• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alternatives for Octane 95

Dhaham

Question

Dear Friends

Octane 95 is not available these days. 

1) Have any of you used "STP Octane Booster" with Octane 92 petrol as an alternative? What is your idea about it?

2) What about Soltron.

3) What about Eco Tablet.

Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, iRage said:

and technically that should apply for pretty much all the JDM vehicles in SL as 99% of the popular models are spec'd to run on Japanese regular fuel (which also includes the turbo charged Corollas and CH-Rs).

This is where owners manual comes in for the rescue 

nLcUw76.png

Imagine my relief to see the manufacturer itself explicitly mentioning there won't be any engine damage as long as you use 90 RON or above

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, iRage said:

and in JDM cars the the statement "レギュラー" will be the saving grace

Hate when they get too vague or intricate when describing a simple fuel recommendation

Consider this:

pQ6eXe4.png

This is the owners manual of the 10th gen civic. Why do they "recommend" 95 or above for the last variant and not for the variants mentioned before?

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

This is the owners manual of the 10th gen civic. Why do they "recommend" 95 or above for the last variant and not for the variants mentioned before?

Must be the rear fog lights...gives an extra 10.7984hp :D 

But they all say 95 or hogher...or am I missing something ?

Edited by iRage

7 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

This is where owners manual comes in for the rescue 

nLcUw76.png

Imagine my relief to see the manufacturer itself explicitly mentioning there won't be any engine damage as long as you use 90 RON or above

Wait a minute, This means 1500models should run with 95 RON only correct? This is what my owners manual states.

IMG_5067.JPG

Edited by K.o.N.o.S

8 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Not only the 10th gen Civic, FD3 UK also has 95 mentioned in the spec sheet as well as the fuel filler cap.. But, I don't think that's the case for the JDM FD3.. it's hard to understand that..

@iRagecould you please enlighten us on the fuel specifications used in Japan.. I mean not only the octane value but the percentages of Sulphur, lead etc.? I think even though the JDM models can run with 92 octane the quality of fuel in terms of other content could be different with the 92 octane fuel we get here.. So, with the quality we have here, would it contribute to catalytic converters going bad here in SL as opposed to the same car running on JDM fuel?

I recently viewed the IOC Indian site and they now seem to sell only octane 95 and octane 100 and both are claimed be more fuel efficient, more smooth engine operation and environmentally friendly..

Can anyone provide any guidance on using 92 Octane on Euro turbo engines. Merc and BMW agents strictly recommend not to use 92 or Octane boosters. 

Will there be permanent harm to the engines. I have been pumping IOC Euro 03 for the past month.

1 hour ago, Quiet said:

Can anyone provide any guidance on using 92 Octane on Euro turbo engines. Merc and BMW agents strictly recommend not to use 92 or Octane boosters. 

Will there be permanent harm to the engines. I have been pumping IOC Euro 03 for the past month.

IOC euro 3 is 92 octane with some "friction additives", it's just fancy 92 so don't waste your money.

If the manufacturer recommends 95 and warns against using lower octane fuel it's better to heed their advice 

There was also some discussion recently on the traffic violation group where somebody brought up the idea that RON95 is actually Octane 91. This is probably based on the definition

"The octane number is actually the simple average of two different octane rating methods—motor octane rating (MOR) and research octane rating (RON)—that differ primarily in the specifics of the operating condition" 

This is off the US EIA website.

However technical specifications of fuel available on both ceypetco and Lanka IOC clearly state that they refer to RON. 

Some people tend to call Euro3 at IOC as Octane 93 - again its regular 92 as the tech specs clearly state.

My civic user manual states that if unavailable octane 91 or higher may be used.  I still don't get the reference to the rear fog light though 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20220513-180425_Gallery.jpg

20220513_180107.jpg

20220513_180051.jpg

20220513_180145.jpg

On 5/12/2022 at 10:15 PM, Hyaenidae said:

AmrEfkN.png

Aha ! Missed that....WHT ??? The amount of confussion a single word creates ! 

On 5/13/2022 at 2:43 AM, Dee Jay said:

@iRagecould you please enlighten us on the fuel specifications used in Japan..

I beleive this would be the easiest to understand (the others are comlicated Japanese that even wifey cannot understand and the better technically translated english versions are for purchase only (apparently...there might be free ones out there):

https://www.transportpolicy.net/standard/japan-fuels-diesel-and-gasoline/

13 hours ago, iRage said:

I beleive this would be the easiest to understand (the others are comlicated Japanese that even wifey cannot understand and the better technically translated english versions are for purchase only (apparently...there might be free ones out there):

https://www.transportpolicy.net/standard/japan-fuels-diesel-and-gasoline/

I also landed on this link earlier and got shocked to see that they had such good standards of fuel since 2007 (as per the site these seem to be from 2007). Even our Euro 4 petrol is not matching these specifications yet.

So, that means the chances of catalytic converters getting bad is higher in Sri Lanka than Japan?

20 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

I also landed on this link earlier and got shocked to see that they had such good standards of fuel since 2007

Yes...it is an old one..but the new ones have not changed that much...there are sme additions for bio fuel but the rest is more or less the same.

For better or for orst that just is the Japanese way. They take a few light years to design and set something up and once it is it hardly changes (we pay road taxes out of our rear ends based on a framework designed in the late 70s ! the whole weight based thing is so irrelevant now). To be fair...somethings are very forward looking as well....some of the safety standards were what was planned in 2005ish...same with the safety requirements. The ones that came in to effect this year and last year were apparently setup around 2010ish....and now the whole complete autonomous driving for older people and public transport by 2035 or something is agreed on.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 6:28 AM, iRage said:

Aha ! Missed that....WHT ??? The amount of confussion a single word creates ! 

Given that the 10th Gen Civic is made in the UK and the manual was probably written in the UK - I'm not surprised. 

On 5/13/2022 at 9:55 AM, Quiet said:

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 8:44 AM, K.o.N.o.S said:

How is STP is treating you? I am using the same and I do not feel that much of a difference except the smell.

Still did not use it, able to fill 95, and wife is having a car can use 92, so we mostly use it now

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 11:41 PM, mazdaspeed said:

Sharing an update after the use of Emsol....

Prior to the fuel fiasco, I use to get 8.2 Per KM/L using 92.  And about 8.5-8.8 if I used 95.   But with the shitty fuel it dropped down to 6 per Km/L...

After putting the additive, I've not got up to 9.4 Per km/L which is a decent increase and feel it's a better product than the standard  one -Soltron which had very minimal impact

The cost is relatively low with Emsol, Rs. 500 for a 50L treatment bottle hence will not burn your wallet (In my instance )

I just put a bottle into my tank too, it has a minty smell. Will update if there is an improvement.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 1:06 PM, Quiet said:

Wow where do you pump fuel bro, couldn't find 95 for a month now

Actually waited until 95 is available and pumped last week.

Wife has a Kia Picanto, so we used it as the primary vehicle because we can pump 92, it is safe.

On 4/21/2022 at 4:12 PM, K.o.N.o.S said:

It's a toyota wigo, dont remember the year though. Not sure if it is made for 95. But he has been using 95 throughout.

Toyota Wigo has an engine called 1KR-Ve which has a higher compression ratio and the user's manual instructs to use RON 95. I think most of the octane boosters are out of stock. Currently there is another local octane booster called Fekron, I am not sure about the quality of it.

280945087_10158868293458511_4240603693989506101_n.thumb.jpg.15f5d0df2175a3ad543758d6f89ee78f.jpg