls too. There are many units up in Aliexpress but I don't trust them tbh so I'm kinda at crossroads atm.

Any suggestions?

18 minutes ago, IndulaC said:

In my case the climate control is also incorporated with the display so I need to figure out something that can accommodate the climate controls too

Then it does get a bit tricky....the AC controls within the head set might not necessarily be easily be do-able..or at least 100% accurate

So now your safer choices would be to find the head unit of a Teana that actually came with a reverse camera and the rest of the components. Or to get a secondary small screen setup which is dedicated for the reverse cam.

7 hours ago, iRage said:

So now your safer choices would be to find the head unit of a Teana

Yeah I'm on the search for those now but I'm afraid if nothing comes up I might settle for a chinese android 10 setup because I really need reverse visibility

21 minutes ago, IndulaC said:

Yeah I'm on the search for those now but I'm afraid if nothing comes up I might settle for a chinese android 10 setup because I really need reverse visibility

Pretty sure you might find something on Yahoo Auctions Japan...

On 11/4/2020 at 12:18 AM, IndulaC said:

Yeah man, it's really hard for me to reverse because of the size of the car

Oh come on! As cars go its not really a big car!

I drove one without reverse cameras or sensors for years before moving on... No issues with visibility either in that car. Seating position is great and there is no issue with blind spots when backing up...

Edited by Kavvz

16 hours ago, IndulaC said:

Yeah man, it's really hard for me to reverse because of the size of the car. The aftermarket sensors that are already installed are pretty bad and goes haywire time to time so can't rely on that too. 

There are chinese camera's that connect to your phone but beware. Here's one of my videos where I tried one of those camera system which did not work. I was not getting video on my phone.

Why I shared a not working thing? If you want you can take a risk and try a similar system so you can use your phone as a screen for an aftermarket camera.

22 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Oh come on! As cars go its not really a big car!

I drove one without reverse cameras or sensors for years before moving on... No issues with visibility either in that car. Seating position is great and there is no issue with blind spots when backing up...

Yeah but as for a guy who's only being driving for 2 years (I'm 21) it's a bit difficult ?. The last car I had has all the reversing aids so I think I got depended on those. But I see what you are saying

1 hour ago, IndulaC said:

Yeah but as for a guy who's only being driving for 2 years (I'm 21) it's a bit difficult ?. The last car I had has all the reversing aids so I think I got depended on those. But I see what you are saying

Ah! Yes its hard not to have a rear camera once you get used to it, I'll admit to that- But no worries. You'll the hang of it. There's always a 2-3 month learning curve with a new car (figuring out the approximate front and rear overhangs and where the wheels of the car are in relation to the width of the body etc.) so after that you'll probably be much more confident...

You wont be able to replaced the head unit with an aftermarket one as the A/C controls are inbuilt into the head unit. Therefore, you have two options:

• As iRage mentioned you can replace the head unit with a unit from a car which was offered with reverse camera, but you may have to get the original reverse camera and the wiring harness also. You will also have to find someone who can do the conversion job properly.
  • You can install an aftermarket rear view camera with a built-in display to which you can plug in an aftermarket camera.
    image.png.2cbc23b50d666af431ff8a110286cef9.png

Edited by Magnum

1 hour ago, Magnum said:

You wont be able to replaced the head unit with an aftermarket one as the A/C controls are inbuilt into the head unit. Therefore, you have two options:

• As iRage mentioned you can replace the head unit with a unit from a car which was offered with reverse camera, but you may have to get the original reverse camera and the wiring harness also. You will also have to find someone who can do the conversion job properly.
  • You can install an aftermarket rear view camera with a built-in display to which you can plug in an aftermarket camera.
    image.png.2cbc23b50d666af431ff8a110286cef9.png

Correct, 2nd Option would be the most suited, unless you can source the tid bits like Wiring harness, Unit etc from Yahoo auction or unit from  the Maxima (i think these two are similar models?).

On 11/4/2020 at 11:14 AM, iRage said:

Then it does get a bit tricky....the AC controls within the head set might not necessarily be easily be do-able..or at least 100% accurate

So now your safer choices would be to find the head unit of a Teana that actually came with a reverse camera and the rest of the components. Or to get a secondary small screen setup which is dedicated for the reverse cam.

So I have an update on the situation. I've found an adapter that will change the stock radio unit of the Teana to a stock double DIN hole. So I can install any radio setup I want without interfering with the AC controls. I'm thinking of putting a Pioneer AVH-Z5250BT but still on the crossroads because I didn't find anyone on the internet that had done this

received_731369814126630.jpeg

IMG_20201107_130616.jpg

2 hours ago, IndulaC said:

So I have an update on the situation. I've found an adapter that will change the stock radio unit of the Teana to a stock double DIN hole. So I can install any radio setup I want without interfering with the AC controls. I'm thinking of putting a Pioneer AVH-Z5250BT but still on the crossroads because I didn't find anyone on the internet that had done this

received_731369814126630.jpeg

IMG_20201107_130616.jpg

First of all you will have to remove you head unit and take a look at how its wired, sometimes your speaker wires may not be able to be removed, if you can its fine, it not you will have to run the Pioneer as a secondary head unit given your car has an audio/video(VTR)

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Huh ? So it makes it possible for the AC setting to be displayed on screen ? I thought that is wht you wanted when you said the AC controls are on the screen.

I think he is planning to take of that CD deck and installing a Pioneer head unit in that spot with an aftermarket trim.

23 minutes ago, Magnum said:

I think he is planning to take of that CD deck and installing a Pioneer head unit in that spot with an aftermarket trim.

@iRageyes I want to install a whole new head unit at the CD deck slot using the adapter and keeping it completely separated from the AC controls. So for the AC controls I have the upper screen and for the radio/Navi/camara needs I have the aftermarket Pioneer one on the bottom.

26 minutes ago, Magnum said:

given your car has an audio/video(VTR)

I didn't catch what you said? VTR means? I searched google and it stated as a video tape recorder.

10 minutes ago, IndulaC said:

I didn't catch what you said? VTR means? I searched google and it stated as a video tape recorder.

Japanese cars have a TV tuner feature on the head unit, along with a video input option. You can connect other devices through a VTR cable which looks like this :

image.thumb.png.0600b601e66b06fa9f01fcdc95de187b.png

You can run a secondary head unit or any device through this option while retaining all the factory features. I'm not 100% familiar with the wiring but basically thats how it works.

I have a setup like this on my Crown and it was done in Japan. For the Crown they use a Beatsonic kit which looks like this: 

image.thumb.png.3332674752f9891178ceb5d42f6147c4.png

2 hours ago, Magnum said:

Japanese cars have a TV tuner feature on the head unit, along with a video input option.

Oh ok I'm not sure if my car has that feature. But anyway I'm gonna get this installed through Advan car audio or Pet#o lanka. If anyone knows another place of a guy that'll do a quality job lemme know.

On 11/8/2020 at 8:22 PM, IndulaC said:

Oh ok I'm not sure if my car has that feature

Not all have it. Depends on the car and the system. Typically the screens like the one you had, during the era did not come with it and was usually an optional feature which required a system upgrade.

Interestingly Toyota has gone back to the old ways with their new DisplayAudio system. You want to connect TV and after market rear view cameras...you need to pay Toyota or buy expensive adapters.