• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Post Whoring - Part 2

MADZ

Tips to protect your car’s Turbo

Small displacement turbocharged engines are getting increasingly popular on our roads. With tougher emission norms & fuel-economy concerns worldwide, the trend is only expected to grow. Nearly every diesel car in the market is turbocharged now. Turbo-petrols will also be commonplace soon.

While engines usually have an rpm limit of 5,000 - 7,000 rpm, turbos spin at up to 150,000 rpm! In turbo-charged cars without intercoolers, temperatures can shoot over 150 degrees C. Did you know that inertia keeps the turbo spinning even after you switch the engine off? A hot shutdown is one of the top reasons behind turbocharger failure. All the mass-market cars have oil-cooled turbos where the oil dissipates heat and prevents damage to the bearings inside. There's also the issue of heat soak from exhaust gas. The worst thing you can do to your turbo is switch the engine off immediately after a hard run.

HKS - a top Japanese manufacturer of turbochargers - has this to say:

"The number one cause of turbo failure is oil "coking". Oil "coking" occurs when a turbocharger is not properly cooled down and the oil that normally lubricates the center cartridge heats up and forms solidified oil deposits."

That burnt oil eventually goes on to block passages.

Some folk insist that modern water-cooled turbos don't require a cooldown period after a drive. While they are partially correct,
early all of the mass market cars have conventional oil-cooled turbochargers. It's only some premium cars (not all) that employ water-cooled blowers.Further, not all turbos are built equal. If your turbo is fragile because of cost-cutting or design defects, it's all the more vulnerable to premature wear. At the end of the day, it's only a matter of 30 seconds. While there are a lot of valid arguments supporting the cause of idling, even the naysayers will agree you've got nothing to lose by practicing the idling rule.

Abusing your turbocharger can affect its longevity. With time, the turbo will become less effective. Take care of your turbo so that it gives your engine adequate boost and thus, an enjoyable driving experience for years to come.

When Starting Off (especially in the morning):

Let the car idle for 30 (minimum) - 60 (maximum) seconds before you drive off. Use this handful of seconds to set the right playlist, climate control, mirrors and seat position.
Be gentle to your car when she's cold. Maintain a low rpm level (below 2,000) until the engine has reached operating temperature. This warm-up period isn't just good for the engine & turbo-charger; gradual warm-up is also beneficial to other components (transmission, brakes, tyres etc.). The procedure is recommended for naturally-aspirated cars as well.
Alternate method: Crawl out of your parking spot and through your neighborhood at just over idle rpms. Diesel cars move easily with zero or minimal accelerator input. Stay below 2,000 rpm, but don't lug the engine.
If you are making several short trips (bank, groceries, errands), pre-shutdown idling can get annoying. In this case, keep the rpm level as low as possible on the drive (without lugging the engine).

At the end of your Journey:

For the final km or so, reduce your speed and completely avoid high rpms. Keep the revs low ( 2,000) when you approach your destination. Not a big deal as even small cars touch 60 - 80 kph at 2,000 rpm.
Let the car idle for 30 seconds if you've had a relaxed drive or followed the cool down procedure explained above. On the other hand, if you have a heavy right foot, idle the car for 60 seconds before you shut the engine. Use these seconds to switch off the music system & climate control, and fold in the ORVMs.
Some ignorant drivers revv their turbo-charged car (in the parking spot) just before turning the engine off. As an informed car owner, you shouldn't.

Related Points:

Never overshoot an oil change interval. Stick to them with discipline. Bad oil damages your turbo.
Synthetic oil offers superior lubrication & cooling properties to your engine & turbo-charger (over regular mineral oil).
Don't drive around with a dirty air-filter as it'll have a detrimental effect on your turbo-charger.
If you've taken a mid-way stop during a hard highway drive, it wouldn't hurt to let the turbo idle for an extra minute. The holy grail of reliability - Toyota - recommends up to 2 minutes of idling after continuously driving at 100 kph, as does Skoda for the Laura.
Turbo-petrol owners : Keep in mind that your car generates more heat than turbo-diesels. The above-mentioned procedures are highly recommended for turbo-petrols too.
If you have a heavily modified turbo setup, or want to take precaution to the next level, consider a Turbo-Timer. It helps cool down your turbo by keeping your engine idling for a preset amount of time (after you turn off the car).

Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/131875-why-you-must-practice-idling-rule-turbo-charged-cars.html

Edited by Magnum

I think that is the intended behaviour Watchman. Bookmarks are shared across the browser regardless of whether browsed in normal mode or incognito. So the practice should be to never bookmark a site that is to be accessed purely in incognito mode.

Yup, intended as Davy said. It warns you that this is the case.

Sorry, I didnt mean the bookmarks (and menus) themselves but the prompts. but rather the prompt. Example if I bookmark abcdef.com and visited it only on incognito, I still get prompted with abcdef.com when i start typing abc___ in normal mode.

Sorry, I didnt mean the bookmarks (and menus) themselves but the prompts. but rather the prompt. Example if I bookmark abcdef.com and visited it only on incognito, I still get prompted with abcdef.com when i start typing abc___ in normal mode.

Seems logical. Its searching your booksmarks, not your history. Even if you create a bookmark from scratch and don't visit the site, it should show up when you start typing.

Edited by Pericles

Yes, still the intended behaviour because there still isn't a way to manage a separate set of bookmarks for incognito mode. So they're shared. The AutoComplete suggestions are from your browsing history + bookmarks. That's the reason they appear as suggestions. So do not bookmark any website you wish to access only in incognito, because they are visible in normal mode.

Did you guys know about the Dinosaur game in Chrome?

http://mobile.geek.com/latest/254765-chromes-answer-to-a-network-error-is-an-infinite-runner-dinosaur-game?origref=https:%2F%2Fwww.google.com.au%2F

The game is available in the mobile version of Chrome as well. Just touch instead of pressing space.

Edited by Davy

Ukkung's GTR found in Piliyandala. Check DM.

The news articles everywhere said "Lamborghini". Guess all fast cars are "Lamborghini"s for some.

So here it is (photos from Lankadeepa):

DSC01794.jpg

DSC01797.jpg

The news articles everywhere said "Lamborghini". Guess all fast cars are "Lamborghini"s for some.

So here it is (photos from Lankadeepa):

DSC01794.jpg

DSC01797.jpg

Lol! and I heard some politicca saying in news that this car was made in Italy!

Edited by asrock

We can't blame the non-car-enthusiasts misconception that these are Lamborghinis. We're all intelligent enough to know that it refers to the "the notion of a exotic car". And this really is just that.

TBH, I thought that these car would have been busted in Temple Trees and would be part of the initial expose. Seeing all the shit that's showing up, the past week has really been like a the fall and expose of Sadam/Uday Hussain.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Seems like it was left at a friends place, and somebody must have tipped the Police, who are very eager to please their new bosses...

I think the previous owners are trying to distance themselves from obvious symbols of the wealth they amassed for political reasons, as well as ensure at least one of the sons has a political future.

Edited by The Don

@don is this GTR upgraded with AMS performance upgrades??

Wonder what would happen to this car??????

I think it was a factory Nismo version.

It depends on who the owner is and etc. I assume it was legally imported as I think it was BRJW who imported it. Whether the correct taxes have been paid on it I do not know.

If the vehicle was legally imported and relevant duties paid, it will be released back to the owner. It might be confiscated later on, on other charges such as if the source of funds used to purchase it cannot be verified (so possibly illegal).

If the vehicle is confiscated by the state due to a violation of the customs ordinance and the relevant fines are not paid, the state reserves the right to destroy the vehicle or auction and recover what its due.

Read on a news site that a guy in Minuwangoda (who claims to be the owner) had stated that the car was locally assembled, as an excuse for why it was never registered.

So the KE plates are fake. And this is the very car that met with an accident with a Prado, resulting in significant damage to the front end.

Anyway, poor car. Hope something good will happen to it.

So the KE plates are fake. - If that is the case shouldn't the owner of the plates be charged? I know for a fact in some countries the ownership the plates lies with the govt and the vehicle owner is supposed to keep them with the relevant vehicle all the time. Otherwise the owner can be charged. Is n't that one of the purposes of this kind of number plates?
Edited by Rumesh88

Davey,

I don't think this is the same car which was in the accident. As Don mentioned I think its a Nismo version. the other one looks like a street spec( the spoiler).Not sure I might be wrong.

Hmm. My comment was based on the following article:

http://www.lankahotnews.net/2015/01/racing-car-belongs-to-rohitha-rajapaksa.html?m=1

Davy, I can't find the link now, but there was a picture by BRJW congratulating all drivers using cars supplied by them for their victories in a recently concluded racing even, and something that resembles the car is in it.

You don't have to register the car if it was bought purely for racing purposes I think. But then you can't run it on the road.

• MADZ locked this topic