• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alternatives for Octane 95

Dhaham

Question

Dear Friends

Octane 95 is not available these days. 

1) Have any of you used "STP Octane Booster" with Octane 92 petrol as an alternative? What is your idea about it?

2) What about Soltron.

3) What about Eco Tablet.

Thanks in advance.

I am yet to (or about to) try an Octane booster So can not comment on this. Regarding the ECO Tablet, one of my friend's car has produced a check engine light after using 92 octane instead of 95. He said that after using the Eco pill the check engine light has disappeared.

2 hours ago, Quiet said:

I'm pumping 92 at the moment for my two Euro's it is hard to find any octane boosters other than Eco Tablets. any advise on using by experts

You can use the Wurth or Liqui Moly Octane Boosters. But should not use it everytime.

5 hours ago, matroska said:

what is the car if you don't mind me asking?

It's a toyota wigo, dont remember the year though. Not sure if it is made for 95. But he has been using 95 throughout.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

It's a toyota wigo, dont remember the year though. Not sure if it is made for 95. But he has been using 95 throughout.

I don't think the Toyota Wigo was made for Octane 95, AFAIK it was made for the emerging market - might be a different issue. 

On 4/21/2022 at 11:12 AM, Quiet said:

I'm pumping 92 at the moment for my two Euro's it is hard to find any octane boosters other than Eco Tablets. any advise on using by experts

I'n no expert but I've just out Emsol  and will update on the  progress after doing a few days driving and topping up. I was told to first put the green one to clean off the system and then put the Blue one.  ( https://www.emsol.lk/)     

Perhaps changing petrol filter can be useful as well - since I've noticed  cars pumping whilst fuel tanker was unloading at some sheds.....  which can be an issue as all the muck gets kicked up.

There is a big book that come with your car which is generally in your glow box or compartment under your driver/ passenger seat.

If you care to read it that will give you the fuel requirement of your car.

If it is in Japanese please use google translate. I have yet to come across any Japanese domestic model that required 95. Most of them run on regular octane which is 89-93 in Japan. This includes Turbos like CHR, Swift Turbo & CRV. (Personal and family experience, we have been running on 92 for the last couple of years with absolutely no issues)

Your Euros and UK imports may need 95 as they are generally design to run on 98 and will run on 95 with little power / economy loss. As mentioned please refer user manual.

Even if you pump 95 your car will not self destruct immediately. For a start it will start knocking if the electronic timing adjustment go out of range. You might get engine indicator / waning messages.  A octane booster should solve this issue. You generally mix one can to a full tank of approximately 50 liters. (again read instructions in the can for the mix ratio)

If your car is running on 92 without knocking or power/ economy loss most likely it is designed to run on Regular/ 92.

There is no correlation on fuel quality  and Octane rating. High Octane fuel has more additives to reduce knocking and hence the higher cost. In SL most of the people has this misconception that higher the price better the quality and hence has been wasting money on 95 for no reason. 

If you are using octane booster you will have to use it every time you pump 92.

You will need to mix the booster in right proportion to boost the octane by 3 numbers.

Container will tell you on the proportion required. Generally it is around one container for 50 liters for 2-4 number boost.

I ordered STP 150 ml and it is on the way. This bottle is sufficient for 52l and that is the full tank amount. Planning to add 75ml at the half tank mark and fill to make full tank. I'm having a ford and it is designed to run with 95 or higher so I have to use an Octane booster. I couldn't find Liquy Molly and Wurth and then saw STP  in Daraz app and made the order

• Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 3:00 PM, tbird said:

I ordered STP 150 ml and it is on the way. This bottle is sufficient for 52l and that is the full tank amount. Planning to add 75ml at the half tank mark and fill to make full tank. I'm having a ford and it is designed to run with 95 or higher so I have to use an Octane booster. I couldn't find Liquy Molly and Wurth and then saw STP  in Daraz app and made the order

How is STP is treating you? I am using the same and I do not feel that much of a difference except the smell.

On 4/22/2022 at 5:29 PM, mazdaspeed said:

I'n no expert but I've just out Emsol  and will update on the  progress after doing a few days driving and topping up. I was told to first put the green one to clean off the system and then put the Blue one.  ( https://www.emsol.lk/)     

Perhaps changing petrol filter can be useful as well - since I've noticed  cars pumping whilst fuel tanker was unloading at some sheds.....  which can be an issue as all the muck gets kicked up.

Sharing an update after the use of Emsol....

Prior to the fuel fiasco, I use to get 8.2 Per KM/L using 92.  And about 8.5-8.8 if I used 95.   But with the shitty fuel it dropped down to 6 per Km/L...

After putting the additive, I've not got up to 9.4 Per km/L which is a decent increase and feel it's a better product than the standard  one -Soltron which had very minimal impact

The cost is relatively low with Emsol, Rs. 500 for a 50L treatment bottle hence will not burn your wallet (In my instance )

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mazdaspeed said:

Sharing an update after the use of Emsol....

Prior to the fuel fiasco, I use to get 8.2 Per KM/L using 92.  And about 8.5-8.8 if I used 95.   But with the shitty fuel it dropped down to 6 per Km/L...

After putting the additive, I've not got up to 9.4 Per km/L which is a decent increase and feel it's a better product than the standard  one -Soltron which had very minimal impact

The cost is relatively low with Emsol, Rs. 500 for a 50L treatment bottle hence will not burn your wallet (In my instance )

So how does it work?

2 minutes ago, mazdaspeed said:

Well the bottle I used is for a 50 L tank 1ml for 1 Lter of petrol... there after once you top up, you can put the equivalent amount topped up

I mean with traditional octane boosters like BTX and MMT we know how they work... but we don't even know what Emsol is made out of, let alone how it works 

9 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

I mean with traditional octane boosters like BTX and MMT we know how they work... but we don't even know what Emsol is made out of, let alone how it works 

In theory Emsol is not an octane booster correct? is it just a fuel optimizer?

3 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

But how does it actually "optimize" the fuel? What is it made out of?

No idea about the additives being used to make Fuel stabilizers. I think what it does is it extends the life of fuel by keeping the fuel fresh for a longer time.

2 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

Are you guys aware if the octane boosters/ Emsol/ Soltron etc. have any negative effect on the cars catalytic converter??

MMT-based octane boosters do leave a film of orange/yellow on plugs, pistons and the exhaust system - studies conducted under laboratory conditions (a vehicle running for a set amount of time/mileage on a conveyor belt or something similar I guess) have shown that MMT do leave a film of manganese particles inside the catalytic converter, but those findings have been challenged because the number of heat cycles were low (no cold starts, the vehicle has been running continuously) and under real-world conditions (on the road) the manganese particles would've detached from exhaust system components which would not happen on  a conveyor belt

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

No idea about the additives being used to make Fuel stabilizers. I think what it does is it extends the life of fuel by keeping the fuel fresh for a longer time.

Well we're looking for "alternatives for octane 95", right? what good is a fuel stabilizer in that regard?

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

Well we're looking for "alternatives for octane 95", right? what good is a fuel stabilizer in that regard?

Yes. I do not think there's any much of a use in using a stabilizer specially for vehicles which are designed to run with 95 octane (High compression engines). The objective would be to increase the Octane level to protect the engine components in the long run. I guess looking at the current situation we will not be pumping 95 for a foreseeable future. To make the matters even worse as of now there's no Octane boosters available in the market. So we are pretty much doomed. 😟

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Yes. I do not think there's any much of a use in using a stabilizer specially for vehicles which are designed to run with 95 octane (High compression engines). The objective would be to increase the Octane level to protect the engine components in the long run. I guess looking at the current situation we will not be pumping 95 for a foreseeable future. To make the matters even worse as of now there's no Octane boosters available in the market. So we are pretty much doomed. 😟

Not so for the Lancers... well, fuel economy and power will be affected but there won't be any engine damage as long as we have 90 octane at least

Back to octane boosters, BTX and MMT based octane boosters do work and there is extensive literature on how they work and their potential adverse effects, but those so-called "eco-tablets" and Emsol that have been gaining notoriety these days doesn't have a smidgen of literature on how those work or at least what those are based on so I'm not sure if it is truly a good idea to introduce those unknown substances into our vehicles hoping those would "improve bad fuel" somehow.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Not so for the Lancers... well, fuel economy and power will be affected but there won't be any engine damage as long as we have 90 octane at least

and technically that should apply for pretty much all the JDM vehicles in SL as 99% of the popular models are spec'd to run on Japanese regular fuel (which also includes the turbo charged Corollas and CH-Rs).