• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan leaf pumping gas or am I tripping? :)

HaeylM

3 hours ago, JayZ said:

Heard somewhere that few Leaf's were converted to petrol engines due to battery issue.  May be this is one of them. 

interesting... Is it like a drivetrain transplant from a compatible car or a custom build? 

On 3/19/2021 at 9:44 PM, HaeylM said:

interesting... Is it like a drivetrain transplant from a compatible car or a custom build? 

Apparently it is a drivetrain transplant from a Nissan March, ngl when I took a peak under a Nissan Leaf "Engine Bay" the main engine unit looked like an actual engine, a couple of modified engine mount points and a petrol tank should be able to sort stuff out

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ajm said:

Interesting, but he still doesn't need to do emissions test right?🤣

Lmao I just realized this and nope, I guess unless the cop is standing right next to the car, they too wouldn't know. 

But in all reality these cars as electric have a expiry date on them since nobody can import batteries or the batteries themselves cost as much as the car

• Haha 1

Members,

Our Mechanics were capable of modifying any thing about 30 years ago, good to hear that modification. yes cops will not know the owner had modified the Leaf. They will check the Insurance and the license of the vehicle with no knowledge of Electric or Petrol.

I will post a detail knoweledge of our Police officers, to the thread which is allowed by the moderators fore me to write about Motor vehicles and related matters. ( Refelections of automobile history of our country by me)

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:08 PM, MaleCortana said:

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JayZ said:

Saw this on YouTube. They are replacing the Hybrid system from an Aqua.

What he does is commendable, but then its a load of bull. Hybrid doesnt mean that it runs on fully electric no matter how much he argues about being green. A Toyota Aqua will run approx 1 km on fuel battery power before switching back on to petrol and after a certain speed it will go back to the petrol engine. 

Legally you can replace an engine on an ICE vehicle, but then there is a big penalty you have to pay in case you convert petrol to diesel. I dont know how the RMV / Government would look at this. The guy himself says that he has approached RMV but no response yet.

It is what it will be a bastard car with a Leaf Shell, internals of a Aqua and the dashboard of a Axio. 

I know that a lot of Leaf owners are wondering what to do, in fact that is one of the biggest issues when it comes to reluctance of people going for EV's. The Leaf was a brilliant car at that time but then when the battery went down so did the people's trust. Maybe the government should look at putting these back on the road and look at disposing of old batteries and replacing with new units rather let them go this way. Govt itself wanted to promote solar powered cars (which are not in the market yet) so this could be a stepping stone for them, tell Nissan to come up with a solution or I know that we have brilliant minds that could come up with a solution.

Edited by Gummybr

well if you look at the pertol to diesel conversions some time ago like 504 or Hyundai Steller (most large cars that the owners thought it was economical - now you dont see them on the road now)

this too might be some thing like economical but on the long run will be a disaster and as we have motorways when these conversion hit a motorway it will be disaster. last time when i went matara there was more than 10 vehicles broken down.

most unroadworthy cars goes for these conversions. we need to scrap the cars get a full insurance cover and if the car is not salvable needs to scarp it. 

Members,

There are few work shops in Colombo and close to Colombo who do Hybrid car battery repairs. What they do is change a good battery cell from a good battery, change in to the faulty cell. Later they recharge the repaired battery in a correct way give a very short time of guarantee and send off.

I know few of those who repair H/B battery's, they them self say it is not a very good solution for the repaired battery. Those battery repairers say they help H/B car owner's to use the vehicle for some time with a very low cost instead of spending money for a new battery.

I remember about decade ago one member of A/L was supporting about H/B cars, I don't see him posting any more, if my memory is correct he had few misunderstandings with A/L Moderators and he was warned number of times like to my self. At that era H/B cars was coming to the country, many people who was able bought new and used vehicles.

That time few knew about H/B Batter's of vehicles. At present there are H/B battery repairers are all over the country. I know few new H/B car owners, went back to Engine driven vehicles. I have had close chat with them because they are my Customers, what was their reply was new cars they were able to use for about 5 years without any problem, when they calculated the maintenance of a Engine driven car and a battery powered assisted with a smaller engine, the saving is not a very much different when they go to buy a new battery.

I leave members for their comments to my post.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sylvi said:

Members,

There are few work shops in Colombo and close to Colombo who do Hybrid car battery repairs. What they do is change a good battery cell from a good battery, change in to the faulty cell. Later they recharge the repaired battery in a correct way give a very short time of guarantee and send off.

I know few of those who repair H/B battery's, they them self say it is not a very good solution for the repaired battery. Those battery repairers say they help H/B car owner's to use the vehicle for some time with a very low cost instead of spending money for a new battery.

I remember about decade ago one member of A/L was supporting about H/B cars, I don't see him posting any more, if my memory is correct he had few misunderstandings with A/L Moderators and he was warned number of times like to my self. At that era H/B cars was coming to the country, many people who was able bought new and used vehicles.

That time few knew about H/B Batter's of vehicles. At present there are H/B battery repairers are all over the country. I know few new H/B car owners, went back to Engine driven vehicles. I have had close chat with them because they are my Customers, what was their reply was new cars they were able to use for about 5 years without any problem, when they calculated the maintenance of a Engine driven car and a battery powered assisted with a smaller engine, the saving is not a very much different when they go to buy a new battery.

I leave members for their comments to my post.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Yes I remember the guy who was promoting the Prius and the green vehicles so much, must be hiding under a rock by now when things go bad.

I dont think that you should do away with those cars, just that government should incentivize the public for using EV's and maybe promote people to replace and run them like the EV conversions done in other countries. cant be that hard with the new Battery tech etc.

I watched this on youtube, seems like something that used car importers & parts importers can get together and do. I'm sure if your genuine the government will also help. 

Eco freaks would talk about the disposal of the old battery, but I think they have a plan for that as well, as in for home Electricity and helping low budget car builder etc.

On 4/9/2021 at 9:41 AM, Gummybr said:

Yes I remember the guy who was promoting the Prius and the green vehicles so much, must be hiding under a rock by now when things go bad.

I dont think that you should do away with those cars, just that government should incentivize the public for using EV's and maybe promote people to replace and run them like the EV conversions done in other countries. cant be that hard with the new Battery tech etc.

Yeah I remember that chap has brought few cars to our office to promote them including a E-Golf. what I think is, Grey imported EVs never gonna workout without Dealer or Agent support, these should be imported with the support of Agent or dealer with after sales service and Parts. what happened to Leafs are purely because Car sale mudalalis during that period of time tried to earn some quick buck and our "herd" falls for that.

• 1 month later...

Members,

I had a chat with a person who imports battery's to Sri Lanka. He was in business for more than 4 decades in battery's.

He is studding the H/B battery cell changing with new battery packs, so that any body can change H/B battery cell with locally assembled new battery.

Will keep A/L informed any new developments.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.