• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer Or Axio? Update: Bought A Lancer! (Aka The B.r.a.t.t. Thread)

Bracket

Question

Hello Experts,

Excited to join Autolanka forums :D Waited almost for month for an admin to approve me ... anyway, whoever the admin that approved me, :smilie_liebe12:

Last December, I sold my good old Maruti WagonR ( 2008 model, 5yrs old, driven for 30000+ Kms) For 1.6mil. I was searching for a good car to buy ever since. ( that's how I ended up on autolanka) So now that I finally got approved I thought it's time to get expert ideas on buying my new vehicle.

My budget is 3.5mil - 4.0mil. I wanted to buy a japanese car and browsing the internet, Finally I decided that there are two contenders:

1. Toyota axio 161 1.3 X Grade (2013)

2. Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1.6 GLX (2013)

Both the cars ( Brand New ) are being sold for 3.5 mil. for the permit. ( Lancer : 3,460,000 to be exact)

My priorities are:

-RELIABILITY
-Fuel Economy

-Spare Parts Availability

-Safety And comfort

-Handling

-Looks

- Resale value

Axio Dealers are mainly bragging of TOYOTA Reliability and Spare parts availability. They assured me I'm in deep trouble if I choose a mitsubishi because there are no spare parts in local market and I would have to buy spare parts only from agent paying a huge amount of money and I have to wait till eternity for mitsubishi agents to import parts from japan. And they also mentioned that unlike axio, I won't be able to sell the mitsubishi for a decent price. (if I wanted to, of course)

I called mitsu agents and they say they have spare parts for any vehicle they sell and I don't have to worry. However the sales guy said he have no idea on 3rd party parts availability.

So as you all can see i'm in a dilemma here. If you were in my position which car would you buy? And please be kind enough to mention why.. :)

This is my first post on autolanka, so please go easy on me if I have offended any rule.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Bracket

Guys,

Can you recommend me a place to fix one of these to BRATT? This may sound hilarious but being somewhat short (about 5'8'') when I sit on drivers seat I can't see the whole hood so I don't have any idea of where the edge of the hood is,and I feel somewhat nervous when parking and when driving in traffic. so I decided to get this fixed. I was driving a WagonR before so I didn't have this problem. Don't you guys have similar experience?

14417087564_af6bb1dde0_b.jpg

Those look like Evo X fenders!

But the Evo X fenders have a bulged up wheel arch doesn't it ? Which makes the vents more angled and almost facing the back and the body line/groove that runs just beneath the door handles seem more prominent closer towards front the fenders ? Either way, it looks pretty neat....

So Bracket....number 1 is a retractable pole (2 being the switch) and number 3 is a non-retractable always raised-up pole (now there is something I never knew I would say on a car forum). Not sure about the retractable one, if that is what you want, but whilst hunting for door handles along Darley road quite a few of those shops had after market poles, same with some accessories shops I visited in Delkanda...so it does seem to be somewhat available and I guess it would be the same in Kandy ? If you want an actual Mitsu unit that might require some special ordering

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2

This may sound hilarious but being somewhat short (about 5'8'') when I sit on drivers seat I can't see the whole hood so I don't have any idea of where the edge of the hood is,and I feel somewhat nervous when parking and when driving in traffic. so I decided to get this fixed. I was driving a WagonR before so I didn't have this problem. Don't you guys have similar experience?

Try some cushions on the driving seat :D But I'm like 5'5" and never had a problem like that. You will get used to it after a while.

• Like 2

@iRage : Thanks mate , I will call UNIMO and check whether its possible to bring down an OEM one. BTW what is this unit called? that pic was taken from a galant fortis accessories catalogue and its in japanese.

@Reckless: As I drove the waggy for 5+ years I think I'm still used to it. Its just that I hate to have a scratch on BRATT, I think I'm paranoid ;)

@iRage : Thanks mate , I will call UNIMO and check whether its possible to bring down an OEM one. BTW what is this unit called? that pic was taken from a galant fortis accessories catalogue and its in japanese.

@Reckless: As I drove the waggy for 5+ years I think I'm still used to it. Its just that I hate to have a scratch on BRATT, I think I'm paranoid ;)

Just to give you an idea of the prices in Japan based on the GFortis accessories catalog...

Number 3: Corner pole

MZ587358 (the catalog says it costs 17,928yen where 10,000yen is for the part 6600yen for installation plus tax on these items)

Number 1 : Remote pole

MZ587359 (24,600yen for the part + 9240 for installation + tax)

Number 3: Remote pole switch (for dashboard cluster)

MZ587356 (6200yen for part + 5280 for installation + tax)

These seem to be quite expensive in Japan...maybe there are aftermarket suppliers that might have cheaper alternatives ?

But the Evo X fenders have a bulged up wheel arch doesn't it ? Which makes the vents more angled and almost facing the back and the body line/groove that runs just beneath the door handles seem more prominent closer towards front the fenders ? Either way, it looks pretty neat....

You're right. Saw 'em on my phone and I assumed they were Evo X fenders as soon as I saw the air vents. The "blown up" fenders on the Evo is actually one of the reasons why it looks much wider than the Lancer when seen from the front.

hee hee If the original is too expensive you could try to fix an modified power antenna from a old fb13 or something. :sport-smiley-004:

<FACEPALM!!!!> at least the suggestion was not for a manual antenna where he would have to step out of the car walk around and pull it out every time :sport-smiley-004:

Personally I think once Bracket gets used to BRATT the whole issue of knowing where the front end/corner is would be resolved...

Guys,

Can you recommend me a place to fix one of these to BRATT? This may sound hilarious but being somewhat short (about 5'8'') when I sit on drivers seat I can't see the whole hood so I don't have any idea of where the edge of the hood is,and I feel somewhat nervous when parking and when driving in traffic. so I decided to get this fixed. I was driving a WagonR before so I didn't have this problem. Don't you guys have similar experience?

True. I didn't have this problem because mine came with the corner pole. You can fix this at Sun lanka . Also refer the #####. They have mentioned a lot of places there. I'm pretty sure they have some places near Kandy too. I recommend you fix some reverse sensors as well. Because if you are going for a dark tint it would help you reversing at night.It is a much more better option than repacing your original Japanese setup with a Chinese/Thailand display with a reverse cam.

533267_257683397651459_1329841783_n.jpg

Edited by sathyajithj99

@iRage : If original cost me more than 10k I would go for a cheaper one. I'll hvce to take it to unimo to get it fixed tho.

@Reckless: You aint serious rite?

@sathyajith: is it retractable? original reversing sensors (OEM) costs $350+ including shipping fees on ebay.

Can you guys recommend me a good brand for parking sensors and security system ? preferbly not chinese ? should I use only OEM ones?

Edited by Bracket

Machan I'm 6 foot tall and even I can t see any part of the hood when I'm driving. Like driving with shoes on It naturally comes to you in time. Personally I don't like that pole, so my suggestion would be give it a little time and see.

If you are going with reverse sensors I've seen some cars have front parking sensors as well, but I don't know how they work especially in a bumper to bumper traffic. Imagine every time you come near a car robotic woman screaming one meter two meter etc, I'll be like bitch ima kill you!

Anyways I don't believe you have to go all OEM on above stuff cuz it might cost you your balls and some more.

Guys,

No need of this machan,

You can increased the height of your seating position if you need. but once you get used to the car and know where your corners are you do not need these at all. just give it few weeks. you'll be fine

• Like 1