• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer Or Axio? Update: Bought A Lancer! (Aka The B.r.a.t.t. Thread)

Bracket

Question

Hello Experts,

Excited to join Autolanka forums :D Waited almost for month for an admin to approve me ... anyway, whoever the admin that approved me, :smilie_liebe12:

Last December, I sold my good old Maruti WagonR ( 2008 model, 5yrs old, driven for 30000+ Kms) For 1.6mil. I was searching for a good car to buy ever since. ( that's how I ended up on autolanka) So now that I finally got approved I thought it's time to get expert ideas on buying my new vehicle.

My budget is 3.5mil - 4.0mil. I wanted to buy a japanese car and browsing the internet, Finally I decided that there are two contenders:

1. Toyota axio 161 1.3 X Grade (2013)

2. Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1.6 GLX (2013)

Both the cars ( Brand New ) are being sold for 3.5 mil. for the permit. ( Lancer : 3,460,000 to be exact)

My priorities are:

-RELIABILITY
-Fuel Economy

-Spare Parts Availability

-Safety And comfort

-Handling

-Looks

- Resale value

Axio Dealers are mainly bragging of TOYOTA Reliability and Spare parts availability. They assured me I'm in deep trouble if I choose a mitsubishi because there are no spare parts in local market and I would have to buy spare parts only from agent paying a huge amount of money and I have to wait till eternity for mitsubishi agents to import parts from japan. And they also mentioned that unlike axio, I won't be able to sell the mitsubishi for a decent price. (if I wanted to, of course)

I called mitsu agents and they say they have spare parts for any vehicle they sell and I don't have to worry. However the sales guy said he have no idea on 3rd party parts availability.

So as you all can see i'm in a dilemma here. If you were in my position which car would you buy? And please be kind enough to mention why.. :)

This is my first post on autolanka, so please go easy on me if I have offended any rule.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Bracket

@CNX: Thanks bud. :)

@Komi: Any suggestions mate? how about "bracketson" ? ideas are most welcome :D lol

Bracketmobile?

i once had a carina Ti which we nicknamed "Sandy." of course it had nothing in common with playmate sandy westgate, but i had it when i was working in batti, so we were always at the beach, and the interior was...quite literally... sandy

• Like 1

Yes trinity sort of ate that.

Well how about B.R.A.T.T.? Like KITT? BRacket Aiyya Two Thousand?

Anna well done komi... okay I'm gonna name her B.R.A.T.T. (y)

Guys,

Bank called me on monday and informed that the documents has been arrived. I called Unit#d Mot#rs and they said me I should collect them from bank and provide them to Sri Lanka Customs and should get TIN and VAT certificates. Are these information accurate? I thought I should go to IRD to obtain TIN and VAT. can somebody clarify this?

As far as I remember procedure is as follows. (I did it 3 years ago and if something wrong please correct me.)

(1) Go to your bank where you open the Letter of Credit (L/C)

Complete your payment work if any, and collect your original shipping document set [usually it comes with Commercial Invoice ,Bill of Lading (B/L), Marine Insurance Certificate, Certificate of Origin.....etc.]

If your payment work is completed, Bank will stamped your Invoices and other documents and will issue original set of shipping documents to you.

(2) Visit Department of Inland Revenue and apply and get your TIN Certificate.

(3) Then handover the documents to Unit#d Mot#rs and, as far as I remember you have to submit one document directly to the Sri Lanka customs. (I have forgotten the thing and might something like Registration at Customs)

So check with Unit#d Mot#rs people and follow the process.

If you start it in the morning , you can finish all work within same day.

Unit#d Mot#rs will clear the vehicle and bring it to their office and will do registration procedure as well.

Unit#d Mot#rs will give you a document and based on that get a temporary insurance cover for the vehicle. (Since you don't have CR issued yet and later you can convert this temporary insurance cover in to Insurance Certificate)

Keep ready your photos required for vehicle registration.

Then you have to collect the vehicle.

At the collection point , take your time and check all items/equipments(Example: Cigarette lighter) , make sure all equipments are there. If something missing, please inform them at same time. (Once I faced a similar situation). Also check the vehicle body for any damages, scratch, dents.

Collect your vehicle and

Drive plenty miles with smiles. :)

Please don't forget to post a photo here.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

As far as I remember procedure is as follows. (I did it 3 years ago and if something wrong please correct me.)

(1) Go to your bank where you open the Letter of Credit (L/C)

Complete your payment work if any, and collect your original shipping document set [usually it comes with Commercial Invoice ,Bill of Lading (B/L), Marine Insurance Certificate, Certificate of Origin.....etc.]

If your payment work is completed, Bank will stamped your Invoices and other documents and will issue original set of shipping documents to you.

(2) Visit Department of Inland Revenue and apply and get your TIN Certificate.

(3) Then handover the documents to Unit#d Mot#rs and, as far as I remember you have to submit one document directly to the Sri Lanka customs. (I have forgotten the thing and might something like Registration at Customs)

So check with Unit#d Mot#rs people and follow the process.

If you start it in the morning , you can finish all work within same day.

Unit#d Mot#rs will clear the vehicle and bring it to their office and will do registration procedure as well.

Unit#d Mot#rs will give you a document and based on that get a temporary insurance cover for the vehicle. (Since you don't have CR issued yet and later you can convert this temporary insurance cover in to Insurance Certificate)

Keep ready your photos required for vehicle registration.

Then you have to collect the vehicle.

At the collection point , take your time and check all items/equipments(Example: Cigarette lighter) , make sure all equipments are there. If something missing, please inform them at same time. (Once I faced a similar situation). Also check the vehicle body for any damages, scratch, dents.

Collect your vehicle and

Drive plenty miles with smiles. :)

Please don't forget to post a photo here.

Now you dont have to visit IRD, Sampath. You can fill out the forms and get TIN and VAT numbers from customs. No need to visit IRD. Thw whole process is lot quicker now.

I found this on an forum some time ago.

------------------------- New Car Pre-delivery Check List ------------

Congratulations!

You bought a new car and it's ready for you to pick up and drive off the lot. I can imagine the excitement but it is important not to rush the delivery process. Remember once you sign the sales agreement and the new car's wheels hit public pavement, the car becomes all yours - for better or worse.

Your new car will indeed come with a bumper-to-bumper factory warranty. But keep in mind that the dealer is more likely to take care of any problem a lot faster if it threatens to hold up the closing of a sale.

This all means that before you sign the dotted line and grab those keys, you'd be prudent to take one last hard look at both the paperwork and the car you're buying to be sure they're just what you

bargained for.

I have compiled a comprehensive checklist that might come handy the day you pick up your new baby. To be honest, I am not the original author. I collected this information from various sources.

This pre-delivery checklist contains many points that you might overlook if you're in too much of a hurry to take possession of your new car. I know it is not all encompassing, but it will get you started down the road to obtaining a trouble -free vehicle.

The salesperson may not love you for taking all these precautions. But if you do, chances are much greater that you'll love your new car.

Preparations:

1. Confirm: the date of delivery with your dealership. It is best to go there only after the car has been prepared and is ready. If you have a preference for a particular day / time (for auspicious reasons), inform the sales person.
  2. Daylight: We recommend accepting delivery in broad daylight, since the dark can conceal a lot. You may also not get good service in the evening since dealership personnel are in a hurry to wrap the day up.
  3. Documentation: Ascertain that you carry any required documentation with you. This may include forms, receipts etc.
  4. Payments: If any payment formalities are to be completed, carry along the relevant PDC’s / Cash / Credit Cards.
  5. Third Person: It’s always a good idea to take a relative / friend along for suggestions, observations and comments.
  6. Memories: Take a camera along.
  7. Music: Carry a CD / cassette if your car is equipped with a stereo.
  8. Gift: Take a token gift along for the sales guy.

So here we go!

1. Never accept the delivery in the late evening. Call the dealership ahead of time and let them know that you plan to perform a very detailed delivery check during daylight hours. Getting through your checklist may take couple of hours or more so see that you get an earliest possible appointment (0930 hrs or even earlier if possible) so that you will be having sufficient time to inspect the car, put accessories/modifications and fix any defects found, complete the paper work, all under a bright daylight.

Also insist that no Invoice to be made in your name till you complete the pre-delivery inspection.

2. Some people believe that taking delivery of 'Metal' goods on Saturday is inauspicious, while some insist on a `Muhuraath', plan and prepare accordingly if you are one of them.

3. Call couple of days in advance to confirm the delivery date and time to avoid any disappointment in case dealer is unable to deliver the car for what so ever reasons on that appointed day.

4. In the meantime, keep your paperwork ready. Check with the dealer well in advance about documents required to complete Car Registration, Insurance, Car finance formalities etc.

5. If any financial transactions are to be completed on that D-Day, carry all PDC, cash, DD etc.

6. Check and verify that your car insurance starts the minute you take delivery.

7. It is prudent to have somebody, a third person, not emotionally attached to your car buying process, accompany you during the whole process. And if you can manage to have an experienced Auto mechanic or an eagle-eyed friend or relative along with you nothing like that; four eyes are better than two. This also helps in case dealership tries to pressurize you on any account.

8. Don't forget to take your camera / camcorder with you (of course with fresh batteries, film/ cassette/memory card), not only for capturing the moment of joy but in case you find any cosmetic

defect in the car, a picture will serve as a proof.

9. Carry a prerecorded Audio cassette / CD to test the Music System in the car (if fitted).

Now you are in the Showroom!

1. Treat all front desk, sales, service, and delivery and administration staff with respect. Buying a new car could be a proud moment for you but delivering a car is a routine matter for them. You had spent considerable amount of time in researching a car make and model, made several visits to dealerships for test rides and price negotiations, now it is a matter of couple of hours more so observe patience and courtesy. Don't lose temper and start fighting with people over there, some delays, and minor irritations are quite possible and they do happen! Your sober, mature and decent behavior will make a very good impact on the staff over there and that in term will help you in getting better respect and service from them in future.

2. Don't depend on dealer's mechanics and preparation people to take care of every last detail. Inspect it yourself and if it isn't right, have it corrected. People do make mistakes and forget things (sometimes deliberately!) Always remember that the dealership will be more receptive to making repairs before the sale. So have any corrections made before you take delivery.

3. Part of the salesperson's job is to acquaint you with your new car's features and how each one operates. Ask him to demonstrate the car fully, top to bottom, in order to understand how everything works on the vehicle. The salesperson is more likely to give you his or her undivided attention before, rather than after, the sale is final.

Now let us begin with the visual inspection first.

----------------------------

Visual inspection

----------------------------

1. Note the mileage. Before you do anything else. It should be as close to zero as possible. What you don't want is a car with 100 or 200 Km that's been a demo vehicle to every lead-footed prospective buyer in town. Be reasonable, but question anything greater than 50 Km.

2. Look over the bodywork. Do it in an open space and under a bright daylight. Walk around the vehicle several times looking from as many angles as possible. Carefully sight along the sides of the car, from front to rear and vice versa, looking for ripples, dimples and dings. Look for paint over-spray on door ledges or around the edges of the engine compartment that might indicate repairs. Make sure seams and door lines are straight and true. Remember, a careful inspection is critical because after the car leaves the lot, the dealer could reasonably claim that anybody damage was caused by you.

3. Doors, hoods, trunks, deck lids, and lift gates: Do they all work correctly? Do they seal properly? Does the fit and finish matchup between these and the rest of the bodywork? Do the locks work properly -- are they automatic, can they be operated remotely? Does the hood release lever operate from the inside? Do you know the location? Can you open the hood yourself? Does it stay up on its own?

4. Open bonnet. Is the engine compartment in perfect shape? Is every dipstick, plastic cover, and wire harness present and properly secured? Check all the fluids are at optimal levels level: transmission, Engine Oil, Coolant, Break oil, Power steering oil, windscreen water and battery water. There should be very little dirt and grime, and not a single sign of fluid leakage of any kind.

None of the engine components should show exterior wear or replacement e.g. things like one spark plug wire that is a completely different shade of black should draw a red flag and a question.

5. Check the Battery: No corrosion should be present on the electrodes. It should be properly connected -- fastened to wire leads and properly secured / tied down in the vehicle. Ask about how to jump it properly. Does it have a special separate warranty?

6. Close bonnet. Check bonnet seats in firmly.

7. Is the trunk in perfect shape? Is the carpeting properly fastened? How about the outside lock? If it has gas shocks to hold up the lid, are they working properly?

8. Tires: Where is the spare tire and jack system located? Is the spare properly inflated? If you have wheel locks, where is the lug key? Are all the tires the same and as ordered? (Some performance tires have several different speed ratings and associated cost levels. Check the specific numbers on each tire.) Check the dates on the tires, tires should be fresh. What is the proper air pressure? What is the tire warranty and where is it? The tires should show no signs of wear, and should be properly inflated. Tires should be scuff-free. Are the hubcaps properly affixed?

9. Look in the glove box. Does it open properly? Does it lock?

10. Windows and Mirrors: Make sure there are no defects (chips,cracks). Are the options installed and how they working? (Options may include rear defogger, wiper and tinting.) Proper open and close operation tested on each window. Control device operation and location - power window controls, rapid down operation? Wipers, controls, delay systems, rear window?

11. Get in the car. Is the interior in perfect shape? Carpet, headliner, seats should have no tears, stains, or damage. Try both the front and back seats and keep your eyes peeled for problems. Try out any device that will move, bend, turn, be pushed, or pulled. Do all the seatbelts work? Are the floor mats you ordered in the car?

12. Driver's Seat: Do you know how to work the seat position controls and where they are located? Does the lumbar work? Note the steering wheel positioning, tilt, telescope, lock, horn, and cruise

control.

13. Keys: Do you have more than one set? Is the remote entry working? How does the alarm work (codes and disarmament)? Is there a panic button and cut off switch? Do the door locks have child

protection?

14. Make sure that spare tire, tire-changing equipment, owner's manual, plus any unusual items that may standard equipment - like a first-aid kit or floor mats should of course, be on board. Then be sure the car has any optional equipment that you paid for – premium or alloy wheels or a trunk-mounted CD changer, as examples. No reputable dealer would try to cheat you out of these things. But should any be missing, he'll go to more trouble to get them quicklyif you refuse to take delivery of an incomplete vehicle.

Now it is time to crank the engine........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it is time to crank the engine

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the bonnet open start the car. Let the car idle for 2 minutes and check for leakages. Engine should also vibrate normally. Switch of engine and engage Hand breaks, Switch on car electric circuit and observe the following:

a. Engine oil lamp on indicator should come on and then go off after some time on dash board.

b. Open driver/ passenger door. Door open lamp should glow on the dashboard. On closing the door the door open lamp should go off.

c. Hand brakes engaged lamp should glow on the dashboard. On releasing the hand brake, the same should be extinguished. All this while ensure that battery lamp indicator (Indicating charging is not on) glows on the dashboard.

Start engine. Battery charging should start and battery indication lamp on the dashboard should now stop glowing. Check the operation of all the lighting systems:

Headlights (low and high beams), tail lights, emergency flashers, brake lights, backing lights, trunk light, hood light, interior lights (map lights, dome lights, glove box, reading lights, running board lights).

Does the vehicle have automatic shutoff? Is it for the headlights only? How long does the dome light stay on after unlocking and locking the door? Can you dim interior lights. What about the dashboard lights? Is the ignition switch lighted?

Check left and right turn signals (front and back -- you'll need a helper) proper operation, and switch positions Do the lights work correctly? Does the internal opening button work correctly?

Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning: understand all the controls and features of the climate control operations and control panel. Are there special defoggers? Special filters? Multi-level systems? Front and rear controls? Temperature settings and automatic controls? Duct operation? Fan controls? Switch on AC. Check AC for cooling. Check AC cuts in and cuts out in a reasonable time. Similarly check heater and cigarette lighter for proper functioning.

Check the Sound System: understand how everything operates. Adjust the controls and get sound out of each speaker. Does it sound correct to your ear? Try a cassette and CD (bring one with you). How do special features, such as equalizers, amplifiers, and trunk mounted CD tower work?

-------------------------------

Now it is time to Spin

-------------------------------

You may have already test driven the car, but this time be on the lookout for any malfunctions. The dealership still owns the vehicle, so expect the salesperson to accompany you. But request him or her to keep quite as you'll need to concentrate - and listen - as you put the truck through its paces. Be sure to take it on the highway, not just around the block.

1. Get in and buckle up!

2. Ignition System: Does the car start properly?

3. Listen carefully to engine idle. Does it sound okay?

4. Look at the tailpipe. Any abnormal smoke or color? Moisture?

5. Brakes: Do you like the feel of the brake pedal (even and smooth)? How does the parking break work? Does your foot have to be on the brake to shift out of park?

6. When you put the vehicle into gear, does it sound okay? Do the shift indicators line up with the proper gear that you are in (i.e. the indicator reads R when in reverse)?

7. Noise Check. Turn the radio off and use your senses. Drive over various road conditions and speeds that you know you will be frequenting. Listen for the Buzz Squeaks and Rattles (BSR) – no tweet, tweet, tweet from the tailgate allowed. Also note NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) -- no loud thuds, or strange shaking between above 60 Kmph allowed.

8. Watch the gauges. Do they move and register properly? (Gauges include the odometer, speedometer, tachometer, oil pressure, and coolant temperature.)

9. Run the air conditioning and heating. Do they appear to work properly?

10. Check the vehicles acceleration and braking for proper operation.

11. Check the cruise control (if your car has one) for proper operation.

12. Check the vehicle's handling: Can it turn a tight U-turn? Does it make any strange noises? Make right and left turns. Does the steering respond properly?

13. Battery not charging glow lamp should not come on.

14. On a straight stretch of road drive at 60 kmph and leave the steering wheel. Car should keep straight and not pull to left or right. In case if it pulls towards left or right, dealer has to do the wheel balancing and also wheel alignment.

15. Switch on AC and get a feel in fall of power when AC is switched on.

16. Check operation of windscreen spray and vipers.

17. Check operation of horn.

After the spin:

1. Open the hood and have a look. Any new fluid leaks? Is the radiator cap still on properly? (Have the service manager help with this one.) Check the oil and transmission levels yourself. Take a quick peek under the vehicle and make sure there are no fluids dripping on the pavement.

2. Is every option you ordered and paid for installed properly in the vehicle? So many options exist that it is impossible to make any kind of accurate listing. What is important is that what you've paid for is there, and that you know how to operate each one.

3. Service Department: Have you met the service manager and taken a tour of the service area? Have they explained the specifics of the dealership's service policy and hours of operation? (Some dealers are by appointment only, some are first-come first-served. Most treat buyers from their dealership better than other walk-in customers. So keep that license plate holder with the dealer's name printed on it.) Has the service manager reviewed the basics of the service plan for your vehicle with you? Does the dealership have a free checkup? What period of operation does it cover?

4. Does your vehicle have a 24-hour roadside assistance program? What does it entail?

5. Did you buy a special service plan? What is covered?

6. Do you have a business card for each of the dealership personnel you've worked with?

7. Is every defect that you've noted been properly corrected?

Now it is time to complete paperwork and other formalities.

Read the paperwork! Don't take anybody's word for anything. Make sure all the blanks in the contract are filled in. Insist on having a copy of each document you are signing. Make sure you're paying what you agreed to pay in your earlier negotiations. And make sure you're not paying for anything you didn't agree to buy. Once you're certain both the car and the paperwork are in order, you're ready to sign the

contracts and drive away.

Ask to be shown the internal PDI Certificate for the chosen piece.

Check Chassis number and Engine number of car matches with the Invoice.

Check the Chassis number and Engine number are properly endorsed in the Registration papers and Insurance Papers

Collect warranty card of the car. Check warranty details are properly endorsed and ensure that all free service coupons are in date.

Collect warranty cards of battery and all accessories.

Collect Pollution certificate. This is valid for one year.

Check all papers once again. Ensure that invoice, sale certificate, receipt, Registration, Pollution certificate, Warranty card, Battery warranty card and warranty card of accessories are in your

possession.

Check out from the Owners Handbook what all items are FOC with the Car, such as Toolkit (# of pieces), and Jack/Handle and spare fuses/lamps, First Aid Kit etc.

If opted for additional warranty (on payment of specified price) ensures that car details are endorsed correctly in the additional warranty.

Ensure/Demand that the Car has at least 5 liter of Petrol in it, as is provided for by the OEM.

Check pressure of air in all tires and should be as per the recommended pressure.

All set and go...

Grab the keys, lights – camera – action!

Enjoy your car, but don't forget to donate something to a good charity, there are many people around rather less fortunate people than you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition here are some more tips:

1. Check the car manufacturing month/year.

2. In case of extended warranty check its coverage and deductibles. Also check whether this warranty is transferable to a new owner in case you need to sell your car while this warranty is still in force.

3. Get all promises and commitment from the dealership in writing.

4. I repeat here again remain very friendly and decent while at the car dealership, as you are going to visit them many times in near future. Make some friends over there. You may feel at the top of the world while taking the delivery of your car but for the dealership yours is just one out of half a dozen deliveries they are going to make on that particular day.

Don't forget to tip the security guards, mechanics (if any) at the dealership. They will remember your face and when you drive next time to the dealership, you will receive a Royal Salute.

The Sales Person who helped you in the whole buying process may not accept a direct (Rs) tip but you can always offer him a small gift (like a nice pen, tie pin , music CD , a book, perfume etc) as a token appreciation towards his/her service.

Also while leaving thank all esp. Showroom manager/owner, workshop / finance / accounts / insurance people and (most important)the front desk staff (reception) , say some good words about their service , also mention that you are quite happy about the overall buying experience and will recommend this dealership to all . (Don't burn the bridges, even if your experience was not so good).

This will build your reputation over there and in turn you will always get a better/priority treatment.

• Like 2

Having a quick inspection at vehicle collection point is much worthy. I collected our Viva Elite twins in same day. In the morning I collected Green colour one. Had a quick inspection and everything was perfect in order. After lunch I collected Blue colour one and I did not check much as I was in hurry. When I just came out from the Unit#d Mot#rs, I observed that cigarette lighter was missing. So I went back and complained. However they provided me a cigarette lighter after 2-3days, but I wasted an hour on complaining the matter. Better to have a quick inspection always.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

I don't agree with the mileage being less than 50km. Even for brand new vehicles, its quite possible to have 100-200km sometimes, especially if they were driven all the way from Hambantota.

Also behaving like santa claus and tipping everyone you see is not exactly a good idea. exercise your discretion on that.

If your audio system has a security code, make sure you get the code with the documents.

• Like 2

I don't agree with the mileage being less than 50km. Even for brand new vehicles, its quite possible to have 100-200km sometimes, especially if they were driven all the way from Hambantota.

Also behaving like santa claus and tipping everyone you see is not exactly a good idea. exercise your discretion on that.

If your audio system has a security code, make sure you get the code with the documents.

I thought they are transported via carrier trucks

• Like 1

I thought they would deliver the car to Kandy showroom... :o so it seems I have to go to colombo to take delivery...

Nice Siggy, Knight Rider 2008 Font right ? :)

• Like 1

They keep those in a yard in Wattala

You can request them to bring it to a branch,

We collected our monty from the hydepark branch.

Thats great news, gotta call them and ask...

Nice Siggy, Knight Rider 2008 Font right ? :)

Thanks ^_^ yup it is KR 2008 font. Credits goes to komi.

Edited by Bracket

Frustrating News... :/ Delivery was to be made on next monday but now Unimo guys say my permit isn't linked to treasury... (What?) dont know what that means but it's gonna be delayed two or three more days until their logistics division sort out the problem... oh well... :sad-smiley-034: