• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Post Whoring - Part 2

MADZ

Yes, had many fun times with battery dying. It is easy enough to vget in and start. The fun is when u get locked out. What sucks is the battery draining out sooner than expected because u had your smart key in your pant pockets and your mobile phone happens to be nearby in another pocket of the same pants :)

Yes, had many fun times with battery dying. It is easy enough to vget in and start. The fun is when u get locked out. What sucks is the battery draining out sooner than expected because u had your smart key in your pant pockets and your mobile phone happens to be nearby in another pocket of the same pants :)

Dude I keep the mobile phone and the smart key in the same pocket :speechless-smiley-004: Is it not good for the smart key battery?

I think when the car is started with the key around, the car does not periodically check if the key is present in proximity. Immobilizer activates only if someone managed to start the car without the proper key.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

My trusty old Nissan does.

(It won't start if the key isn't physically inside the car, if you try to start it up without the key it flashes: "NO KEY" when you hit the start/stop. If the car is started and the driver gets out of the car with the key in their pocket it doesn't shut the engine off but the display inside the speedometer flips to a "NO KEY" warning till the key is bought back inside the car.)

Edit: Read post 15192 for clarification (essentially the mobilizer will not kick in if the car is already started, regardless of whether the key is still inside the car or not).

Edited by Kavvz

Even t2he Toyotas check for the key periodically. Warns, etc, and doesnt start if key is not there. Seems like Kavvz' nissan is the same ? Issue is that like Muditha asked the engine keeps running.

ASROCK, no u are supposed to keep it away from things like cellphones,ertc as it drains out the battery. Most of the time my key doesnt even work when it is in the same pocket with my mobilephone

• Like 1

ASROCK, no u are supposed to keep it away from things like cellphones,ertc as it drains out the battery. Most of the time my key doesnt even work when it is in the same pocket with my mobilephone

Thanks, I didn’t know that. That probably explains why it doesn’t detect the key when I’m in range of a high powered transmission tower. There were instance that my key didn’t work at home, when mobile phone was in the same pocket as the key and there were no transmission towers nearby. When I put my hand inside the pocket and wiggle the thing little bit (don't get any funny ideas :D) it starts to work. Recently I replaced the battery and put the old battery to the extra key. I didn’t get that issue since that.

Even t2he Toyotas check for the key periodically. Warns, etc, and doesnt start if key is not there. Seems like Kavvz' nissan is the same ? Issue is that like Muditha asked the engine keeps running.

Yeap the car periodically checks for the key and can track where the key is in relation to the car (it will unlock the doors if the key is near but won't start until the key is actually within the car).

I need to add something I just discovered though: You guys are right. My car works in the same way. I thought my car worked differently as it detected the key pretty well in relation to the car, and because I haven't had any issues with the smart key regardless of whether its with my cellphone or near power-lines etc. But after you guys brought it up I messed about for a bit seeing if I could drive it without the key as 'asrock' and Muditha420 mentioned. And it turns out the Nissan isn't as cool as I thought for it does the same thing. If the key isn't there I see the "NO KEY" warning on the speedo cluster as soon as the key exits the car, but you can actually drive off without the key regardless of that fact if the car is already running.

I thought it was kinda stupid that it would do that and Googled to check whether my key was programmed right. It turns out that this 'feature' is apparently part of its design and is for 'safety' reasons. However it won't start again if you shut the car off without the key being present again as mentioned by some other members.

I am / was in the habit of jumping out of the car and leaving it running (to keep the A/C on) while I made a quick purchase etc. confident in the thought it can't get stolen as long as I had the key in my pocket (I expected the car to turn off / go into limp mode after a few feet if the key was not there). Not so, based on the above. Technically someone could steal it and run it indefinitely just as long as they never turned the car off.

Kinda dumb way to design it if you ask me, but then again I see the benefit in not having the car suddenly shut down in the middle of the street because I forgot to take the key with it. A better way to do it would be to have the car go into limp mode instead of running normally; but anyways at least now I know not to keep it running unattended.

Thank you 'iRage', 'asrock' & Muditha420 for the insight.

Edited by Kavvz

Anybody had funtime when your smart key battery died? I know its total ignorance of the warning light saying that the battery is low. That is the time you will hate smart keys right?

Well you can disable the smart / wireless start-stop-access feature, and turn it back into what is essentially a key fob if you so prefer...

To think about it it makes sense that the engine runs even when the key fob is not in the car. If the eng8ne did stop when key is detected then the car might stall even when the key fob's battery is dead. So...pros and cons I guess.

New Ambassador offering by DC designs for Indian MPs.

11692767_835524079866376_640985410373124

Don't want to knock a swadeshi product, but the linked page makes a reference to an Ambassador based car that was priced at 4 cores meaning almost SLR 600 lakhs ? Wow. I guess that car won't make it out of the 'concept stage'.

Anyways, when I did the leg work and googled the Hindustan Motors Ambassador it says its only roughy around SLR 8 lakhs for the base diesel. It probably drives like shit, but for an Isuzu sourced motor and trishaw resistant body panels- Not bad, not bad at all.

Edit: Okay, I take that back. While I can't find interior pictures of the 2015 model, the interiors of the 2012 model look worse than anything I've seen so far. I'd rather get an old Morris Minor and stick a used diesel engine in it along with an after market A/C unit.

Edited by Kavvz

Don't want to knock a swadeshi product, but the linked page makes a reference to an Ambassador based car that was priced at 4 cores meaning almost SLR 600 lakhs ? Wow. I guess that car won't make it out of the 'concept stage'.

Anyways, when I did the leg work and googled the Hindustan Motors Ambassador it says its only roughy around SLR 8 lakhs for the base diesel. It probably drives like shit, but for an Isuzu sourced motor and trishaw resistant body panels- Not bad, not bad at all.

Edit: Okay, I take that back. While I can't find interior pictures of the 2015 model, the interiors of the 2012 model look worse than anything I've seen so far. I'd rather get an old Morris Minor and stick a used diesel engine in it along with an after market A/C unit.

Agree. I was wondering how many Indian politicians opted to by that "4 crore" car from tax payer money. Had seen a top gear review on Ambassador and yes far worse interior than any other

• MADZ locked this topic