• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

Hi all, yesterday I got to know about a repair shop in Malabe said to be specializing in Hondas called SU Motors, Godalla Wathe Rd, Malabe operated by an ex St#fford M#tors guy named Upul generally called Honda Upul. Some one known to me did a repair on the axel and he was very much impressed with the job. Read the Google Map reviews, both positive and negative are there. however one 5 start rating caught my attention. approx. 2 page review was posted by someone left a very good impression. 

Anybody have any experiences with this place, appreciate if you could share.

Edited by tinyman

Ok so here’s an update. Got my service done at the agents with a lovely bill of 28.5k. Used Motul 0w20 this time as they didn’t have any fully synthetic 5w30 and they apparently don’t carry any other oil brands now. Don’t feel any difference from my previous Mobil1 so I guess it’s alright.

On another note, my Amaron EFB battery has started its journey to the graveyard as the idle stop doesn’t work any more. I’ll give it around a year before it dies on me now.

With regards to fuel, I had to pump 92 octane twice unfortunately due to the scarcity of 95. No additives. Absolutely horrible mileage as I only got like 250km for an entire full tank. Used to do 400km or so on a full tank of 95oct. Not much engine knocking as I drove in Economy mode and kept it under 3k rpm. Emissions test came out better than the previous time too with a lower idle rpm and CO2 emission surprisingly. Managed to get back to 95oct and it feels better with improved mileage, however it isn’t like how it used to be about 2 months back. It’s currently mixed up though so will report once I have done a full cycle with 95. What I’ve noticed is that LIOC’s fuel gives better performance for some weird reason.

It’s been an utter pain trying to get the tyre pressure checked regularly though with the fuel Q’s. Managed to get it done over the weekend though as the Q’s regressed.

As for the rat repellent, it works wonders. I keep spraying it every month and the critters haven’t sighted the garage so far. Works a charm. I even used it on the garage gate to keep them further away. Looks like they know to stay away from my home now. Only issue is that a neighborhood cat seems to love my car’s bonnet now. Keep getting its fur all over the windscreen every morning. Here’s hoping the spray doesn’t contain some feline pheromones; last thing I want is this male cat making love on top of the car!

By the way, has anyone changed wiper blades yet? Mine are squeaky so the rubber is due a refresh. Any recommendations?

• Thanks 1

Ok so here’s an update. Got my service done at the agents with a lovely bill of 28.5k. Used Motul 0w20 this time as they didn’t have any fully synthetic 5w30 and they apparently don’t carry any other oil brands now. Don’t feel any difference from my previous Mobil1 so I guess it’s alright.

On another note, my Amaron EFB battery has started its journey to the graveyard as the idle stop doesn’t work any more. I’ll give it around a year before it dies on me now.

With regards to fuel, I had to pump 92 octane twice unfortunately due to the scarcity of 95. No additives. Absolutely horrible mileage as I only got like 250km for an entire full tank. Used to do 400km or so on a full tank of 95oct. Not much engine knocking as I drove in Economy mode and kept it under 3k rpm. Emissions test came out better than the previous time too with a lower idle rpm and CO2 emission surprisingly. Managed to get back to 95oct and it feels better with improved mileage, however it isn’t like how it used to be about 2 months back. It’s currently mixed up though so will report once I have done a full cycle with 95. What I’ve noticed is that LIOC’s fuel gives better performance for some weird reason.

It’s been an utter pain trying to get the tyre pressure checked regularly though with the fuel Q’s. Managed to get it done over the weekend though as the Q’s regressed.

As for the rat repellent, it works wonders. I keep spraying it every month and the critters haven’t sighted the garage so far. Works a charm. I even used it on the garage gate to keep them further away. Looks like they know to stay away from my home now. Only issue is that a neighborhood cat seems to love my car’s bonnet now. Keep getting its fur all over the windscreen every morning. Here’s hoping the spray doesn’t contain some feline pheromones; last thing I want is this male cat making love on top of the car!

By the way, has anyone changed wiper blades yet? Mine are squeaky so the rubber is due a refresh. Any recommendations?

10 hours ago, misnad said:

Been using NWBs for few years now. Last pair lasted over 2 years. Can recommend. Got them from Gree**Mon*** paid 10,000+ for the new pair 1 month back. 2 Years ago same pair was 6000 😪

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, misnad said:

What's the oil model you used? i used Motul 8100 Eco-nergy on my last service around 6 months back. they were going to use something else but i insisted on this after some web search reccomondations & it was more expensive adding around extra 10K to the bill as i remember.

I Heard the Non-fully synthetic oils isnt good for the turbo as it shares the same oil from engine.

Also the manual says to use Only Honda Oil type 2.0 if using 0w-20?

oil.jpg

30 minutes ago, NemesisArc said:

Stafford put 10W30 oil at the last service. I'm clueless on the oil type to be used. mine had about 40k on ODO.

22 minutes ago, tinyman said:

Stafford put 10W30 oil at the last service. I'm clueless on the oil type to be used. mine had about 40k on ODO.

0w-30 or 10w-30 is fine to use. (number before "w" does not matter for us as it for winter)

What matters is that the oil has to be fully synthetic for the 10th gen civics. most modern vehicles for that matter.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NemesisArc said:

0w-30 or 10w-30 is fine to use. (number before "w" does not matter for us as it for winter)

What matters is that the oil has to be fully synthetic for the 10th gen civics. most modern vehicles for that matter.

Motul Oil Stafford was using is semi synthetic..  attached is the page from European Civic 1.5 manual. it doesn't say anything about using Synthetic only. I got this from a Civix thread.

image1.PNG

6 minutes ago, tinyman said:

Motul Oil Stafford was using is semi synthetic..  attached is the page from European Civic 1.5 manual. it doesn't say anything about using Synthetic only. I got this from a Civix thread.

Manual recommended type 2.0 oil is fully synthetic.

You can alos go to oil manufacture websites and search for the vehicle and it recommends fully synthetic too.

• Thanks 1

It looks the civic 2018 suffers oil burning issue. I noted the 2nd Civic with the same problem received by the garage I go. In one, the turbo unit has also busted!!!!

5 hours ago, vitz said:

It looks the civic 2018 suffers oil burning issue. I noted the 2nd Civic with the same problem received by the garage I go. In one, the turbo unit has also busted!!!!

Which engine option are those; 1L turbo or 1.5L turbo..?

There could be a real possibility of the poor maintenance nah, given the turbo + engine issue ~ if I have not mistaken, the both units share the same oil.

On 6/1/2022 at 1:01 PM, NemesisArc said:

What's the oil model you used? i used Motul 8100 Eco-nergy on my last service around 6 months back. they were going to use something else but i insisted on this after some web search reccomondations & it was more expensive adding around extra 10K to the bill as i remember.

I Heard the Non-fully synthetic oils isnt good for the turbo as it shares the same oil from engine.

Used Motul H-Tech 0w20 as the 0w30 A5 and 5w30 fully synthetic oils weren’t in stock. Noticed that all ACEA rated oils are far pricier than those by API.

Been using Mobil1 0w20 for over 2 years now and it’s run better than  Castrol Edge 5w30 did. I don’t abuse the throttle so I guess that’s helped 😀.

• Like 1

Today I got the new price list for Mobil oils, not looking good though..

On 6/2/2022 at 3:26 PM, misnad said:

Used Motul H-Tech 0w20 as the 0w30 A5 and 5w30 fully synthetic oils weren’t in stock. Noticed that all ACEA rated oils are far pricier than those by API.

Been using Mobil1 0w20 for over 2 years now and it’s run better than  Castrol Edge 5w30 did. I don’t abuse the throttle so I guess that’s helped 😀.

1m.thumb.JPG.bda5e075016c50088facba4ba90bb762.JPG

2m.thumb.JPG.76aa3a1c0348ee919c2857d0f7ce8d34.JPG

On 6/2/2022 at 10:17 AM, tinyman said:

Which engine option are those; 1L turbo or 1.5L turbo..?

There could be a real possibility of the poor maintenance nah, given the turbo + engine issue ~ if I have not mistaken, the both units share the same oil.

I am not sure about the engine option. Poor maintenance would be the reason. 

On 6/1/2022 at 2:16 PM, tinyman said:

image1.PNG

Is your car a Japanese Domestic Model?  I use Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 on my FC1. I will be switching to Motul H-Tec 100 Plus 0w-20 for my next service at 30,000 KM due to the cost. My JDM owners manual says 0w-20 or 5w-30 that is API SN grade. For best fuel economy it says 0w-20. I would stick to fully synthetic because of the oil dilution issue on the 1.5T.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:02 AM, vitz said:

Only those ones with poor maintenance or timely maintenance with poor knowledge. Car needs fully synthetic oils with XW-30 viscosity and with ACEA conformity as per the manual. Many people including Stafford put semi-synthetic oils to this car. Early days Mobil Super 2000 was used, now they used Motul 4100. If you check the history of those cars with busted turbos or other issues, they were at some point were subject to this improper maintenance. so failures were inevitable, especially these issues which doesn't come immediately.

I've used Mobil1 ESP (following the owners manual) from Day1 and haven't had a single issue with the car. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shismo said:

Is your car a Japanese Domestic Model?  I use Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 on my FC1. I will be switching to Motul H-Tec 100 Plus 0w-20 for my next service at 30,000 KM due to the cost. My JDM owners manual says 0w-20 or 5w-30 that is API SN grade. For best fuel economy it says 0w-20. I would stick to fully synthetic because of the oil dilution issue on the 1.5T.

My car is a Australian import, made in Thailand. Is oil dilution issue is a known issue in 1.5L, if so isn't it better to use a ...W30 oil with higher viscosity than using a w20 oil. 

2 hours ago, GWX777 said:

Only those ones with poor maintenance or timely maintenance with poor knowledge. Car needs fully synthetic oils with XW-30 viscosity and with ACEA conformity as per the manual. Many people including Stafford put semi-synthetic oils to this car. Early days Mobil Super 2000 was used, now they used Motul 4100. If you check the history of those cars with busted turbos or other issues, they were at some point were subject to this improper maintenance. so failures were inevitable, especially these issues which doesn't come immediately.

I've used Mobil1 ESP (following the owners manual) from Day1 and haven't had a single issue with the car. 

I've only done 6,000km since purchase. previous owner had 36k on Odo.  Stafford has put Motul 4k semi synthetic oil on the last service. I may have to switched to synthetic oil soon.

By the way, yesterday I was on the highway and was able to hear a very mild racer/pully sound from the engine bay. tried turning off the AC with no change. Car was on cruise at about 1600RPM doing 90kmph. Starting to wonder whether I should check the turbo immediately. 

26 minutes ago, tinyman said:

I've only done 6,000km since purchase. previous owner had 36k on Odo.  Stafford has put Motul 4k semi synthetic oil on the last service. I may have to switched to synthetic oil soon.

By the way, yesterday I was on the highway and was able to hear a very mild racer/pully sound from the engine bay. tried turning off the AC with no change. Car was on cruise at about 1600RPM doing 90kmph. Starting to wonder whether I should check the turbo immediately. 

@GWX777has mentioned about the 1.0T UK model and not the 1.5T. If you have the 1.5T follow the instructions of the manual for the 1.5T. There hasn't been any reports on turbo issues on the 1.5T as per my knowledge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GWX777 said:

Exactly! I too had to ask stafford forcefully to use fully synthetic oils from day once as they were using semi-syn on this car as you said. i used mobil fully synthetic as per manual so far too but recently they've swithed to Motul and used - 8100 which complies with the recommended standards on my last service.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tinyman said:

My car is a Australian import, made in Thailand. Is oil dilution issue is a known issue in 1.5L, if so isn't it better to use a ...W30 oil with higher viscosity than using a w20 oil. 

I was thinking the same thing and because of SL temperatures but St****rd Maradana where I service, does not let me do that. They only recommend 0w-20 saying it's better for the oil galleries.

2 hours ago, Shismo said:

I was thinking the same thing and because of SL temperatures but St****rd Maradana where I service, does not let me do that. They only recommend 0w-20 saying it's better for the oil galleries.

Surprisingly they (Stafford-Maradhana) have put 10W30 oil in my car..

After previous post, I read an article about the oil dilution issue. It appears to be affecting the cars operating in the freezing cold temperatures. I hope the Colombo folks will be least likely to be affected.

2 hours ago, NemesisArc said:

Exactly! I too had to ask stafford forcefully to use fully synthetic oils from day once as they were using semi-syn on this car as you said. i used mobil fully synthetic as per manual so far too but recently they've swithed to Motul and used - 8100 which complies with the recommended standards on my last service.

Yep. 1.0T uses a newly designed timing belt which is designed to last 10yrs/200,000km. This runs submerged in engine oil. If you use oils that cannot withstand higher temperatures of the turbo, or without adequate additives, first part to fail would be the timing belt. The outer coating of this belt peels off and those particles cause blockage at various filters inside the engine. So the turbo runs starving oil, which causes it to fail. Same could apply to certain seals as well. So if a turbo is busted,  it’s not merely a bad turbo, but what I mentioned above. I’ve heard of people who has changed turbos as frequent as oil filters and still runs with some Toyota 0W-20 or Mobil Super semi. 

Owners manual suggests to use Honda Type 2.0 oil, if you want to use a XW-20 viscosity oil. If it’s unavailable, then they ask to go for a XW-30 (X can be 0,5,10 but irrelevant for us as we don’t hit sub-zero temps here) commercially available oil. When I checked directly with Honda UK, they suggested to go for Castrol Edge Professional H fully synthetic 5W-30 (the “H” denotes that it’s manufactured by Castrol in collaboration with Honda)

So for my car which is equipped with a GPF as well (GPF was alien to many when I enquired it from many places) - it’s there in any 1.0T model manufactured after mid 2018. I needed an engine oil compatible with ACEA C2/C3 so my choice was Mobil1 ESP 5W-30. Owning the car for close to 4 years and only periodic maintenance was needed to be done. And as per onboard oil monitor system. It’s that simple and peaceful to maintain this car, if done the right way.. 😇🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tinyman said:

Surprisingly they (Stafford-Maradhana) have put 10W30 oil in my car..

After previous post, I read an article about the oil dilution issue. It appears to be affecting the cars operating in the freezing cold temperatures. I hope the Colombo folks will be least likely to be affected.

Oddly I wanted to change to 0w-30 Motul 8100 Eco Clean and the service advisor wouldn't let me, he only recommended 0w-20. At that point I brought the oil (Mobil 1) from outside anyway after they switched to Motul. On the 1.5T I would use 5w-30 or 0w-30 but would not use 10w-30. Whilst it will not be an issue in the hot Colombo weather by any chance you do travel to a cold climate and have to do a cold starts it may impact your internals. The other thing you have to look out for is LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition). These high strung low displacement turbocharged direct injected engines are notorious for it and the engine oil plays a key part in ensuring it does not happen..

Yes, I think weather is not a problem in Colombo but if you do very short trips (i.e. not allowing the engine to get up to operating temperature to burn the fuel off) over time fuel accumulates in the oil and starts thinning the oil out. I guess this affects me more than anyone else due to the way I use my car.